2023 CFL draft

Started by Pigskin, February 01, 2023, 05:40:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjrocksmb

Quote from: dd on February 26, 2023, 08:50:24 PM
Thanks for bringing some FACTS to this discussion.

Missed most converts in the league and is 7th best kicker statistically in a 9 team league. Yup, he?s a keeper all right!! What a complete joke. Good thing we signed Lawler and have the leagues best receiving corps as our offense will cover up for our pathetic kicking game.
While Leggs struggling next year is one potential outcome,  I believe you are strongly overstating the negative.  Disagree our kicking game is pathetic.  Punting is good and great at times.  Kickoffs fair to average.  FGs fair, singles poor.  Overall C+ in my opinion.  We shall see what the next chapter brings.  I have hope.  You are entitled to your take.

Blue In BC

Quote from: pjrocksmb on February 26, 2023, 09:27:41 PM
While Leggs struggling next year is one potential outcome,  I believe you are strongly overstating the negative.  Disagree our kicking game is pathetic.  Punting is good and great at times.  Kickoffs fair to average.  FGs fair, singles poor.  Overall C+ in my opinion.  We shall see what the next chapter brings.  I have hope.  You are entitled to your take.

Well people can " prove " almost anything with facts. Weather, field position, bad snaps, length of FG's and when during the season the kicks were missed. Length of kicks by other kickers etc.

Every kicker missed some kicks in 2022. 16 other missed converts in the CFL. In fact Castillo missed 3 and had a lower success % rate than Liegghio. Lauther missed 2 of 25.

Paredes had 40 of his 60 FG attempts at 39 yards of less ( nearly double Liegghio's. ).

Bombers scored more TD's by a long shot. Not sure how many of any kickers efforts were tipped, influenced by weather or bad snaps.

Bombers finished 15 - 3 and played in the Grey Cup.

We'll see what 2023 brings.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

dd

2023 will bring an offense that is unbelieveable , will put up serious points, and will hide a so-so, unreliable kicking game. If a game does come down to a field goal, we lose that game.

pjrocksmb

Quote from: Blue In BC on February 26, 2023, 09:42:56 PM
Well people can " prove " almost anything with facts. Weather, field position, bad snaps, length of FG's and when during the season the kicks were missed. Length of kicks by other kickers etc.

Every kicker missed some kicks in 2022. 16 other missed converts in the CFL. In fact Castillo missed 3 and had a lower success % rate than Liegghio. Lauther missed 2 of 25.

Paredes had 40 of his 60 FG attempts at 39 yards of less ( nearly double Liegghio's. ).

Bombers scored more TD's by a long shot. Not sure how many of any kickers efforts were tipped, influenced by weather or bad snaps.

Make some good point.  Would be interesting to see more advanced analytics applied to kickers to include the factors you mention.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on February 26, 2023, 09:42:56 PM

Leggs is pretty fortunate to have landed in the right spot at the right time, this offence is not as reliant on the FG kicker to put up double digit pts. and win games as it was with Medlock.  Leggs becomes a secondary player and it's best for him if he can avoid making headlines.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: dd on February 26, 2023, 08:50:24 PM
Missed most converts in the league and is 7th best kicker statistically in a 9 team league. Yup, he?s a keeper all right!! What a complete joke. Good thing we signed Lawler and have the leagues best receiving corps as our offense will cover up for our pathetic kicking game.

But that's clearly part of the plan.  We lost the key puzzle piece Meddy and the CFL has a dearth of great kickers so what are you gonna do?  We recover a DI spot and field a do-it-all NAT.  What else would you have KW do?  There really is nobody else loose at the moment, and certainly not NATs.  Who pray tell do you sign?  You gonna make a splash lose-a-big-name trade for one before week 1?  There's none I'd even want.

And yes, the O will have to cover for the weaker FG game.  And that's fine.  Let's be like that NFL team in the playoffs (Bengals?) that considered every snap on the good side of 50 to be 4 down territory.  Let's just go 3 down ball until we get to the 20, then we consider a FG.

2nd and 5 it's not a sure thing we get 5, but our great O can try bloody hard to make sure that on 2nd and 5 with 2 more downs we can get 5.

And if PATs are still sucking, let's just go for 2 nearly every single time.  Do the math.  I'm sure with a PAT-bad kicker the numbers favor that approach.

IF Leggs doesn't improve over 2022, THEN you pull the trigger.  I think he will improve: as you all point out, his numbers are so bad he'd have to be pathetic to not get better.  You all forgot how he looked even worse in 2021!!!  I say he'll improve and we'll still win games.
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on February 27, 2023, 04:17:21 AM
But that's clearly part of the plan.  We lost the key puzzle piece Meddy and the CFL has a dearth of great kickers so what are you gonna do?  We recover a DI spot and field a do-it-all NAT.  What else would you have KW do?  There really is nobody else loose at the moment, and certainly not NATs.  Who pray tell do you sign?  You gonna make a splash lose-a-big-name trade for one before week 1?  There's none I'd even want.

And yes, the O will have to cover for the weaker FG game.  And that's fine.  Let's be like that NFL team in the playoffs (Bengals?) that considered every snap on the good side of 50 to be 4 down territory.  Let's just go 3 down ball until we get to the 20, then we consider a FG.

2nd and 5 it's not a sure thing we get 5, but our great O can try bloody hard to make sure that on 2nd and 5 with 2 more downs we can get 5.

And if PATs are still sucking, let's just go for 2 nearly every single time.  Do the math.  I'm sure with a PAT-bad kicker the numbers favor that approach.

IF Leggs doesn't improve over 2022, THEN you pull the trigger.  I think he will improve: as you all point out, his numbers are so bad he'd have to be pathetic to not get better.  You all forgot how he looked even worse in 2021!!!  I say he'll improve and we'll still win games.

He's a potential free agent going into 2024. If he doesn't improve we may choose to not re-sign him or he chooses to move elsewhere on his own.

OTOH if he improves significantly we'll want to extend him and he may choose to move elsewhere.

I can hear it now from some posters asking why we didn't extend him earlier. Some will be those slagging him now.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Tiger

What do you guys think of drafting DL Lwal Uguak, Texas Christian if available.
Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger

Pigskin

Quote from: Tiger on March 02, 2023, 03:09:33 AM
What do you guys think of drafting DL Lwal Uguak, Texas Christian if available.

Like it.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

dd

Quote from: TecnoGenius on February 27, 2023, 04:17:21 AM

We could have made it a priority to resign Castillo instead of letting him walk and we d have another grey cup ring to show for it. Going out on a limp with him as Plan A burnt us big time

Pigskin

NFL combine on right now. Testing DL.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

DM83

Isn't that limb?  (Sorry I encountered a bakers cyst a couple months ago, and am still having complications.  ...Eight weeks later)

I want us to get a new kicker.