Pre-Season Prognostications

Started by ModAdmin, February 18, 2023, 04:44:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on February 19, 2023, 06:34:48 PM
I see the end of the Huff's dynasty ahead, not much of a player in F.A. other than losing some of their best players, and now that they've compromised their standards by picking up scraps from lesser teams the end must be nye. They may still earn a playoff spot this season but they're no longer in the same tier as the Bombers.

CGY has always been strongest at scouting top IMP talent and getting them up to speed fast.  They've never been a huge FA team.  I'm sure Huff knows what he's doing.  But their general trend has been downwards.  Of course, when you're #1 for so many years, the only way to go is down.

I think the biggest problem is Dickenson The Greater.  He's a liability on the sidelines and should be ditched as HC, even if you have to move him upstairs to GM.
Never go full Rider!

theaardvark

Quote from: ModAdmin on February 18, 2023, 04:44:52 AM
Yes, it's premature.
Yes, it's mainly speculative.
Yes, a lot can happen between now and pre-season.

But we arguably have completed the first 4 days of the Free Agency Season which is certainly the most interesting, competitive, and important part of every teams recruitment strategy.

With that in mind, let's hear your early predictions on standings at the end of the 2023 season.  Here's my attempt/effort...

West

1. Winnipeg
2. BC
3. Calgary
4. Edmonton
5. Riders

East

1. Toronto
2. Hamilton
3. Montreal
4. Ottawa

Might have rated the Riders a little too high...  ;)
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Jesse

Quote from: TecnoGenius on February 20, 2023, 02:08:46 AM
CGY has always been strongest at scouting top IMP talent and getting them up to speed fast.  They've never been a huge FA team.  I'm sure Huff knows what he's doing.  But their general trend has been downwards.  Of course, when you're #1 for so many years, the only way to go is down.

I think the biggest problem is Dickenson The Greater.  He's a liability on the sidelines and should be ditched as HC, even if you have to move him upstairs to GM.

You realize that Huff has retired and Dickenson IS the GM, right?
My wife is amazing!

Jesse

Quote from: TecnoGenius on February 20, 2023, 02:06:13 AM
OTT almost beat WPG twice to start the 2022 season.  Masoli was legit before injury.  The players can play above their station until they figure out they are on a sucky team and deflate.  OTT will be better than last year, as long as Masoli stays upright.

As for the comparison to EDM; their O looks capable of being league-leading, especially if Corny keeps getting better.  The only problem will be if they can't translate roster talent into wins.  Yes, it could be coaching, or discipline, or scheme, lack of cohesion, or many other things keep them sucking.  I'm not sold on whether the C.Jones effect is net positive or negative.

So, Ottawa was 0-4 with Masoli and put of scores of: 17, 12, 31, and 13.

I think the legend of Masoli was kind of exaggerated because of his injury. 
My wife is amazing!

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Jesse on February 20, 2023, 07:23:59 PM
So, Ottawa was 0-4 with Masoli and put of scores of: 17, 12, 31, and 13.

I think the legend of Masoli was kind of exaggerated because of his injury. 
He has always been above average more me. In the same category as T Harris. TSN overrates him a bit. He has never been the most accurate thrower.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

ichabod_crane

Quote from: Jesse on February 20, 2023, 07:19:36 PM

I believe huff is still president of the stamps, so not fully retired. Dickie Dee is head coach and gm.

BlueInCgy

Quote from: TecnoGenius on February 20, 2023, 02:08:46 AM

In 6 seasons he?s 71-29-2, never lost more than 6 games in a season.  Yup, real liability there.

Jesse

My wife is amazing!

GOLDMEMBER

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

3rdand1.5

West

Wpg-Until we see a decline they are still the best
Cal-Dicky always has a competitive team
Edm-Jones will have them competitive
BC-Sorry BC fans, Burnham and Rourke gone drops you
Sask-could surprise with Harris, but for now at the bottom

East

Hammy-Home GC year, good roster they will be all in
T.O-If MBT flakes off I don't think Kelly is the answer, although talented roster, QB will be Achillies
Ott-Could hit higher if Masolli stays healthy
Mtrl-Ownership will lead to distractions

bwiser

Quote from: Horseman on February 18, 2023, 03:04:18 PM
I agree with Lincoln, and I believe Ham has really strengthen their team and are making a strong bid for being in a home GC game.
I also agree with Lincoln.

bluebeard

Bombers...    Best in the West
Calgay .....    Always tough
Edmonton .   Here comes Jones
BC ...........    No Rourke
Regina ......   As high as 3rd if B Jones signs  Med School?

Hamiton ....  Great recruiting in free agency
TO ............  Everything depends on QB
Ottawa ......  Better ciaching abd recruiting
Montreal ....  Trouble with ownership

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on February 20, 2023, 07:19:36 PM

Quote from: ichabod_crane on February 21, 2023, 04:54:24 AM
I believe huff is still president of the stamps, so not fully retired. Dickie Dee is head coach and gm.

Oh, my main point is Dickenson is a liability as HC, which he still is.  The GM spot is not the problem in CGY, and if Dickenson is the co-GM or full-GM, or if Huff is full-GM it matters not because the problem is on the field (HC).

Quote from: BlueInCgy on February 21, 2023, 10:45:11 AM
In 6 seasons he?s 71-29-2, never lost more than 6 games in a season.  Yup, real liability there.

Now graph that record out over the years.  Notice anything?  Steady downtrend from invincible riding-Huffs-coattails to reliably 3rd in the W?  That downtrend is Dickenson The Greater's fault is what I'm proffering.  I believe they keep downtrending until they get Dickenson out of the HC job.

You guys think Killam won't do a better job??  Have you seen Dickenson's insane sideline decisions over the past 2-3 years??  He's totally lost it.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: 3rdand1.5 on February 21, 2023, 01:44:28 PM
BC-Sorry BC fans, Burnham and Rourke gone drops you

East

Ott-Could hit higher if Masolli stays healthy

Ya, without Burnham and Rourke BC is pretty much nothing.  Remember the games when Rourke was injured?  They were relative garbage.  Now subtract Burnham, who was hands down the best SB in the league for years and years... BC is going to stink.  .500 at best.

Masoli: dude just has no luck.  Surely his luck has to change??  How many times can a guy get the short straw.
Never go full Rider!

BlueInCgy

Quote from: TecnoGenius on February 22, 2023, 10:20:33 PM

Now graph that record out over the years.  Notice anything?  Steady downtrend from invincible riding-Huffs-coattails to reliably 3rd in the W?  That downtrend is Dickenson The Greater's fault is what I'm proffering.  I believe they keep downtrending until they get Dickenson out of the HC job.

You guys think Killam won't do a better job??  Have you seen Dickenson's insane sideline decisions over the past 2-3 years??  He's totally lost it.

Pre Dickenson post lousy years

2008 - 5 losses
2009 - 7 losses
2010 - 5 losses
2011 - 7 losses
2012 - 6 losses
2013 - 4 losses
2014 - 3 losses
2015 - 4 losses
2016 - 2 losses

Win percentage 71.2%

Dickenson era

2017 - 4 losses
2018 - 5 losses
2019 - 6 losses
2021 - 6 losses
2022 - 6 losses

Win percentage 71.2%

Clearly precipitous downtrend.  I mean, if you graphed it, it would nearly be a flat line.

You?re not proffering.  You?re pontificating from your posterior.  Dickensons winning percentage is as good as Huffs, who never had to deal with a hurt BLM, and better then Trestman?s with a healthy Calvillo.