Pre-Season Prognostications

Started by ModAdmin, February 18, 2023, 04:44:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModAdmin

Yes, it's premature.
Yes, it's mainly speculative.
Yes, a lot can happen between now and pre-season.

But we arguably have completed the first 4 days of the Free Agency Season which is certainly the most interesting, competitive, and important part of every teams recruitment strategy.

With that in mind, let's hear your early predictions on standings at the end of the 2023 season.  Here's my attempt/effort...

West

1. Winnipeg
2. BC
3. Calgary
4. Edmonton
5. Riders

East

1. Toronto
2. Hamilton
3. Montreal
4. Ottawa
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

GOLDMEMBER

Looks good to me but I would swap BC and Calgary.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Jesse

OK - so these were last year's standings:

West

1. Winnipeg (15-3)
2. BC (12-6)
3. Calgary (12-6)
4. Saskatchewan (6-12)
5. Edmonton (4-14)

East

1. Toronto (11-7)
2. Montreal (9-9)
3. Hamilton (8-10)
4. Ottawa (4-14)

I think that we're about on par with our team last year. Adding Kenny is huge on offence. I expect our young secondary to be lights out. We need to add some rotational pieces on the DL (hopefully we discover some talent in TC) and we need to be looking to the future at LB.

Toronto and Hamilton have improved their squads (assuming MBT is back in TO - they have a big question mark otherwise). I expect all of the Redblacks, Elks and Riders to be closer to .500 than last year, but still in the bottom half of teams.

BC and Calgary look to be worse off than last year. Montreal is 100% worse and will be cannibalized of the rest of the league.

So, with that:

West

1. Winnipeg (14-4)
2. BC (11-7)
3. Calgary (9-9)
4. Saskatchewan (8-10)
5. Edmonton (6-12)

East

1. Toronto (12-6)
2. Hamilton (11-7)
3. Ottawa (7-11)
4. Montreal (3-15)
My wife is amazing!

Lincoln Locomotive

Winnipeg (based on our offence alone)
Calgary (Maier will need to step up now without BLM in the locker room)
BC (no where near as dominant without Rourke)
Edmonton (they've signed some great talent)
Riders (still lots of unanswered questions about this team)

Hamilton (Bo wants to prove he can still win a Cup)
Toronto ( can Kelly blossom into a legit starter and can Harris survive)
Ottawa ( they may yet surprise us)
Montreal ( lost too much and now rudderless without an owner )
Bomber fan for life

Horseman

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on February 18, 2023, 02:02:30 PM
Winnipeg (based on our offence alone)
Calgary (Maier will need to step up now without BLM in the locker room)
BC (no where near as dominant without Rourke)
Edmonton (they've signed some great talent)
Riders (still lots of unanswered questions about this team)

Hamilton (Bo wants to prove he can still win a Cup)
Toronto ( can Kelly blossom into a legit starter and can Harris survive)
Ottawa ( they may yet surprise us)
Montreal ( lost too much and now rudderless without an owner )

I agree with Lincoln, and I believe Ham has really strengthen their team and are making a strong bid for being in a home GC game.

Sir Blue and Gold

1. Winnipeg
2. Calgary
3. Edmonton
4. BC
5. Riders

East

1. Toronto
2. Ottawa
3. Hamilton
4. Montreal

blue_or_die

#Ride?

the paw

I see the West as Wpg, Edmonton, Calgary, BC, Riders.   As much as I loathe Jones, Cornelius is improving and they added major firepower on offence.  I think the loss of Butler will hold BC back.

In the East, I am calling it Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, Montreal.  This is all about QBs.  I think Masoli-Arbucklke will be the best 1-2 punch.  I don't think MBT plays, and I think Bo Levi will disappoint. And Montreal really doesn't have a QB at all.

