Sayles: the witch?

Started by TecnoGenius, February 19, 2023, 05:49:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

It just dawned on me.  Did we "burn the witch" with the let-go of C.Sayles?  Other teams often have their "burn the witches" thread to gang up on whatever player let them down in the big game.  I like the term, and so have stolen it for our forum.

I've spent a lot of time in other GC 2022 threads about how we may be able to pin the GC loss on Sayles; assuming you're inclined to pin it on one player.  I'm not, but he definitely ranks in the "top 3 screwups" that together surely cost us the cup.

I won't go over it again unless someone doesn't remember and wants me to; except to say that it's Sayles on the ST OL in the final WPG ST play of the GC, and he's late getting off his mark, not taking the correct guy, and lamely trying to arm-block the berserker kick-stopping rusher.  A literal clinic in how not to protect a kick.

Did we even offer Sayles anything?  I never saw any word that we did.  We can say "we knew he'd fetch more than we could pay" as a cop out.  But, maybe, we just wanted to burn the witch.  Ya, it's a long-shot theory, and I probably know it to be false because "The Mafia doesn't think that way", but hey, it's late and my brain gets antsy.  At least I won't need to ever watch Sayles pull a repeat in our future GCs, eh?  A part of me will always think that Sayles will be our '22 version of HAM's '19 Mike Jones.
Never go full Rider!

Jesse

23- Walker
22 - Sayles
21 - Richardson
19 - Nevis
My wife is amazing!

blue_or_die

I mean you already said it in your own thread but, yeah, letting Sayles walk had nothing to do with that one play in the GC.
#Ride?

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Jesse on February 19, 2023, 12:56:08 PM
23- Walker
22 - Sayles
21 - Richardson
19 - Nevis
We need more good American beef to go with Walker!
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

the paw

Not every idle hyperbolic thought that pops into your head is worthy of a thread.  This is an example of that.
grab grass 'n growl

Jesse

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on February 19, 2023, 01:45:52 PM
We need more good American beef to go with Walker!

I'm sure we will. Because after Walker earns himself a raise, we'll him have to replace him with the next guy up.
My wife is amazing!

pjrocksmb

Quote from: the paw on February 19, 2023, 01:47:37 PM
Not every idle hyperbolic thought that pops into your head is worthy of a thread.  This is an example of that.
Wee bit of a nothing burger here

ModAdmin

Never been a fan of blaming a loss on one player.  It's almost never one play that decides a game.  You have to look at the totality of "missed" plays in a game all of which can contribute to a loss.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Sir Blue and Gold

Bring back Aardvark's cheese ladle thread!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Saving the witch burning pyre for Liegghio, he may have escaped last seasons playoffs with a sliver of doubt, but I feel it's only a matter of time before he fails the floating duck test and is roasted alive.

pjrocksmb

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on February 19, 2023, 06:26:59 PM
Saving the witch burning pyre for Liegghio, he may have escaped last seasons playoffs with a sliver of doubt, but I feel it's only a matter of time before he fails the floating duck test and is roasted alive.
Yeah I hate Canadian kickers with a strong leg and plenty of promise that does both jobs well.

Patience pays off.  Good things come to those that wait.

Leggs is good now and will improve with experience and when his confidence and consistency improves.

ModAdmin

Quote from: pjrocksmb on February 19, 2023, 09:28:21 PM
Yeah I hate Canadian kickers with a strong leg and plenty of promises that do both jobs well.

Patience pays off.  Good things come to those that wait.

Leggs is good now and will improve with experience and when his confidence and consistency improves.

After 2 seasons, if he hasn't developed confidence and consistency, it is absolutely natural to question if it is the right player for that position. Competition is the right strategy and should be expected.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

DM83

Call a spade a spade. He?s array ic, not dependable, and cost the Bombers there. Third Grey Cup.
He can not do it consistently.
Let?s put it this way.  How many would want this guy on your team for a. Game winning field goal attempt?

pjrocksmb

Quote from: ModAdmin on February 19, 2023, 09:45:51 PM
After 2 seasons, if he hasn't developed confidence and consistency, it is absolutely natural to question if it is the right player for that position. Competition is the right strategy and should be expected.
Poster suggested witch burning which is both ridiculous and disrespectful.

After 2 seasons his punting has improved, kick offs are reasonable and his FG kicking / single points are a work in progress.

I never said anything about competition, which we would all likely agree is a good thing.

Quote from: DM83 on February 20, 2023, 02:33:47 AM
Call a spade a spade. He?s array ic, not dependable, and cost the Bombers there. Third Grey Cup.
He can not do it consistently.
Let?s put it this way.  How many would want this guy on your team for a. Game winning field goal attempt?
I am putting my confidence in him.

He didn't lose the Grey Cup, the entire team did.  It's a team sport.

We have run a few kickers out of town to early that went on to be great.

At the moment we have a good kicker with the right passport, that does both jobs at the right price.

Remember when the experts on here wanted management, MOS and Hall gone? Hmm they figured it out and so will our kicking game.  At least we can hope and put me down as a believer in Leggs.  If he struggles this year we'll into the season, yes I can see replacement in the cards or bringing in someone to kick FGs.  Until then let the kid grow.  If he figures it out could have a the position locked down for a decade.  If not I'll eat bird lol.

kkc60

it?s a team sport. this thread is silly