Pre-Season Prognostications

Started by ModAdmin, February 18, 2023, 04:44:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModAdmin

Yes, it's premature.
Yes, it's mainly speculative.
Yes, a lot can happen between now and pre-season.

But we arguably have completed the first 4 days of the Free Agency Season which is certainly the most interesting, competitive, and important part of every teams recruitment strategy.

With that in mind, let's hear your early predictions on standings at the end of the 2023 season.  Here's my attempt/effort...

West

1. Winnipeg
2. BC
3. Calgary
4. Edmonton
5. Riders

East

1. Toronto
2. Hamilton
3. Montreal
4. Ottawa
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

GOLDMEMBER

Looks good to me but I would swap BC and Calgary.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Jesse

OK - so these were last year's standings:

West

1. Winnipeg (15-3)
2. BC (12-6)
3. Calgary (12-6)
4. Saskatchewan (6-12)
5. Edmonton (4-14)

East

1. Toronto (11-7)
2. Montreal (9-9)
3. Hamilton (8-10)
4. Ottawa (4-14)

I think that we're about on par with our team last year. Adding Kenny is huge on offence. I expect our young secondary to be lights out. We need to add some rotational pieces on the DL (hopefully we discover some talent in TC) and we need to be looking to the future at LB.

Toronto and Hamilton have improved their squads (assuming MBT is back in TO - they have a big question mark otherwise). I expect all of the Redblacks, Elks and Riders to be closer to .500 than last year, but still in the bottom half of teams.

BC and Calgary look to be worse off than last year. Montreal is 100% worse and will be cannibalized of the rest of the league.

So, with that:

West

1. Winnipeg (14-4)
2. BC (11-7)
3. Calgary (9-9)
4. Saskatchewan (8-10)
5. Edmonton (6-12)

East

1. Toronto (12-6)
2. Hamilton (11-7)
3. Ottawa (7-11)
4. Montreal (3-15)
My wife is amazing!

Lincoln Locomotive

Winnipeg (based on our offence alone)
Calgary (Maier will need to step up now without BLM in the locker room)
BC (no where near as dominant without Rourke)
Edmonton (they've signed some great talent)
Riders (still lots of unanswered questions about this team)

Hamilton (Bo wants to prove he can still win a Cup)
Toronto ( can Kelly blossom into a legit starter and can Harris survive)
Ottawa ( they may yet surprise us)
Montreal ( lost too much and now rudderless without an owner )
Bomber fan for life

Horseman

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on February 18, 2023, 02:02:30 PM
Winnipeg (based on our offence alone)
Calgary (Maier will need to step up now without BLM in the locker room)
BC (no where near as dominant without Rourke)
Edmonton (they've signed some great talent)
Riders (still lots of unanswered questions about this team)

Hamilton (Bo wants to prove he can still win a Cup)
Toronto ( can Kelly blossom into a legit starter and can Harris survive)
Ottawa ( they may yet surprise us)
Montreal ( lost too much and now rudderless without an owner )

I agree with Lincoln, and I believe Ham has really strengthen their team and are making a strong bid for being in a home GC game.

Sir Blue and Gold

1. Winnipeg
2. Calgary
3. Edmonton
4. BC
5. Riders

East

1. Toronto
2. Ottawa
3. Hamilton
4. Montreal

blue_or_die

#Ride?

the paw

I see the West as Wpg, Edmonton, Calgary, BC, Riders.   As much as I loathe Jones, Cornelius is improving and they added major firepower on offence.  I think the loss of Butler will hold BC back.

In the East, I am calling it Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, Montreal.  This is all about QBs.  I think Masoli-Arbucklke will be the best 1-2 punch.  I don't think MBT plays, and I think Bo Levi will disappoint. And Montreal really doesn't have a QB at all.

