Blue Bombers re-sign Global linebacker Maruo

Started by ModAdmin, February 14, 2023, 03:44:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModAdmin

WINNIPEG, MB., February 14, 2023 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the signing of Global linebacker Les Maruo to a one-year deal. He was scheduled to become a free agent today.

Maruo (6-0, 225, University of Texas-San Antonio; born: February 14, 1996, in Yokkaichi, Japan) returns to the Blue Bombers for a third season after initially being selected by the club in the first round, 4th overall, in the 2021 CFL Global Draft.

Maruo dressed for 17 regular season games in 2022 as well as the Western Final and Grey Cup. He had 14 tackles and a sack while increasing his work with the defence, adding seven more tackles on special teams. Maruo also had two special teams tackles in the Grey Cup game.

Maruo appeared in seven games in his rookie season of 2021, registering six defensive tackles as part of a group that captured the Grey Cup that year.

Born in Japan, Maruo grew up in Wichita, KS after his family moved to the United States when he was nine years old. He played his college ball at the University of Texas-San Antonio, starting all 12 games for the Roadrunners in his senior season and posting 86 tackles, 4.5 tackles for a loss, two sacks, two fumble recoveries, one interception and one pass knockdown.

Maruo has also played in Japan?s X-League over the past few winters, suiting up with the Asahi Challengers and Panasonic Impulse.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Lincoln Locomotive

The guy is impressive physically.....could he ever evolve into a starter?  He has played well when given the opportunity
Bomber fan for life

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: ModAdmin on February 14, 2023, 03:44:38 PM

WINNIPEG, MB., February 14, 2023 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the signing of Global linebacker Les Maruo to a one-year deal. He was scheduled to become a free agent today.

Maruo (6-0, 225, University of Texas-San Antonio; born: February 14, 1996, in Yokkaichi, Japan) returns to the Blue Bombers for a third season after initially being selected by the club in the first round, 4th overall, in the 2021 CFL Global Draft.

Maruo dressed for 17 regular season games in 2022 as well as the Western Final and Grey Cup. He had 14 tackles and a sack while increasing his work with the defence, adding seven more tackles on special teams. Maruo also had two special teams tackles in the Grey Cup game.

Maruo appeared in seven games in his rookie season of 2021, registering six defensive tackles as part of a group that captured the Grey Cup that year.

Born in Japan, Maruo grew up in Wichita, KS after his family moved to the United States when he was nine years old. He played his college ball at the University of Texas-San Antonio, starting all 12 games for the Roadrunners in his senior season and posting 86 tackles, 4.5 tackles for a loss, two sacks, two fumble recoveries, one interception and one pass knockdown.

Maruo has also played in Japan?s X-League over the past few winters, suiting up with the Asahi Challengers and Panasonic Impulse.

Another example of CFL teams sidestepping the leagues own initiatives, for all purposes Mauro is an American from Kansas with slim roots to Japan. What about all these players that were born in the Congo?  Not sure the Global program has achieved anything concrete in the time it's run, seems to have become Ambrosie's pet projects that is no longer talked about and will get turfed as soon as he's replaced as commissioner.

Someday soon the league has to get their act together and put together a game plan all teams believe in and follow to a tee, instead of always coming up with loopholes that are easier to follow.  It's not like an outside organization or government is imposing arbitrary rules the league has to follow, they willfully sabotage themselves.  Bit of a joke, if the idea is bad turf it, if not then invest in it's purpose and attempt to achieve it's goals honestly.

theaardvark

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on February 14, 2023, 05:11:20 PM
Another example of CFL teams sidestepping the leagues own initiatives, for all purposes Mauro is an American from Kansas with slim roots to Japan. What about all these players that were born in the Congo?  Not sure the Global program has achieved anything concrete in the time it's run, seems to have become Ambrosie's pet projects that is no longer talked about and will get turfed as soon as he's replaced as commissioner.

Someday soon the league has to get their act together and put together a game plan all teams believe in and follow to a tee, instead of always coming up with loopholes that are easier to follow.  It's not like an outside organization or government is imposing arbitrary rules the league has to follow, they willfully sabotage themselves.  Bit of a joke, if the idea is bad turf it, if not then invest in it's purpose and attempt to achieve it's goals honestly.

How many NAT's are Americans with a parent of proper passport?  Hansen is the epitome of what the Global initiative was designed for, and while many GM's are skirting it, many have brought in Aussie punters and other actual Globals...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

TecnoGenius

I won't rehash my opinion on the GLOB issue.

But I'm happy to see Maruo back.  He has morphed into a legit D special-set guy, and I wouldn't hesitate to put him in along the same lines as Gauthier or Briggs.  We used Maruo heavily later in the season on D, and of course ST.

He has good size and is picking up the Canadian game very well.  Him plus Hansen slotting back in make our GLOB corps the best in the league, with guys that will actually see the field a lot.

Good on The Mafia for making the best of the GLOB rules and roster slots.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Ok, so what's up with Maruo's 00 (double zero)?  You see it on occasion.  We all know 0 (zero) is allowed.  But why 00?

Can a WR pick 08 when Zach is on the field with 8?  If not, why do we make the exception for 00?  In math, 00=0, it's the same number.

Maybe we allow this because someone likes roulette?  Is there some history on the use of 00 in football?

If tomorrow I was transformed into the next best CFL WR and I got signed, I'd request -1 (minus one).

Or maybe sqrt-symbol of -1.  That number would be as imaginary as my dream of a CFL career...
Never go full Rider!

Sec223

Quote from: TecnoGenius on February 15, 2023, 05:28:02 AM
Ok, so what's up with Maruo's 00 (double zero)?  You see it on occasion.  We all know 0 (zero) is allowed.  But why 00?

Can a WR pick 08 when Zach is on the field with 8?  If not, why do we make the exception for 00?  In math, 00=0, it's the same number.

Maybe we allow this because someone likes roulette?  Is there some history on the use of 00 in football?

If tomorrow I was transformed into the next best CFL WR and I got signed, I'd request -1 (minus one).

Or maybe sqrt-symbol of -1.  That number would be as imaginary as my dream of a CFL career...

sure glad I read that LOL