Blue Bombers add kicker to roster

Started by ModAdmin, March 25, 2023, 11:47:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjrocksmb

Quote from: Blue In BC on March 27, 2023, 04:53:33 PM
We kept an import kicker ( Mourtada ) on the PR the entire season in 2022.  No reason we don't do that in 2023. Whether it turns out to be an import or a Canadian, depth is always needed.

Still wondering if we draft and retain a Global for that purpose this season. In either case IMO it will be difficult to have either on the AR unless he absolutely wins the starting role. I fully expect Mauro to be our 2nd global on the AR and having an import as a DI is difficult. Neither situation is impossible but not the 1st choice I'd imagine.
Thanks I forgot about that!

Blue In BC

Not long before both the Global and Canadian drafts. Will be interesting to see which players are available when we pick and which direction we choose to go. Most teams drafted global kickers in 2022 and many of those remained on CFL rosters. I could imagine we MIGHT consider drafting one with less activity from other teams at that position. OTOH, it will depend what other talent might be available. While we did draft kickers in 2022, neither seemed interested in the CFL.

At the moment we have some decent global depth at various positions ( better than several teams IMO ). Only 3 rounds so we'll see if we can find one very good player that will beat out 3 or 4 currently probably headed to the PR at best. As mentioned IMO Hansen and Maruo make the game day roster barring injury.

For the Canadian draft we don't really have many open roster spots. So depending on who is available I could see us taking a flyer on a player likely to try for an NFL deal before coming to the CFL.

The combine suggests there are some good potential candidates at several positions. I'd use the 1st pick on one that could stick in the CFL. OTOH, I'd consider round 2 or 3 as " futures " either returning to Canadian college or NFL chances.

Regardless, it's going to be interesting.  Always wonder whether we consider any sort of trade with some of our depth players to move up in round # 1?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Not many roster openings for NATs, for sure, but you never say no to an upgrade, especually for a player that might be great today, but might cost too much, leave in FA or get injured.  You can never have too much depth.

No issue with using a 3rd rounder on a complete flyer, but I'd like to get BPA in rounds one and two, especially if there are skill players there like Ford was.

We did the Global P draft last year, 2/3rds of the draft picks were P, and 0% of them came to camp.  If we got that route again, I'd like the team to get confirmation that a draftd player MIGHT come to camp...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on March 28, 2023, 03:25:54 PM
Not many roster openings for NATs, for sure, but you never say no to an upgrade, especually for a player that might be great today, but might cost too much, leave in FA or get injured.  You can never have too much depth.

No issue with using a 3rd rounder on a complete flyer, but I'd like to get BPA in rounds one and two, especially if there are skill players there like Ford was.

We did the Global P draft last year, 2/3rds of the draft picks were P, and 0% of them came to camp.  If we got that route again, I'd like the team to get confirmation that a draftd player MIGHT come to camp...

Ford could be back and could turn out to be a very good CFL player. We'll have to see how his NFL efforts go. Ticks me off that the ratio rules allow Canadians to leave after just 1 year.

It's a different risk with imports and the larger pool of players. Canadians are protected by the ratio but want to eat their cake too, so to speak.

He was our 1st pick in 2022 at # 13 and barely saw the field until late in the season.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

pjrocksmb

I agree mostly with BnBC's approach.  I guess things can change if we get some injuries in camp or early in the season and then that depth could prove valuable and would be good to continue our development of new faces.

Good comments too ards

Blue In BC

Quote from: pjrocksmb on March 28, 2023, 06:19:09 PM
I agree mostly with BnBC's approach.  I guess things can change if we get some injuries in camp or early in the season and then that depth could prove valuable and would be good to continue our development of new faces.

Good comments too ards

The catch is the drafts happen long before TC and even rookie camps. Could well be that a few Canadians drafted will return to college for 1 more year and be real challengers in 2024.

Some of our talent is getting older and we could be looking at a succession plan for 2024.

I never know much about the new draft class and / or who might be looking to the NFL. Makes it hard to speculate on who might be on our radar in a given round.

That said we've done a good job developing players on the PR, so that will continue.
2019 Grey Cup Champions