Dakota Prukop

Started by Norm W, February 15, 2023, 02:32:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LXTSN

Quote from: TecnoGenius on March 03, 2023, 07:52:11 PM
If BC over-stocked on QB with the Evans trade, that might shake Dom Davis loose.  Would we welcome Dom back to WPG if he does?  He's evolved into a great SY/#3.  He maintains a legit pass threat (which we love), and can even do ok as an in-game replacement #2.

Assuming Prukop moves on, of course.  I'd rather have Dom back than Pipkin, TBH.  I don't think any bridges were burned when he left.

What are we thinking about Michael O'Connor? He isn't listed on the Lions depth chart, but is a big dude.
The other guy I was thinking of would be Jamie Newman from the Ti-cats. It would take a really small trade but I think there could be something there.

My favorite option would be just signing someone young and hungry!

theaardvark

QB3 pays close to ELC, and is usually filled by a prospect.  Brown is our QB2, and heir apparent. 

I am sure our scouts can find the next Pipkin, O'Connor, Streveler, McGuire, Prokup that will come apprentice on a cap friendly ELC.  If, after TC, we haven't filled that spot, then I am sure one of the QB's I just mentioned may be available.  IF Prokup hasn't signed here before TC.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Horseman

I would pass on Dom Davis as when he played here against us, he disrespected our fans and the organization. And I carry a grudge!!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on March 03, 2023, 08:27:13 PM
I am sure our scouts can find the next Pipkin, O'Connor, Streveler, McGuire, Prokup that will come apprentice on a cap friendly ELC.  If, after TC, we haven't filled that spot, then I am sure one of the QB's I just mentioned may be available.  IF Prokup hasn't signed here before TC.

Maybe.  Let's look at our last few SY guys:

Dom Davis*
LeFevor
Strev*
McGuire*
Prukop

I think the * guys we found ourselves?  So 2 out of 5 were FA pickups.  About half.

So based on our track record, it's a crapshoot whether we scout a young'n or pick up a loose FA.

I'm sure Prukop wasn't making bare ELC minimum... probably actually made around what Dom would cost.  We should have the SMS space for a vet SY guy if we don't go the scout route.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Horseman on March 03, 2023, 08:56:03 PM
I would pass on Dom Davis as when he played here against us, he disrespected our fans and the organization. And I carry a grudge!!

I may have missed that, what did he do??  If he dissed us, then the bridge is burnt, and to heck with him.  Strange, I always thought Dom was a decent guy.  Waiting on the details...
Never go full Rider!

Horseman

Quote from: TecnoGenius on March 03, 2023, 09:20:19 PM
I may have missed that, what did he do??  If he dissed us, then the bridge is burnt, and to heck with him.  Strange, I always thought Dom was a decent guy.  Waiting on the details...

He was playing for Mtl when they beat us here at home, he scored a short yardage touchdown and went and jumped into the stands like Yoshi does and then when he was pushed back he was being mouthy to the fans and pumping his arm at them.

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: Horseman on March 04, 2023, 12:38:33 AM
He was playing for Mtl when they beat us here at home, he scored a short yardage touchdown and went and jumped into the stands like Yoshi does and then when he was pushed back he was being mouthy to the fans and pumping his arm at them.
Revenge is a dish best served cold....
Bomber fan for life

Jesse

Man, why does everyone want these proven to terrible vets on our team?
My wife is amazing!

Pigskin

Quote from: Jesse on March 04, 2023, 01:31:05 PM

Agree.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

blue_or_die

I don?t want Dom Davis or anything but I think people want qb3 to be a big reliable plunger in SY but also to have some CFL complete passes to show there?s some versatility. Prukop was very good at doing this and it was nice to not worry about being stopped or fumbling in the gimme plays
#Ride?

TecnoGenius

Because the MOS M.O. requires a 99% success rate on short yardage.

We no longer use our QB3 as a dev / future-starter guy.  That's our #2.  QB3 is just for SY, to master SY, and if we're lucky include a threat to pass on 2nd & 1, and be able to run the edge once in a blue moon.

If you bring in a young rookie IMP, you're gambling big time with that 99% rate.  (Strev was an outlier.)

Besides wunderkind Strev, our best SY guys in recent years were seasoned vets: LeFevor and Prukop.  McGuire was also very good, but he had all of '19 to develop behind Strev before thrust into the every-down SY position.

Dom would fit our requirements very nicely.  Pipkin probably too.  Prukop would be ideal.  I will be somewhat shocked if we field a raw CFL rookie at SY.

I'll tell you one thing: Brown will not be our SY guy.  He's our "can he be a future Zach" injury-replacement guy.
Never go full Rider!

bluengold204

Quote from: TecnoGenius on March 04, 2023, 08:44:16 PM
Because the MOS M.O. requires a 99% success rate on short yardage.

We no longer use our QB3 as a dev / future-starter guy.  That's our #2.  QB3 is just for SY, to master SY, and if we're lucky include a threat to pass on 2nd & 1, and be able to run the edge once in a blue moon.

If you bring in a young rookie IMP, you're gambling big time with that 99% rate.  (Strev was an outlier.)

Besides wunderkind Strev, our best SY guys in recent years were seasoned vets: LeFevor and Prukop.  McGuire was also very good, but he had all of '19 to develop behind Strev before thrust into the every-down SY position.

Dom would fit our requirements very nicely.  Pipkin probably too.  Prukop would be ideal.  I will be somewhat shocked if we field a raw CFL rookie at SY.

I'll tell you one thing: Brown will not be our SY guy.  He's our "can he be a future Zach" injury-replacement guy.

2nd and 1 is almost guaranteed in the cfl no matter who the QB is

pjrocksmb

Quote from: bluengold204 on March 04, 2023, 11:34:28 PM
2nd and 1 is almost guaranteed in the cfl no matter who the QB is

Disagree Bombers have stopped many a team with one yard.  Yes they convert at a high percentage but you need a good oline, scheme and strong big athletic QB goes a long way.  Dom Davis and a number of other current and pass QBs have been able to fill this niche roll and they are valuable to the team.

That all said we need stats junkie to give us the goods lol

blue_gold_84

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on February 17, 2023, 03:31:23 PM
Streveler isn't coming back to the CFL. As much as I'd love to see him back here, he's got solid footing the NFL.

Looking forward to seeing how this comment ages next year. :D
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Lincoln Locomotive

It was interesting to note that once DP became available to us we dropped Pigrone immediately, who went on to work with Ottawa.    At the time he was being heralded as perhaps a challenge to Dru Brown's #2 ranking at QB.    It didn't help his cause when he was stuffed on two successive SY attempts at the goal line.    He never had the physical stature of Dakota and wowed us early in the preseason with some long gainers and spectacular runs.    It was never confirmed if he could pass however and when Dakota showed up he was gone.    DP has had a number of fumbles this season in short yardage situations, most recently in our last game where he had two, when we were in FG range.    Other than that he has been money for us in short yardage situations and has made some good gains on 2nd and 3rd down situations.    He can also complete the occasion pass however it's always a bit of a gamble when he gets the green light to throw.   
Bomber fan for life