Of course the real determining factor will be injuries.
grab grass 'n growl

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on February 18, 2023, 11:11:24 PM
1. Winnipeg
2. Calgary
3. Edmonton
4. BC
5. Riders

East

1. Toronto
2. Ottawa
3. Hamilton
4. Montreal

Quote from: the paw on February 19, 2023, 01:39:27 AM
I see the West as Wpg, Edmonton, Calgary, BC, Riders.   As much as I loathe Jones, Cornelius is improving and they added major firepower on offence.  I think the loss of Butler will hold BC back.

In the East, I am calling it Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, Montreal.  This is all about QBs.  I think Masoli-Arbucklke will be the best 1-2 punch.  I don't think MBT plays, and I think Bo Levi will disappoint. And Montreal really doesn't have a QB at all.

Of course the real determining factor will be injuries.

I too think EDM will be a powerhouse.  Their WR/SB corps is almost as good as ours and look scary on paper.  That kid at RB is legit unstoppable.  Corny is going to turn into a great QB, if not this year then soon.  And even though I haven't studied it much yet, C.Jones should have a solid D.  In fact, the team is being built much like WPG is these days: a heavy emphasis on O.

VAJ ain't gonna get it done in BC, and no Burnham is gonna bite them.  Just not happening, sorry.  Heck, maybe even T.Harris in tire-fire SSK will be better.

I just don't see CGY being as strong.  Meier smells like a Jennings or Franklin.  He's not the solution long term and is a big gamble.

I'm going:
WPG
EDM
CGY
BC
SSK

The East is so up in the air with gambling everywhere.  If BLM can not suck HAM is going to go legit attempt for a home GC.  They are going the "gonna stop you on D" route, and it might work.  OTT will be very good if Masoli doesn't go down.  TOR: who really knows.  The only sure bet is MTL will stink worse than '22 EDM/OTT.  Free bingo spot everyone!

My gut says everyone-but-MTL will be duking it out in early weeks to establish dominance and consistency, but they should shake out into "what kind of team they are" pretty quickly.  TOR is known for flash-in-the-pan years and GCs, so if they stay true to form they'll suck.  BUT, maybe Pinball has anticipated this.  HAM let most of their good WRs go.  And my gut says don't sleep on OTT.  Their ST sales and fan base need a good year.
Never go full Rider!

blue_or_die

After hitting rock bottom, Edmonton will improve, but let?s not get carried away here people.
#Ride?

Jesse

Quote from: blue_or_die on February 19, 2023, 01:33:41 PM
After hitting rock bottom, Edmonton will improve, but let?s not get carried away here people.

Same reasoning that had Ottawa being first in the East last year.
My wife is amazing!

Throw Long Bannatyne

I see the end of the Huff's dynasty ahead, not much of a player in F.A. other than losing some of their best players, and now that they've compromised their standards by picking up scraps from lesser teams the end must be nye. They may still earn a playoff spot this season but they're no longer in the same tier as the Bombers.

Pete

Really? They've now got one of the best defensive lines in the cfl....Howsare,Rose,Wiggans,Vautner.. Locked in Judge.  Have a younger qb that they feel is an upgrade to Bo Levi  and the best running backs in the league.
Winnipeg
Calgary
Edmonton
Bc
Saskatchewan

Toronto
Hamilton
Montreal
Ottawa

dd

Winnipeg
Calgary
Riders
Edmonton
BC

Toronto
Ottawa
Hamilton
Montreal

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on February 19, 2023, 02:15:18 PM
Same reasoning that had Ottawa being first in the East last year.

OTT almost beat WPG twice to start the 2022 season.  Masoli was legit before injury.  The players can play above their station until they figure out they are on a sucky team and deflate.  OTT will be better than last year, as long as Masoli stays upright.

As for the comparison to EDM; their O looks capable of being league-leading, especially if Corny keeps getting better.  The only problem will be if they can't translate roster talent into wins.  Yes, it could be coaching, or discipline, or scheme, lack of cohesion, or many other things keep them sucking.  I'm not sold on whether the C.Jones effect is net positive or negative.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on February 19, 2023, 06:34:48 PM
I see the end of the Huff's dynasty ahead, not much of a player in F.A. other than losing some of their best players, and now that they've compromised their standards by picking up scraps from lesser teams the end must be nye. They may still earn a playoff spot this season but they're no longer in the same tier as the Bombers.

