Dakota Prukop has signed in the USFL

Started by Downtown Mikester, March 14, 2023, 11:36:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete

interesting article by john Hodge on Prukops decision to go to the usfl. Sounds like he's already contemplating his return to the cfl. , he may be looking to showcase his ability as a starter there, and perhaps if a starting cfl qb gets hurt early it may create an opportunity, otherwise he may look to return to the bombers if they have a spot for him
https://3downnation.com/2023/03/17/qb-dakota-prukop-explains-why-he-chose-to-sign-with-usfl-foresees-likely-cfl-return/

GCn19

I suspected that this was more of an opportunity to double dip and get some extra pay. I absolutely don't blame him at all. I would happily have him back as our SY QB and can understand that position on a depth chart doesn't pay very well, so if he goes USFL makes a few dollars and then comes back here a couple weeks late I, for one, am OK with that. I'm surprised that more of our 3rd stringers in this league aren't taking the same avenue.
Some people take this forum way too seriously.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Pete on March 17, 2023, 03:26:23 PM
interesting article by john Hodge on Prukops decision to go to the usfl. Sounds like he's already contemplating his return to the cfl. , he may be looking to showcase his ability as a starter there, and perhaps if a starting cfl qb gets hurt early it may create an opportunity, otherwise he may look to return to the bombers if they have a spot for him
https://3downnation.com/2023/03/17/qb-dakota-prukop-explains-why-he-chose-to-sign-with-usfl-foresees-likely-cfl-return/

Might work if the Bombers agree to hold the door open for his return, but if they invest in another individual they think can do the job well, I suspect they move on from Prukop.

Great interview by Hodge, I can't recall Bomber staff ever interviewing him in the entire year he was here, they keep busy asking the same 6 guys, the same 6 questions.

Pigskin

CJOB had a very good interview with DP12 before one bomber game.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Foxhound

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on March 17, 2023, 03:08:49 PMThing is the USFL season ends in early July and he could easily jump aboard the B&G ship and will already be in game shape.

Quote from: GCn19 on March 17, 2023, 04:11:45 PMI suspected that this was more of an opportunity to double dip and get some extra pay. I absolutely don't blame him at all. I would happily have him back as our SY QB and can understand that position on a depth chart doesn't pay very well, so if he goes USFL makes a few dollars and then comes back here a couple weeks late I, for one, am OK with that. I'm surprised that more of our 3rd stringers in this league aren't taking the same avenue.

Ahhhh, sort of an early start to training camp, and one for which they're paid!

;)
Radically Canadian!

Lincoln Locomotive

as I was saying earlier in this post....he's 30 now and has a kid....suddenly his perspective becomes more urgent in terms of his football career.     I'd love to see him back in Blue and Gold....,who knows?
Bomber fan for life

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on March 17, 2023, 04:53:51 PM
Great interview by Hodge, I can't recall Bomber staff ever interviewing him in the entire year he was here, they keep busy asking the same 6 guys, the same 6 questions.

Haha.  True dat
Never go full Rider!

Foxhound

So does the USFL pay better than the XFL?

???
Radically Canadian!

pjrocksmb

Beat me to it I was going to post that lol

DM83

By Mid -July, B.C's  Adams should be too confused, have had a  sideline  breakdown, and BC could be looking.

VictorRomano

Quote from: Foxhound on March 18, 2023, 03:38:07 PM
So does the USFL pay better than the XFL?

???

The article says the USFL pays $5350/week - with housing incentives included that's roughly $60k (US) for a 10-game season, where the CFL minimum is $51k (US) for a much longer season, as well as double taxes.  The XFL pays the same as the USFL for 2023 - $5350USD/week.

We all know Prukop is not making the league minimum in the CFL, but this is essentially a chance for him to collect 2 salaries as the USFL will be done (the USFL season ends July 2nd) just as the CFL is starting (Week 1 starts on June 8th). 

Prukop could potentially lose the first 3 or 4 weeks of the CFL season, but he won't have had the (unpaid)  preseason - which could work in his favor in a return to Winnipeg, as he would not have to learn a whole new system from scratch.  It could also work against him if he signs somewhere else and hasn't had a preseason to work out the system/playbook.  I guess the deciding factor for him is that he could earn a full salary (plus any playoff bonuses) in the USFL and then come back north and collect 85% of a CFL salary, too.

Blue In BC

Quote from: VictorRomano on March 21, 2023, 04:34:44 PM
The article says the USFL pays $60k (US) for a 10-game season, where the CFL minimum is $51k (US) for a much longer season.  We all know Prukop is not making the league minimum, but this is essentially a chance for him to collect 2 salaries as the USFL will be done (the USFL season ends July 2nd) when the CFL is starting  Week 1 on June 8th.  Prukop could potentially lose the first 3 or 4 weeks of the CFL season, but he won't have had the preseason - which could work in his favor in a return to Winnipeg, as he would not have to learn a whole new system from scratch.  It could also work against him if he signs womewhere else and hasn't had a preseason to work out the system/playbook.  I guess the deciding factor is that he could earn a full salary (plus any playoff bonuses) in the USFL and then come back north and collect 85% of a CFL salary, too.

We still haven't established whether some / all USFL players become free agents at the end of their season. Some USFL players might only be signing 1 year deals? That's still a sticking point whether a player like Prukop could return to the CFL.

Obviously if he's eligible to return to the CFL and double dip, that's a great income opportunity. OTOH, more games if he gets playing time could result in injury?

2019 Grey Cup Champions

VictorRomano

Quote from: Blue In BC on March 21, 2023, 04:39:29 PM

Obviously if he's eligible to return to the CFL and double dip, that's a great income opportunity. OTOH, more games if he gets playing time could result in injury?

I guess that's the risk he's willing to take.  Old Man Time is coming, and he has only a few years (he'll be 30 this year) to earn as a player left, so I guess in his mind it's worth the risk to maximize his earnings over the next couple of seasons.

DM83

Do you think men under thirty who play football think of. Getting injured?
Get real!

Blue In BC

Quote from: DM83 on March 22, 2023, 12:46:59 AM
Do you think men under thirty who play football think of. Getting injured?
Get real!

If he's using it as an income boost and planning returning to the CFL, then yes. He's not going to be getting any looks from the NFL
2019 Grey Cup Champions