Kyle Walters

Started by ModAdmin, February 15, 2023, 06:00:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModAdmin

We talk a lot about players, coaches, team records, Free Agency and the draft and rightly so.  When I look at the number of free agents we initially had in 2023 I am amazed at what has been accomplished in re-signing our core players (several to 2 and 3 year contracts) and bringing in one of the most sought-after players in the league.

It seems to me that we sometimes overlook the person who is probably the key to making this all this come together - that is Kyle Walters.

Just want to recognize him in all that is happening now and will happen during the CFL draft and player recruitment prior to training camp.  He has done a truly outstanding job in retaining key players, bringing in one of the stars of the league and giving this team a reasonable shot at competing for another Grey Cup appearance this season.

Still a long ways to go but well done Mr. Walters.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

pjrocksmb

Key cog in the building of our dynasty

Jesse

Can't wait for the statue of MOS, Walters, and Miller.
My wife is amazing!

blue_or_die

Yes, KW is the most important individual in our organization.

Fight me
#Ride?

TBURGESS

Walters is more important to our success than MOS & I'm tired of pretending otherwise.
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

blue_gold_84

Best GM in the league and it's not even close.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

the paw

the think I like about Walters is the completeness of his GM game.  He drafts well, not only in the early rounds, but gets value in later rounds by picking dedicated special teamers rather than long shots.  His scouting team has done an excellent job in unearthing talent for the secondary. 

He is really solid at scrap-heapin' , or more delicately phrased, repurposing players.  Guys like Nick Taylor, Maston, Rose, Kolankowski, Miller have all extended their careers and hit their highest and best use here.  He has no reservations about going to free agency for key acquisitions, which we have seen over and over again:  Chris Randle, Bighill, Bryant, Lawler, Demski etc.

And lastly, he has shown the ability to make timely trades, and isn't scared to pull the trigger to make the deal.  Nichols and Collaros being two shining examples. 
grab grass 'n growl

KINGCHARLES

Quote from: TBURGESS on February 15, 2023, 02:28:27 PM
Walters is more important to our success than MOS & I'm tired of pretending otherwise.

IMO the entire Canadian Mafia is equally as important to one another... we have an amazing group of management and coaching and i wouldnt single out any specific person as mort important than the others.
Miller keeping Walters in charge is just as important as Walters and Miller keeping O'Shea as our Head Coach.
Walters and his assistant GM, scouts and operations staff has been doing a phenomenal job of always improving our roster and always finding new hidden gems.
O'Shea is an ultimate "players/team" coach. He will never throw any specific person under the bus, he will even put the blame on himself before blaming others and that helps with the team/family mentality the also helps recruit and retain players.
its very unfortunate that Ambroise put a coaches salary cap in place. Financially successful teams could dominate further on the field with high quality coaching staffs to keep continuity in place. (this is why teams like Edm and Calgary have Head Coaches with dual roles as GM's, because it helps pay them less as Head coach and helps give more money to assitant coaches)
BEASTS OF THE EAST

I DON'T BRAKE FOR RIDER FANS

theaardvark

Hand and glove.  Walters, no doubt, has been the most effective GM for a while.  But dismissing MOS's contributions is shortsighted.  Walters finds the diamonds in teh rough, and MOS polished them up and puts the edges on them.  Walters knows what MOS needs, and goes out and gets it.  They are a dynamic duo, but more like two Batmans than a Batman and a Robin.

The input side of the GM job is what everyone seems to focus on, and that is a big part, but guys like Buono and Huff have long been applauded for something KW seems to do very well, and that is not make mistakes with veteran players.  He seems to sign when he needs (and they are still capable), and allows them to leave if the price is too high, or the return might be in question.  But, every time he lets a player leave, e always seems to have a back up plan, many times with an even better player, at a very good price.

All facets of Mr. Walters game are on point.  And he does not seem to be influenced by whether his decision is popular, like with AH33.  He makes the decision that is in the best interest of the team.

So glad he didn't take the Guelph job yet.  It probably would have been a cushy job, but I don't think he's done with the CFL any time soon...  
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: TBURGESS on February 15, 2023, 02:28:27 PM

I don't think you've ever pretended.

GOLDMEMBER

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Throw Long Bannatyne

All true, Walters is the best GM in the league by a country mile, so good Huff up and quit!

ModAdmin

Quote from: KINGCHARLES on February 15, 2023, 04:04:25 PM
IMO the entire Canadian Mafia is equally as important to one another... we have an amazing group of management and coaching and i wouldnt single out any specific person as mort important than the others.
Miller keeping Walters in charge is just as important as Walters and Miller keeping O'Shea as our Head Coach.
Walters and his assistant GM, scouts and operations staff has been doing a phenomenal job of always improving our roster and always finding new hidden gems.
O'Shea is an ultimate "players/team" coach. He will never throw any specific person under the bus, he will even put the blame on himself before blaming others and that helps with the team/family mentality the also helps recruit and retain players.
its very unfortunate that Ambroise put a coaches salary cap in place. Financially successful teams could dominate further on the field with high quality coaching staffs to keep continuity in place. (this is why teams like Edm and Calgary have Head Coaches with dual roles as GM's, because it helps pay them less as Head coach and helps give more money to assitant coaches)

You are correct the entire Blue Bomber team (coaches, GM, scouts, President, etc.) are all important and key pieces in bringing the team to where it is now.

The point I was making is that Walters is the person dealing with players and their agents to fit players under the cap and still pay them in a manner that keeps them with the team.  IMHO he did an admirable job in doing that this year and still be able to acquire a player like KL89.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

TecnoGenius

Quote from: the paw on February 15, 2023, 03:39:56 PM
He is really solid at scrap-heapin' , or more delicately phrased, repurposing players.  Guys like Nick Taylor, Maston, Rose, Kolankowski, Miller have all extended their careers and hit their highest and best use here.  He has no reservations about going to free agency for key acquisitions, which we have seen over and over again:  Chris Randle, Bighill, Bryant, Lawler, Demski etc.

And lastly, he has shown the ability to make timely trades, and isn't scared to pull the trigger to make the deal.  Nichols and Collaros being two shining examples. 

This.  "Scrap-heapin".  I've never seen a GM better at taking the "dregs" discarded by other teams, or sneakily trading for a potential all-star with an unsuspecting team thinking they are shedding hot garbage.

I guarantee you the whole Mafia (esp MOS, KW and McManus) have little notebooks they jot down lesser-known player names on other teams all season that stand out to them.  I'm positive that's how we got Maston, Taylor, etc.  Everyone can see that Willie J is a desirable player, but how many spotted Taylor?
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on February 15, 2023, 04:48:33 PM
All facets of Mr. Walters game are on point.  And he does not seem to be influenced by whether his decision is popular, like with AH33.  He makes the decision that is in the best interest of the team.

Yes, another strong trait.  The social pressure and "am I doing the right thing" doubt with the AH move must have been enormous.  I bet he lost a lot of sleep over it.  I remember that off-season he looked haggard in the pressers.  That took a lot of strength.
Never go full Rider!