CGY has always been strongest at scouting top IMP talent and getting them up to speed fast.  They've never been a huge FA team.  I'm sure Huff knows what he's doing.  But their general trend has been downwards.  Of course, when you're #1 for so many years, the only way to go is down.

I think the biggest problem is Dickenson The Greater.  He's a liability on the sidelines and should be ditched as HC, even if you have to move him upstairs to GM.
Never go full Rider!

theaardvark

Quote from: ModAdmin on February 18, 2023, 04:44:52 AM
Yes, it's premature.
Yes, it's mainly speculative.
Yes, a lot can happen between now and pre-season.

But we arguably have completed the first 4 days of the Free Agency Season which is certainly the most interesting, competitive, and important part of every teams recruitment strategy.

With that in mind, let's hear your early predictions on standings at the end of the 2023 season.  Here's my attempt/effort...

West

1. Winnipeg
2. BC
3. Calgary
4. Edmonton
5. Riders

East

1. Toronto
2. Hamilton
3. Montreal
4. Ottawa

Might have rated the Riders a little too high...  ;)
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Jesse

Quote from: TecnoGenius on February 20, 2023, 02:08:46 AM
CGY has always been strongest at scouting top IMP talent and getting them up to speed fast.  They've never been a huge FA team.  I'm sure Huff knows what he's doing.  But their general trend has been downwards.  Of course, when you're #1 for so many years, the only way to go is down.

I think the biggest problem is Dickenson The Greater.  He's a liability on the sidelines and should be ditched as HC, even if you have to move him upstairs to GM.

You realize that Huff has retired and Dickenson IS the GM, right?
My wife is amazing!

Jesse

Quote from: TecnoGenius on February 20, 2023, 02:06:13 AM
OTT almost beat WPG twice to start the 2022 season.  Masoli was legit before injury.  The players can play above their station until they figure out they are on a sucky team and deflate.  OTT will be better than last year, as long as Masoli stays upright.

As for the comparison to EDM; their O looks capable of being league-leading, especially if Corny keeps getting better.  The only problem will be if they can't translate roster talent into wins.  Yes, it could be coaching, or discipline, or scheme, lack of cohesion, or many other things keep them sucking.  I'm not sold on whether the C.Jones effect is net positive or negative.

So, Ottawa was 0-4 with Masoli and put of scores of: 17, 12, 31, and 13.

I think the legend of Masoli was kind of exaggerated because of his injury. 
My wife is amazing!

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Jesse on February 20, 2023, 07:23:59 PM
So, Ottawa was 0-4 with Masoli and put of scores of: 17, 12, 31, and 13.

I think the legend of Masoli was kind of exaggerated because of his injury. 
He has always been above average more me. In the same category as T Harris. TSN overrates him a bit. He has never been the most accurate thrower.

ichabod_crane

Quote from: Jesse on February 20, 2023, 07:19:36 PM

I believe huff is still president of the stamps, so not fully retired. Dickie Dee is head coach and gm.

BlueInCgy

Quote from: TecnoGenius on February 20, 2023, 02:08:46 AM

In 6 seasons he?s 71-29-2, never lost more than 6 games in a season.  Yup, real liability there.

Jesse

My wife is amazing!

GOLDMEMBER

3rdand1.5

West

Wpg-Until we see a decline they are still the best
Cal-Dicky always has a competitive team
Edm-Jones will have them competitive
BC-Sorry BC fans, Burnham and Rourke gone drops you
Sask-could surprise with Harris, but for now at the bottom

East

Hammy-Home GC year, good roster they will be all in
T.O-If MBT flakes off I don't think Kelly is the answer, although talented roster, QB will be Achillies
Ott-Could hit higher if Masolli stays healthy
Mtrl-Ownership will lead to distractions

bwiser

Quote from: Horseman on February 18, 2023, 03:04:18 PM
I agree with Lincoln, and I believe Ham has really strengthen their team and are making a strong bid for being in a home GC game.
I also agree with Lincoln.

bluebeard

Bombers...    Best in the West
Calgay .....    Always tough
Edmonton .   Here comes Jones
BC ...........    No Rourke
Regina ......   As high as 3rd if B Jones signs  Med School?

