Blue Bombers agree to terms with receiver Rasheed Bailey

Started by ModAdmin, February 17, 2023, 06:25:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theaardvark

Quote from: TecnoGenius on February 19, 2023, 05:03:14 AM
Good point.  Many people sign a bunch of top SB and samey guys that are really like 1-2 sets of the same players.  Our 5 have their unique style and position, with lots of overlap of course, just to make D's life tough.

Do we go with Bailey at WR?  Might we toy with Schoen on boundary side WR and put Bailey inside for the brutal whack-a-LB short crossers?

Woli was quiet in 2022.  I hope teams focus so much on our 3-4 killers that Woli sneaks past the zone for big go rails or posts.  I want Woli the quiet disrupter back.

Woli and Bailey are deadly outside.  When they get loose, Collaros can find them.

Schoen is the epitome of a waggle receiver.  His CFL dominance and NFL indifference shouts "Keep this guy running before the snap"

Demski and Lawler are SB.  Period. 

This lineup is all guys that can play the position they will be put in at an elite level.  Leave the "I'm going to make you something different" to Chris Jones...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

blue_gold_84

The skill and depth of the 2023 receiving corps are unmatched, IMO.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on February 21, 2023, 12:06:11 AM
The skill and depth of the 2023 receiving corps are unmatched, IMO.

When you factor in the stats, the experience both playoffs and regular season, top notch depth in both Canadian and American talent have we had ever better?

Matt Dunnigan had Jackson Alphin Wilcox and Williams was very good but not nearly as good in Canadian threats and depth

Stegall Bruce Simon was obviously awesome to if not average depth on the Canadian side (Stoddard Howell Drover)

I do not think the Murphy Poplawski House era measures up either. Not close there to me.

Knock on wood these horses can stay healthy!!!
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

the paw

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on February 21, 2023, 01:21:07 AM
When you factor in the stats, the experience both playoffs and regular season, top notch depth in both Canadian and American talent have we had ever better?

Matt Dunnigan had Jackson Alphin Wilcox and Williams was very good but not nearly as good in Canadian threats and depth

Stegall Bruce Simon was obviously awesome to if not average depth on the Canadian side (Stoddard Howell Drover)

I do not think the Murphy Poplawski House era measures up either. Not close there to me.

Knock on wood these horses can stay healthy!!!

The 1980 Bombers were awesome with Eugene Goodlow, Mike Holmes, House and Poplawski, even though Goodlow didn?t break out until the next year, by which time Holmes was gone.

In 1981, Goodlow had 1500 yds. Pops had 1271 and House had 1100.  And that was in a 16 game season.  I?d put those guys up against this crew man for man, recognizing that they didn?t use 5 receiver sets back then.
grab grass 'n growl

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: the paw on February 21, 2023, 01:36:58 AM
The 1980 Bombers were awesome with Eugene Goodlow, Mike Holmes, House and Poplawski, even though Goodlow didn?t break out until the next year, by which time Holmes was gone.

In 1981, Goodlow had 1500 yds. Pops had 1271 and House had 1100.  And that was in a 16 game season.  I?d put those guys up against this crew man for man, recognizing that they didn?t use 5 receiver sets back then.

To be clear you?d rather have that crew than this one?

Jesse

I'd put the 2007/8 Americans against anyone, but we didn't have any Canadians.
My wife is amazing!

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Jesse on February 21, 2023, 01:56:43 AM
I'd put the 2007/8 Americans against anyone, but we didn't have any Canadians.

YUP pretty good

Stegall
Armstrong
Brazzell
Edwards
Johnson III

that is a strong line up but Arjei Franklin as Canadian is average at best

the paw

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on February 21, 2023, 01:49:20 AM
To be clear you?d rather have that crew than this one?

Different eras, but I think so.  Goodlow was only here a couple of years, but I think he was the most purely talented receiver the Bombers have ever had.  I give him the edge over Lawler.  I think House and Demski are very comparable in terms of impact.  Joe Pop compares favourably to Schoen, plus he's Canadian.

The fourth receiver that year was kind of by committee, but the also used the running back and fullback much more in the passing game.  So its hard to find direct comparables to Bailey and Wolitarsky, but the top 3 I think were great.
grab grass 'n growl

Pigskin

Mid 80's. Boyd, Murphy, Tuttle, throw in Joe Pop.  1986 James Murphy 1746 yards. Perry Tuttle 1373 yards. 1985 Jeff Boyd, 1372.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: the paw on February 21, 2023, 03:02:00 AM
Different eras, but I think so.  Goodlow was only here a couple of years, but I think he was the most purely talented receiver the Bombers have ever had.  I give him the edge over Lawler.  I think House and Demski are very comparable in terms of impact.  Joe Pop compares favourably to Schoen, plus he's Canadian.

The fourth receiver that year was kind of by committee, but the also used the running back and fullback much more in the passing game.  So its hard to find direct comparables to Bailey and Wolitarsky, but the top 3 I think were great.
Funny  I never heard of Goodlow till now! lol
Not in CFL not in NFL nothing zilch nada even in all my reading of BB history hard cover books. Not really a mentionable that I recall. Sorry.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Pigskin on February 21, 2023, 03:07:29 AM
Mid 80's. Boyd, Murphy, Tuttle, throw in Joe Pop.  1986 James Murphy 1746 yards. Perry Tuttle 1373 yards. 1985 Jeff Boyd, 1372.
that is spread over multi years though. I am looking 1 year WR corp depth and talent. Canadian and American combined.

ichabod_crane

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on February 21, 2023, 04:02:34 AM
Funny  I never heard of Goodlow till now! lol
Not in CFL not in NFL nothing zilch nada even in all my reading of BB history hard cover books. Not really a mentionable that I recall. Sorry.

Goodlow had a breakout season in 1981 setting a then cfl record 100 catches. He was on track to do the same in 1982 as well before a mid season injury befell him. That sort of messed up the bombers as they never were the same after that. He might have been the difference to them going to the cup that season.  He was a true game breaker. After 1982 he went to the nfl to play with the saints I believe and had a few productive years down there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugene_Goodlow

1983 brought many changes to the bombers and the cfl. Usfl had started and many cfl coaches and players went there. Start of the ?kindly? cal Murphy era. One of the biggest trades in cfl history later in 1983 with brock going to the cats with Tommy clements coming the bombers way.

Pigskin

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on February 21, 2023, 04:04:09 AM
that is spread over multi years though. I am looking 1 year WR corp depth and talent. Canadian and American combined.

1986: Boyd, Tuttle, Murphy, Joe Pop, all played together.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Pigskin on February 21, 2023, 04:51:08 AM
1986: Boyd, Tuttle, Murphy, Joe Pop, all played together.

Slightly before my time but obviously I?ve read and watched game replays of these guys. Impressive combination it?ll just be interesting this upcoming year to see what kind of stats this wide receiver corps can come up with in comparison to previous groups?

Blue In BC

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on February 21, 2023, 01:52:36 PM
Slightly before my time but obviously I?ve read and watched game replays of these guys. Impressive combination it?ll just be interesting this upcoming year to see what kind of stats this wide receiver corps can come up with in comparison to previous groups?

Different eras and difficult to compare. Mostly grass fields and often 2 RB sets, so different kind of games. That said, we had some very good receivers both Canadian and imports. Stegall, Simon, Tuttle, Goodlow etc were studs.

2019 Grey Cup Champions