Of course the real determining factor will be injuries.
grab grass 'n growl

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on February 18, 2023, 11:11:24 PM
1. Winnipeg
2. Calgary
3. Edmonton
4. BC
5. Riders

East

1. Toronto
2. Ottawa
3. Hamilton
4. Montreal

Quote from: the paw on February 19, 2023, 01:39:27 AM
I see the West as Wpg, Edmonton, Calgary, BC, Riders.   As much as I loathe Jones, Cornelius is improving and they added major firepower on offence.  I think the loss of Butler will hold BC back.

In the East, I am calling it Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, Montreal.  This is all about QBs.  I think Masoli-Arbucklke will be the best 1-2 punch.  I don't think MBT plays, and I think Bo Levi will disappoint. And Montreal really doesn't have a QB at all.

Of course the real determining factor will be injuries.

I too think EDM will be a powerhouse.  Their WR/SB corps is almost as good as ours and look scary on paper.  That kid at RB is legit unstoppable.  Corny is going to turn into a great QB, if not this year then soon.  And even though I haven't studied it much yet, C.Jones should have a solid D.  In fact, the team is being built much like WPG is these days: a heavy emphasis on O.

VAJ ain't gonna get it done in BC, and no Burnham is gonna bite them.  Just not happening, sorry.  Heck, maybe even T.Harris in tire-fire SSK will be better.

I just don't see CGY being as strong.  Meier smells like a Jennings or Franklin.  He's not the solution long term and is a big gamble.

I'm going:
WPG
EDM
CGY
BC
SSK

The East is so up in the air with gambling everywhere.  If BLM can not suck HAM is going to go legit attempt for a home GC.  They are going the "gonna stop you on D" route, and it might work.  OTT will be very good if Masoli doesn't go down.  TOR: who really knows.  The only sure bet is MTL will stink worse than '22 EDM/OTT.  Free bingo spot everyone!

My gut says everyone-but-MTL will be duking it out in early weeks to establish dominance and consistency, but they should shake out into "what kind of team they are" pretty quickly.  TOR is known for flash-in-the-pan years and GCs, so if they stay true to form they'll suck.  BUT, maybe Pinball has anticipated this.  HAM let most of their good WRs go.  And my gut says don't sleep on OTT.  Their ST sales and fan base need a good year.
Never go full Rider!

blue_or_die

After hitting rock bottom, Edmonton will improve, but let?s not get carried away here people.
#Ride?

Jesse

Quote from: blue_or_die on February 19, 2023, 01:33:41 PM
After hitting rock bottom, Edmonton will improve, but let?s not get carried away here people.

Same reasoning that had Ottawa being first in the East last year.
My wife is amazing!

Throw Long Bannatyne

I see the end of the Huff's dynasty ahead, not much of a player in F.A. other than losing some of their best players, and now that they've compromised their standards by picking up scraps from lesser teams the end must be nye. They may still earn a playoff spot this season but they're no longer in the same tier as the Bombers.

Pete

Really? They've now got one of the best defensive lines in the cfl....Howsare,Rose,Wiggans,Vautner.. Locked in Judge.  Have a younger qb that they feel is an upgrade to Bo Levi  and the best running backs in the league.
Winnipeg
Calgary
Edmonton
Bc
Saskatchewan

Toronto
Hamilton
Montreal
Ottawa

dd

Winnipeg
Calgary
Riders
Edmonton
BC

Toronto
Ottawa
Hamilton
Montreal

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on February 19, 2023, 02:15:18 PM
Same reasoning that had Ottawa being first in the East last year.

OTT almost beat WPG twice to start the 2022 season.  Masoli was legit before injury.  The players can play above their station until they figure out they are on a sucky team and deflate.  OTT will be better than last year, as long as Masoli stays upright.

As for the comparison to EDM; their O looks capable of being league-leading, especially if Corny keeps getting better.  The only problem will be if they can't translate roster talent into wins.  Yes, it could be coaching, or discipline, or scheme, lack of cohesion, or many other things keep them sucking.  I'm not sold on whether the C.Jones effect is net positive or negative.
Never go full Rider!