Hamiton ....  Great recruiting in free agency
TO ............  Everything depends on QB
Ottawa ......  Better ciaching abd recruiting
Montreal ....  Trouble with ownership

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on February 20, 2023, 07:19:36 PM

Quote from: ichabod_crane on February 21, 2023, 04:54:24 AM
I believe huff is still president of the stamps, so not fully retired. Dickie Dee is head coach and gm.

Oh, my main point is Dickenson is a liability as HC, which he still is.  The GM spot is not the problem in CGY, and if Dickenson is the co-GM or full-GM, or if Huff is full-GM it matters not because the problem is on the field (HC).

Quote from: BlueInCgy on February 21, 2023, 10:45:11 AM
In 6 seasons he?s 71-29-2, never lost more than 6 games in a season.  Yup, real liability there.

Now graph that record out over the years.  Notice anything?  Steady downtrend from invincible riding-Huffs-coattails to reliably 3rd in the W?  That downtrend is Dickenson The Greater's fault is what I'm proffering.  I believe they keep downtrending until they get Dickenson out of the HC job.

You guys think Killam won't do a better job??  Have you seen Dickenson's insane sideline decisions over the past 2-3 years??  He's totally lost it.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: 3rdand1.5 on February 21, 2023, 01:44:28 PM
BC-Sorry BC fans, Burnham and Rourke gone drops you

East

Ott-Could hit higher if Masolli stays healthy

Ya, without Burnham and Rourke BC is pretty much nothing.  Remember the games when Rourke was injured?  They were relative garbage.  Now subtract Burnham, who was hands down the best SB in the league for years and years... BC is going to stink.  .500 at best.

Masoli: dude just has no luck.  Surely his luck has to change??  How many times can a guy get the short straw.
Never go full Rider!

BlueInCgy

Quote from: TecnoGenius on February 22, 2023, 10:20:33 PM

Now graph that record out over the years.  Notice anything?  Steady downtrend from invincible riding-Huffs-coattails to reliably 3rd in the W?  That downtrend is Dickenson The Greater's fault is what I'm proffering.  I believe they keep downtrending until they get Dickenson out of the HC job.

You guys think Killam won't do a better job??  Have you seen Dickenson's insane sideline decisions over the past 2-3 years??  He's totally lost it.

Pre Dickenson post lousy years

2008 - 5 losses
2009 - 7 losses
2010 - 5 losses
2011 - 7 losses
2012 - 6 losses
2013 - 4 losses
2014 - 3 losses
2015 - 4 losses
2016 - 2 losses

Win percentage 71.2%

Dickenson era

2017 - 4 losses
2018 - 5 losses
2019 - 6 losses
2021 - 6 losses
2022 - 6 losses

Win percentage 71.2%

Clearly precipitous downtrend.  I mean, if you graphed it, it would nearly be a flat line.

You?re not proffering.  You?re pontificating from your posterior.  Dickensons winning percentage is as good as Huffs, who never had to deal with a hurt BLM, and better then Trestman?s with a healthy Calvillo.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: BlueInCgy on February 22, 2023, 10:56:38 PM
Pre Dickenson post lousy years

2008 - 5 losses
2009 - 7 losses
2010 - 5 losses
2011 - 7 losses
2012 - 6 losses
2013 - 4 losses
2014 - 3 losses
2015 - 4 losses
2016 - 2 losses

Win percentage 71.2%

Dickenson era

2017 - 4 losses
2018 - 5 losses
2019 - 6 losses
2021 - 6 losses
2022 - 6 losses

Win percentage 71.2%

Clearly precipitous downtrend.  I mean, if you graphed it, it would nearly be a flat line.

