Blue Bombers add five to roster - March 15, 2023

Started by ModAdmin, March 15, 2023, 06:16:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModAdmin

WINNIPEG, MB., March 15, 2023 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the signing of American quarterback Billy Hall, American defensive tackle O?Bryan Goodson, American receivers Manasseh Bailey and Tre Turner, and National defensive back Jordan Veltri.

Hall (6-3, 200, Reinhardt University; born: August 9, 1999, in Oneida, TN) appeared in 29 games over three seasons with the Eagles and completed 55 percent of his passes for 4,132 yards with 45 touchdowns against 15 interceptions and 17 rushing touchdowns. He had a quarterback efficiency rating of 148.9 in his senior season at Reinhardt (2021-22), throwing for 20 touchdowns and nine interceptions, while rushing for 10 touchdowns.

Goodson (6-1, 295, University of Memphis; born: September 1, 1998, in Batesville, MS) joins the Blue Bombers after starting 33 of 35 games in his four-year collegiate career with the Tigers. In Goodson's senior season, he had 28 total tackles, eight tackles for a loss, four quarterback sacks, two forced fumbles and one fumble recovery and was named to the 2020 First-Team All-American Athletic Conference squad while helping Memphis win the 2020 Montgomery Bowl. He was an Honorable Mention All-AAC in 2019. He was most recently with the XFL?s Seattle Sea Dragons after being selected by the club in the 2020 XFL Draft but was released at the end of training camp this winter.

Bailey (6-1, 195, Morgan State, February 21, 1999 in Suitland, MD) signed with the Philadelphia Eagles as an undrafted free agent in 2020. He also had brief stints with the Los Angeles Chargers and New York Jets before signing with the Montreal Alouettes practice roster in 2021. Collegiately, Bailey played four seasons at Morgan State (2016-19). He caught 115 passes for 2,031 yards, 20 touchdowns, and two carries for four yards in 43 games for the Bears. He is a 2019 All-MEAC Third Team and Phil Steele?s All-MEAC First Team in 2019.

Turner (6-2, 187, Virginia Tech; born: April 21, 2000, in Greensboro, NC) played in 44 games (36 starts) over four years with the Hokies (2018-21) and finished his collegiate career with 134 receptions for 2,292 yards and 14 touchdowns, adding 53 carries for 456 yards and four more scores. In his senior season, Turner finished with 40 receptions for 675 yards and three touchdowns and 12 caries for 64 yards, and was named to the PFF College All-ACC Second Team followed by an invitation to the 2022 Senior Bowl. He spent time with the Las Vegas Raiders in 2022.

Veltri (6-0, 200, Wifrid Laurier, June 24, 1998 in Burlington, ON)  played five seasons at Wilfrid Laurier University (2017-22) with 66 tackles, 2.5 sacks, and ten pass breakups in 30 games for the Golden Hawks. In his final season, Veltri had 40 tackles, 2.5 sacks, and one pass breakup in ten games. He was selected to the OUA Second Team All-Star in 2022.

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

LXTSN

Is Billy Hall our new short yardage QB?
The one (most important) stat that I would consider would be fumbles, and he fumbled 7 times his last year!
Hoping theres more to come!

Blue In BC

Quote from: LXTSN on March 15, 2023, 06:29:15 PM
The one (most important) stat that I would consider would be fumbles, and he fumbled 7 times his last year!

Every team needs a few QB's to run drills in TC. Every team will be looking at candidates at Open Tryouts etc. So I expect we'll see some other faces that may or may not displace any given player just signed.

It's not unusual to see some players not even make it to the full TC. So I wouldn't read to much into his signing one way or another. Typically we don't know if he'll be our 3rd QB or even a candidate for the PR.

The real discussions start after we've assembled most of the actual TC roster a week or so before TC. Until then, who knows how / where some early signings end up.

Sometimes the early signings turnout to be stars and sometimes it the late signings that surprise us.

