Dru Brown keep at all costs or accept that he's gone

Started by bunker, October 28, 2023, 02:52:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keep at all costs or accept that he's gone

He'll be too expensive, we'll have to let him go and hope Zach ages well
13 (28.3%)
He's too good and too young to lose, find some way to keep him even if it means eventually trading or cutting Zach
10 (21.7%)
Try to keep both of them by offering Drew a three year deal with huge money in the third year guaranteed
20 (43.5%)
Let him go, small sample size and any QB would look good in this offence
3 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Voting closed: November 27, 2023, 01:52:42 PM

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on October 30, 2023, 11:49:47 AM
Dru Brown is a really good QB prospect but that is no guarantee he's a sure fire starter. You put Brown behind a different offensive line with a less dominant running game, a different system and a downgrade at receiver and who knows what happens. I would definitely try and keep Brown, but you can't move on from Collaros to do it. That would make no sense.

This. Well said.

I think Brown has tremendous upside but how he progresses is dependent on so many factors, so his production thus far on a perennial contender should be taken with a grain of salt.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

TBURGESS

QB's this year...

Calgary - Only team to start the same QB all year long.
Wpg - Our two time all star QB started all but 2 games, one of which he could have started.
BC & Tor - Both had to replace their starting QB's in the off season.
Mtl - Played their 2nd string QB for part of the season.
Ott, Ham, Skn, Edm - All ended up playing their 3rd string QB's for much of the season.

Brown, a 2nd string QB, looks good compared to the teams who were forced to play their 3rd string QB's for much of the season.
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

Blueforlife

It takes an elite QB to look good on a bad team.  While we would expect Brown to struggle on the weakest teams, he would also likely do well on the average and better clubs.  I believe a QBs success is primarily dependent on his experience, then talent, then OL and then the offensive system in which he plays for (does it suit his style).  Of course the run game and talent level at receiver are also significant factors.

Brown is good, might be great.  I would put a pretty penny on a down payment to ensure we find out.  We will only know once he gets a season or two of games under his belt.

The last thing to consider when looking at the expectations for a young QB is to see how well they do over a number of consecutive games.  Can they adapt to different teams? Can they do well when they face adversity? Can they overcome defensive adjustments as it pertains to clubs having more film on them?

So many factors.  Of course in this case the all mighty dollar will trump them all.  In order to keep Dru we would have to sacrifice someone else.  Very difficult decision for the club.

For any young stud having a good mentor is key.  Dru has had one of the best in the biz and that has served him well.

I see the playoffs having a potential factor in the decision on Brown.  His stock could go up or down depending if he plays and also seeing how other teams QB preform or if they get seriously injured.  Agree that it's a post cup decision that the club will need time to figure out.
Sometimes you need a fresh start

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TBURGESS on October 30, 2023, 01:55:41 PM
QB's this year...

Calgary - Only team to start the same QB all year long.
Wpg - Our two time all star QB started all but 2 games, one of which he could have started.
BC & Tor - Both had to replace their starting QB's in the off season.
Mtl - Played their 2nd string QB for part of the season.
Ott, Ham, Skn, Edm - All ended up playing their 3rd string QB's for much of the season.

Brown, a 2nd string QB, looks good compared to the teams who were forced to play their 3rd string QB's for much of the season.

People often see a good QB as the first ingredient of a winning team, a magic pill that will solve all woes and instantly   make their team a winner, in reality a good QB is often the last piece of the puzzle that makes a well coached team a winning machine.  Take Nick Arbuckle's time in Calgary as an example of mediocre QB finding success on a well built team.  I can't find any evidence of a QB single handedly dragging a poorly built and coached team through to the end of the playoffs.  Other key puzzle pieces must already be in place and performing well for a team to become a contender.

Waffler

He also hasn't taken a pounding for 18 games. On some teams a QB does, if they last 18.  Still think he took a step to the next level this year and I think that's good for him and good for us.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

Pigskin

I like both Dukes and Brown.

Dukes 6'1" 205, 25 years old.

Brown 5'11", 190, 26 years old.

Both have very good arm strength. Dukes runs better then Brown and more often.

However Brown has an impressive 7 TDs and 0 Int. stat, Dukes 1TD, and 1 Int.

Brown 2 full years in the CFL, Dukes 1.

Both could could start with a good OL in front of them, and a good running game like the Bombers and Argos have.

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pigskin on October 30, 2023, 07:36:23 PM
I like both Dukes and Brown.

I thought Dukes looked mediocre at best.  Whatever he does needs a huge boulder of salt because he's surrounded by possibly the best team in the league (I think 2nd best, but some would argue).  As someone already said: beware Arbuckle syndrome.
Never go full Rider!

peg_city

How about we get a situation like Toronto last year? Backup comes in and wins us the Grey Cup. Then we have a REAL dilemma.

Isn't Collaros's contract somehow guaranteed?

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: peg_city on October 31, 2023, 01:49:56 PM
How about we get a situation like Toronto last year? Backup comes in and wins us the Grey Cup. Then we have a REAL dilemma.

Isn't Collaros's contract somehow guaranteed?

Collaros will be paid $600,000 annually in his new agreement for a total of $1.8 million over three years through the 2025 season. $250,000 of his $500,000 base salary is guaranteed in the final year of the contract, as per the new collective bargaining agreement stipulation allowing contracts for veteran players to be partially guaranteed.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: peg_city on October 31, 2023, 01:49:56 PM

Careful what you wish for!  Now go wash your mouth out with soap!  ;) ;)

I don't care if Dru plays the entirety of both games and wins it all 80-0, Zach is our guy.

I think Kelly was a special case because he did that 2nd & 17 run to basically win the game.  Dru isn't a runner, Dru isn't doing that run.  My jury is still out on Kelly.  We'll see what he's like after another GC and/or season.  Running QBs can look better than they really are.

I have a hard time believing TOR just lucked into a dynasty QB in his "rookie" year.  Remember, the TOR team was so good they made MBT look good, and he's mediocre hot/cold at best.  There's other things making that team click than just the not-many-yards hot-headed QB.
Never go full Rider!

J5V

Quote from: TecnoGenius on November 01, 2023, 06:25:42 AM
Careful what you wish for!  Now go wash your mouth out with soap!  ;) ;)

I don't care if Dru plays the entirety of both games and wins it all 80-0, Zach is our guy.

I think Kelly was a special case because he did that 2nd & 17 run to basically win the game.  Dru isn't a runner, Dru isn't doing that run.  My jury is still out on Kelly.  We'll see what he's like after another GC and/or season.  Running QBs can look better than they really are.

I have a hard time believing TOR just lucked into a dynasty QB in his "rookie" year.  Remember, the TOR team was so good they made MBT look good, and he's mediocre hot/cold at best.  There's other things making that team click than just the not-many-yards hot-headed QB.
Yeah, I am buying what you're selling here. I'm not sold on Kelly. He obviously has a good arm and knows how to run the Argo offense but I'm not sold on the intangibles. We *know* Zach is a winner. It was obvious in 2019 and nothing has changed my mind about that. Zach has been through it all multiple times and has come out of the fire tempered like the finest grades of steel. We haven't seen enough of Kelly to know how he'll handle the furnace and adversities this game presents. He may yet be consumed by those flames when they come. We'll see.

To me the difference between the Bombers and the Argos is the quality of the team. When this Bomber team comes together in adversity the result is greater than the sum of it's parts. We don't know this about Toronto. They have very good players but we don't know how great their team is. Beating up the weak sissies on the street isn't the same as fighting the best from Fight Club and coming out on top.
Go Bombers!