You?re not proffering.  You?re pontificating from your posterior.  Dickensons winning percentage is as good as Huffs, who never had to deal with a hurt BLM, and better then Trestman?s with a healthy Calvillo.

Consider they both benefitted enormously from BLM's record of 90-25-2 as a starting QB beginning in 2013, before Bo they had the likes of Drew Tate and Kevin Glenn who could never have achieved the results he did.

BlueInCgy

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on February 23, 2023, 03:42:19 AM
Consider they both benefitted enormously from BLM's record of 90-25-2 as a starting QB beginning in 2013, before Bo they had the likes of Drew Tate and Kevin Glenn who could never have achieved the results he did.

100% agree.  In seasons where BLM was healthy the entire season, they didn?t lose more than 4 games. 

blue_or_die

Bump!

This was fun to revisit.

A couple notes:

- Some predicting Edmonton to be a "powerhouse" - based on their big FA signings + having been just so uncharacteristically bad for a Jones team
- Mixed bag on Calgary...probably so jaded after having picked their demise for some time now. but here we are...they made the playoffs...
- Mixed bag on BC. Thought Rourke (and Burnham to a lesser extent) leaving would kill them but VAJ and their other great receivers stepped up
- We thought Montreal's off-season antics and losing Harris and Lewis would kill them. Didn't happen- they did far better than most of us thought
- Lots of wishful thinking for Ottawa. Thought Masoli was going to come in and play a full season like the superstar he never actually was

Also, sorry Tecno I absolutely don't mean to pick on you, but there are some gems in this hindsight-post:

Quote from: TecnoGenius on February 22, 2023, 10:25:46 PM
Ya, without Burnham and Rourke BC is pretty much nothing.  Remember the games when Rourke was injured?  They were relative garbage.  Now subtract Burnham, who was hands down the best SB in the league for years and years... BC is going to stink.  .500 at best.

Masoli: dude just has no luck.  Surely his luck has to change??  How many times can a guy get the short straw.
#Ride?

Jesse

I haven't read this yet, but I definitely though Edmonton was going to be better than they were. I expected Corny to improve a little and Brown and the receiving core to light it up a bit. Never happened.

I also thought the Riders would be better, but that was with a healthy Harris.

I definitely thought Montreal was going to be the league's whipping boy too.
My wife is amazing!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: blue_or_die on October 23, 2023, 06:39:53 PM
Also, sorry Tecno I absolutely don't mean to pick on you, but there are some gems in this hindsight-post:

No problem, my PS predictions were horribly wrong.  Well, except picking WPG to be in the GC again.

BC's an interesting case as VAJ managed to almost duplicate what Rourke did.  The key there was Hollins and Hatcher coming out of nowhere to be in the conversation for top-5 WRs in the CFL.  And their NATs WRs really excelled, too.  It was kind of like when we found Schoen: sometimes you just get lucky with an unknown guy.  But on paper their only "good" receiver in the PS looked to be Rhymes, so the predictions were valid.

I'd hand most of BC's success to Campbell, as he clearly showed his acumen as a GC-winning coach, making that BC team better year after year.  I kind of wish he had stayed in the east...

MTL I still think sucks, sorry.  On paper they are still bad.  Cody is still bad.  WRs: they really have one good one.  D is bad on paper but for some reason has been stellar.  I hand a lot of that to the new Dequoy kid, who should get top$$ in FA when he comes due.  I think MTL is so bad HAM can bump them off in the WSF.  I expect MTL to regress next season once the horseshoe is removed.

EDM: what a strange case study.  I'm still not sure what to make of them or who to assign blame on.  Surely Corny takes a ton of the blame, but as we've seen, it's not just him.  What would EDM have looked like with Zach or Kelly or VAJ at the helm?

Masoli: well, I jinxed him.  We'll never know what OTT could have done with a great, healthy Masoli.  He's still one of my faves, but most likely his time has passed.

But hey, I got it all wrong last off-season, so don't listen to me!!  :P :P
Never go full Rider!