Your point about the fumbles is something to consider though, although he a managed to run for 10 TD's. That's something too.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

kkc60

Quote from: LXTSN on March 15, 2023, 06:29:15 PM
The fumbles would require some context though. For all we know, a good few of them could have been strip sacks or arms getting hit when throwing. That?s not excusing then of course, but if they?re mostly pocket-collapsed fumbles then for his role here I would not be too concerned

pjrocksmb

LXTSN

Quote from: Blue In BC on March 15, 2023, 08:02:18 PM
Every team needs a few QB's to run drills in TC. Every team will be looking at candidates at Open Tryouts etc. So I expect we'll see some other faces that may or may not displace any given player just signed.

It's not unusual to see some players not even make it to the full TC. So I wouldn't read to much into his signing one way or another. Typically we don't know if he'll be our 3rd QB or even a candidate for the PR.

The real discussions start after we've assembled most of the actual TC roster a week or so before TC. Until then, who knows how / where some early signings end up.

Sometimes the early signings turnout to be stars and sometimes it the late signings that surprise us.

Your point about the fumbles is something to consider though, although he a managed to run for 10 TD's. That's something too.
I know that's an overreaction. I just hope he's not the only one we are giving a shot. I feel like there are many more dudes out there that we could give a shot.

the paw

Quote from: LXTSN on March 16, 2023, 01:10:35 PM
I know that's an overreaction. I just hope he's not the only one we are giving a shot. I feel like there are many more dudes out there that we could give a shot.

I am betting they go into camp with 5 QBs, one of whom may be a USport/CIS guy getting experience.  So I would expect them to sign at least one more QB.
grab grass 'n growl

Blue In BC

Quote from: the paw on March 16, 2023, 02:39:05 PM
I am betting they go into camp with 5 QBs, one of whom may be a USport/CIS guy getting experience.  So I would expect them to sign at least one more QB.

Sure. Big chance they look at 6 or so rookies in the try out camps they hold. Someone might get an invite, or they get a QB off the neg list to head north. Thinking we see 4 or 5 in TC is reasonable. They need them to test receivers against the DB's they bring to camp as well as testing QB skills. Things also pick up after NFL draft and possibly end of XFL and USFL seasons where players are released.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Quote from: Blue In BC on March 16, 2023, 02:51:31 PM
Sure. Big chance they look at 6 or so rookies in the try out camps they hold. Someone might get an invite, or they get a QB off the neg list to head north. Thinking we see 4 or 5 in TC is reasonable. They need them to test receivers against the DB's they bring to camp as well as testing QB skills. Things also pick up after NFL draft and possibly end of XFL and USFL seasons where players are released.

Do XFL and USFL contracts end at end of season?  I know they probably all have NFL outs in them, but do they have CFL outs?  Are they all released after the season ends, or do the contracts stay in force to the next season, or at least until a FA period like CFL contracts do?  Do they have provisions for a "CFL window"?  You would think there is some mecahnism in place to keep some continuity, and not have a clean slate every spring, especially with a 5 or 6 week TC/preseason.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on March 16, 2023, 02:58:21 PM
Do XFL and USFL contracts end at end of season?  I know they probably all have NFL outs in them, but do they have CFL outs?  Are they all released after the season ends, or do the contracts stay in force to the next season, or at least until a FA period like CFL contracts do?  Do they have provisions for a "CFL window"?  You would think there is some mecahnism in place to keep some continuity, and not have a clean slate every spring, especially with a 5 or 6 week TC/preseason.

I don't think they end in most cases. IIRC both leagues have NFL option windows similar to CFL. OTOH, some players ( PR ) or others may ask for and be given out right releases.

Those teams will re-evaluate those they want to return so there could be some cleaning house of those that didn't live up to expectations etc. Low value contracts mean few are held in high regard and easily replaced.

I'd expect some teams in both those leagues to be moved to other cities where fan bases might be larger. I have to expect some transition from players to coaches to franchises themselves.

