Interesting article on the CFL Global scouting in Japan

Started by VictorRomano, February 27, 2023, 05:05:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModAdmin

Quote from: Blue In BC on February 27, 2023, 05:51:22 PM
That was 2021 info. Teams dressed 3 QB's for the most part, not the 2 QB max in 2021. I don't think we actually have that extra 46th non dressed player any longer. Didn't hear about that in 2022.

Source is cfl.ca

https://www.cfl.ca/game-rule-ratio/
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

blue_or_die

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on February 27, 2023, 05:28:14 PM
This comes back to the business case that the league has mostly expanded to the size it can in the Canadian market. It needs other markets to grow but it's pretty difficult to get the average American to take it seriously because of the rule differences, power of the NFL and the Canadian ratio. Therefore, it makes sense to try outside of North America and they way they've gone about it is exactly the same as the logic used for Canada and the Canadian ratio.

I call bs on the bold as a reason most Americans don't pick up the CFL game
#Ride?

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on February 27, 2023, 03:56:29 PM
Adding 2 Global players to the roster directly comes at the cost of 2 less Canadians on the AR. Another 2 spots are lost on the PR to global spots.

Somebody needs to show me the value and exposure we're getting by this initiative. Where are CFL games even broadcast on a regular basis outside of North America.

Yah, I don't really see the point, I realize initiatives like this take time to develop but I don't think this one is ever going to help grow the game in international markets.  The sooner they scrap it the better, give these positions back to Natls. and work harder to re-store the image of the CFL within Canada.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on February 27, 2023, 05:28:14 PM
This comes back to the business case that the league has mostly expanded to the size it can in the Canadian market. It needs other markets to grow but it's pretty difficult to get the average American to take it seriously because of the rule differences, power of the NFL and the Canadian ratio. Therefore, it makes sense to try outside of North America and they way they've gone about it is exactly the same as the logic used for Canada and the Canadian ratio.

I disagree, the CFL has not been expanding in Canada during the last few decades, it's market share has been shrinking.  What once was there has been lost, which is a poor excuse to start looking elsewhere to find interested audiences.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on February 27, 2023, 07:04:04 PM
I disagree, the CFL has not been expanding in Canada during the last few decades, it's market share has been shrinking.  What once was there has been lost, which is a poor excuse to start looking elsewhere to find interested audiences.

Has not been expanding in two decades? By what measure? In 2003, most local games were blacked out. Not every game was even televised and it was split between CBC/TSN. Average game attendance was 25,240 (which was 71% of stadium capacity).

Blue In BC

Quote from: ModAdmin on February 27, 2023, 06:27:43 PM
Source is cfl.ca

https://www.cfl.ca/game-rule-ratio/

Teams rostered 3 QB's in 2022 which contradicts the 2 QB max. So that info can't be correct starting with at least one large error. CFL.CA is not known for accuracy.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on February 27, 2023, 06:57:08 PM
Yah, I don't really see the point, I realize initiatives like this take time to develop but I don't think this one is ever going to help grow the game in international markets.  The sooner they scrap it the better, give these positions back to Natls. and work harder to re-store the image of the CFL within Canada.

That's where I stand as well. Ironic since I'm an anti ratio guy. However as long as that exists, I prefer to find, develop and roster Canadians instead of artificially created loopholes.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Blue In BC on February 27, 2023, 07:17:30 PM
Teams rostered 3 QB's in 2022 which contradicts the 2 QB max. So that info can't be correct starting with at least one large error. CFL.CA is not known for accuracy.

The info ModAdmin linked is clearly old, there are lots of wrong things:

1) Quarterbacks now have designations.
2) There is no 2 maximum QB rule any longer.
3) 8 starting nationals in 2023; one of which is "naturalized".
4) Only one global is required; not two.
5) You no longer have to establish a reserve of one player on gameday.
6) There are only 2 DIs now; not 4

Blue In BC

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on February 27, 2023, 07:28:07 PM
The info ModAdmin linked is clearly old, there are lots of wrong things:

1) Quarterbacks now have designations.
2) There is no 2 maximum QB rule any longer.
3) 8 starting nationals in 2023; one of which is "naturalized".
4) Only one global is required; not two.
5) You no longer have to establish a reserve of one player on gameday.

Hmmmm.

Still trying to understand the 8th starting Naturalized when he can only play 49% maximum. I also didn't realize only one global player is required in 2023.

If that's the case we went from one to two back to one. That's a step backwards. My expectation is that Maruo would be our 2nd global. He's been very good on both defence and ST's.

I suppose I take that to mean only one is required but two are allowed?

Item 5: As far as I could determine the game day roster ( full paid game day check ) was reduced to 45 from 46 in 2022. It never made sense to pay a full check to a player prevented from dressing.
2019 Grey Cup Champions