Blue Bombers add five to roster - March 15, 2023

Started by ModAdmin, March 15, 2023, 06:16:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue In BC

What happened to all the news of rookie signings and news in general? Snore fest lately. Nothing but crickets. Draft coming next week but need to see some players added before rookie camp.

Current roster is 84 players if updated correctly.  About 22 new faces although a couple are CFL veterans.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on April 26, 2023, 05:30:44 PM
What happened to all the news of rookie signings and news in general?

Is the XFL / USFL putting a dent in CFL recruitment plans?  Or maybe we feel we have "enough"?  Dunno.
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on April 26, 2023, 10:53:09 PM
Is the XFL / USFL putting a dent in CFL recruitment plans?  Or maybe we feel we have "enough"?  Dunno.

Perhaps but other teams seem to adding players lately.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

ModAdmin

Quote from: Blue In BC on April 26, 2023, 10:57:16 PM
Perhaps but other teams seem to adding players lately.

Other teams have some of the same needs as the Bombers, many don't. But just because other teams are adding players does not mean we need to follow suit.  One can argue more players in camp are better but if the recruitment is strategic and focused that may be the route to follow rather than just "adding players".  The Bombers have been improving over several years.  They seem to have a formula in drafting, trading and recruitment that works for them.  Until proven wrong, I will go with the present process.  "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Just saying that most of the other teams have to do a lot more than the Bombers to improve their teams and that means bringing in more competition.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Blue In BC

Quote from: ModAdmin on April 27, 2023, 07:02:10 AM
Other teams have some of the same needs as the Bombers, many don't. But just because other teams are adding players does not mean we need to follow suit.  One can argue more players in camp are better but if the recruitment is strategic and focused that may be the route to follow rather than just "adding players".  The Bombers have been improving over several years.  They seem to have a formula in drafting, trading and recruitment that works for them.  Until proven wrong, I will go with the present process.  "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Just saying that most of the other teams have to do a lot more than the Bombers to improve their teams and that means bringing in more competition.

Walters had said he planned to add another 30 - 35 players awhile back and we've added perhaps 7 since then in April. The draft will add another 10 so we're still far under his comment.

It's not the total specifically but the balance needed to run drills within positional groups .For example, I count 20 DB's but only 13 receivers. In the past we've usually had about 20 of each. 3 QB's need some bodies to throw to with DB's covering them. For that matter I'd expect a 4th QB in TC.

I agree we have less roster issues than other teams but that wasn't the focus of my statement.

We still have to fill 12 PR spots and you want to find those with the most upside. It's a volume business regardless of whether you have a set veteran roster.  Mini camps were held to find candidates.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pigskin

13 receivers, trying out for a couple of PR spots. I would like to see more DL.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pigskin on April 27, 2023, 06:50:57 PM
13 receivers, trying out for a couple of PR spot. I would like to see more DL.

13 receivers in total, not all rookies. Only 5. We have 3 receivers that were on PR most of last year.  Yes we could use a couple more DL in the mix.
2019 Grey Cup Champions