In any case CFL teams hold a 6 or so tryout camps and there will be QB's looked at there as well. After the NFL draft some current back up / PR players will become available along with those not drafted or getting UDFA deals.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blue In BC

Quote from: ModAdmin on March 15, 2023, 06:16:13 PM

WINNIPEG, MB., March 15, 2023 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the signing of American quarterback Billy Hall, American defensive tackle O?Bryan Goodson, American receivers Manasseh Bailey and Tre Turner, and National defensive back Jordan Veltri.

Hall (6-3, 200, Reinhardt University; born: August 9, 1999, in Oneida, TN) appeared in 29 games over three seasons with the Eagles and completed 55 percent of his passes for 4,132 yards with 45 touchdowns against 15 interceptions and 17 rushing touchdowns. He had a quarterback efficiency rating of 148.9 in his senior season at Reinhardt (2021-22), throwing for 20 touchdowns and nine interceptions, while rushing for 10 touchdowns.

Goodson (6-1, 295, University of Memphis; born: September 1, 1998, in Batesville, MS) joins the Blue Bombers after starting 33 of 35 games in his four-year collegiate career with the Tigers. In Goodson's senior season, he had 28 total tackles, eight tackles for a loss, four quarterback sacks, two forced fumbles and one fumble recovery and was named to the 2020 First-Team All-American Athletic Conference squad while helping Memphis win the 2020 Montgomery Bowl. He was an Honorable Mention All-AAC in 2019. He was most recently with the XFL?s Seattle Sea Dragons after being selected by the club in the 2020 XFL Draft but was released at the end of training camp this winter.

Bailey (6-1, 195, Morgan State, February 21, 1999 in Suitland, MD) signed with the Philadelphia Eagles as an undrafted free agent in 2020. He also had brief stints with the Los Angeles Chargers and New York Jets before signing with the Montreal Alouettes practice roster in 2021. Collegiately, Bailey played four seasons at Morgan State (2016-19). He caught 115 passes for 2,031 yards, 20 touchdowns, and two carries for four yards in 43 games for the Bears. He is a 2019 All-MEAC Third Team and Phil Steele?s All-MEAC First Team in 2019.

Turner (6-2, 187, Virginia Tech; born: April 21, 2000, in Greensboro, NC) played in 44 games (36 starts) over four years with the Hokies (2018-21) and finished his collegiate career with 134 receptions for 2,292 yards and 14 touchdowns, adding 53 carries for 456 yards and four more scores. In his senior season, Turner finished with 40 receptions for 675 yards and three touchdowns and 12 caries for 64 yards, and was named to the PFF College All-ACC Second Team followed by an invitation to the 2022 Senior Bowl. He spent time with the Las Vegas Raiders in 2022.

Veltri (6-0, 200, Wifrid Laurier, June 24, 1998 in Burlington, ON)  played five seasons at Wilfrid Laurier University (2017-22) with 66 tackles, 2.5 sacks, and ten pass breakups in 30 games for the Golden Hawks. In his final season, Veltri had 40 tackles, 2.5 sacks, and one pass breakup in ten games. He was selected to the OUA Second Team All-Star in 2022.

Veltri looks promising and might be someone to watch in TC. He might even be a guy they look at on ST's or LB.  For that matter he could be a back up safety candidate?  I think I saw him play a couple of times on TV. Rings a bell.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blue In BC

Quote from: pjrocksmb on March 15, 2023, 09:15:54 PM
Anyone know these names?

Not really. OTOH I never heard of Schoen last year either and we know how that turned out. There will be some rookies that surprise and make rosters.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Wondering on Veltri... undrafted Nat?  Not many make it through the draft and then latch onto a team...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Blue In BC on March 16, 2023, 03:13:19 PM
Veltri looks promising and might be someone to watch in TC. He might even be a guy they look at on ST's or LB.  For that matter he could be a back up safety candidate?  I think I saw him play a couple of times on TV. Rings a bell.

Goodson, too. Maybe the next Stove...?
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.