Montreal situation

Started by Blue In BC, February 14, 2023, 01:09:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue In BC

Quote from: DM83 on February 14, 2023, 07:14:39 PM
A shoddy ancient falling apart stadium....like the one they play in now at whatever University that is?  McGill.

Let's quit dicking around.  Move Toronto to Windsor
Move Montreal to Quebec City or Moncton/Halifax

Hey Ho!

Need stadiums for that to happen.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on February 14, 2023, 07:59:15 PM
Yah, I think it lacks a tenant and the Als prefer playing in Molson Stadium, probably way cheaper to rent.

I'm thinking the Xtreme turf is probably pretty dead there, and they would need a full returf for it (last changed in 2014).  And that's not cheap.

Molson is great, but they should want to grow out of it.  Playing indoors in winter would mean much larger crowds, and if the Big O is empty, can't imagine the rent would be that bad.  And I can't see a cup hosted at Molson.  But at the Big O, they could host a GC every handful of year, probably pay the rent right there...  who wouldn't want to go to Montreal for a GC and sit indoors...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: theaardvark on February 14, 2023, 08:59:53 PM
I'm thinking the Xtreme turf is probably pretty dead there, and they would need a full returf for it (last changed in 2014).  And that's not cheap.

Molson is great, but they should want to grow out of it.  Playing indoors in winter would mean much larger crowds, and if the Big O is empty, can't imagine the rent would be that bad.  And I can't see a cup hosted at Molson.  But at the Big O, they could host a GC every handful of year, probably pay the rent right there...  who wouldn't want to go to Montreal for a GC and sit indoors...

I think the Als used if for a playoff game within the last 5 years, but can't really recall for sure. Montreal hasn't hosted the G.C. since 2001, maybe the CFL throws the new owners a bone.

Norm W

Have been to both stadiums, the last Grey Cup held in the "O" and caught a Bomber game at Percival Field i.e. McGill University or Molson Stadium. I prefer the latter. The Big O is just too big for the current attendance draw, and that would apply to every team in the league, its permanent seating is set at just over 56,000 seats and if I recall correctly they can expand it with temporary seating to the 70k to 80K range. Remember the optics of games being played in the Skydome and BC Place with 10,000 to 15,000 fans in the seats... isn't pretty!
No such thing as too much jet fuel in the tanks, unless your'e on fire :)

The Fresh Prince Of Belair, MB

CF Montreal vs. Philadelphia Union (MLS)
Home opener March 18, 2023 @ 7:30
Olympic Stadium

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on February 14, 2023, 09:19:34 PM
I think the Als used if for a playoff game within the last 5 years, but can't really recall for sure. Montreal hasn't hosted the G.C. since 2001, maybe the CFL throws the new owners a bone.

It's been over a decade since the last CFL game at that stadium: the 2012 East Final.

Montreal last hosted a Grey Cup in 2008.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Jesse

Quote from: theaardvark on February 14, 2023, 08:59:53 PM

Dude, at this point, they're trying to grow INTO Molson, not out of it.

No team is every going to have the sttendance draw for Olympic stadium, even if it was refurnished.
My wife is amazing!

KINGCHARLES

I don't understand why some fans think larger stadiums is the answer to "gate revenue". When really the biggest problem with gate revenue is a combination of properly priced ticket prices and marketing the teams.
I believe all teams would be better off with their gate revenue if they studied their ticket prices and maybe reduced all ticket prices and found creative ways to market the hell out of their teams to attract more fans to games.
Honestly wouldn't a team like the Argos be much better off if they drastically reduced the prices of their avg 15,000 empty seats in half.

For example in Toronto: (simple math)
27,000 seats  x $75/seat = 12,000 fans per game.
12,000 fans/game X $75 X 9 home games = $8,100,000/season.

27,000 x $40 x 9= $9,720,000
with a proper marketing and ticket price plan in place cities like Toronto should have no problem selling out every game. I don't understand why teams wouldn't try to get creative with attempting to sell out every game. More fans equals better/louder atmosphere for the home team. If every team in the CFL could figure out how to sell out all seats for every game each team would probably be in the black every year and it might further help get larger tv contracts/exposure.
BEASTS OF THE EAST

I DON'T BRAKE FOR RIDER FANS

theaardvark

Its not that the O is a larger stadium (but it is), it is that it is a climate controlled stadium.  Which makes late season and playoff games attendable.

And what better city to have a Grey Cup in than Montreal?

I went to the cup in Toronto in 1978 (Exhibition) and 1979 (Big O), and all things aside, the Montreal trip was way better...

As to it being too big to host the current crowds, yes.  But there are way of increasing the attendance, papering the upper decks with free seats for kids and/or New Canadians, growing the base and concessions...  but they will need to limit airhorn idiots...  that would be intolerable indoors
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

blue_gold_84

With the current situation as it pertains to that organization, I can't see trying to make a larger and more expensive venue a worthwhile consideration. Too risky considering the circumstances.

A stable ownership group and a competitive team are more important - and necessary - priorities at this stage of the game for Montreal Alouettes. IMO, anyway.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

theaardvark

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on February 15, 2023, 05:22:46 PM
With the current situation as it pertains to that organization, I can't see trying to make a larger and more expensive venue a worthwhile consideration. Too risky considering the circumstances.

A stable ownership group and a competitive team are more important - and necessary - priorities at this stage of the game for Montreal Alouettes. IMO, anyway.

If the "local ownership group" included a minority involvement by the Government of Quebec (owners of the Big O), I would guess cost of the facility would be a much lessened issue... getting 9-11 dates per year for a venue like that could be huge for the venue's bottom line, even if it was at a % of gate revenue arrangement...

Jesse

Quote from: theaardvark on February 15, 2023, 05:04:22 PM
Its not that the O is a larger stadium (but it is), it is that it is a climate controlled stadium.  Which makes late season and playoff games attendable.

And what better city to have a Grey Cup in than Montreal?

I went to the cup in Toronto in 1978 (Exhibition) and 1979 (Big O), and all things aside, the Montreal trip was way better...

As to it being too big to host the current crowds, yes.  But there are way of increasing the attendance, papering the upper decks with free seats for kids and/or New Canadians, growing the base and concessions...  but they will need to limit airhorn idiots...  that would be intolerable indoors

So you had a good time there in 1979 and feel that is a compelling reason for a franchise to go back to the venue 20 years after deciding it was not a viable option?
My wife is amazing!

blue_gold_84

Quote from: theaardvark on February 15, 2023, 05:37:32 PM
If the "local ownership group" included a minority involvement by the Government of Quebec (owners of the Big O), I would guess cost of the facility would be a much lessened issue... getting 9-11 dates per year for a venue like that could be huge for the venue's bottom line, even if it was at a % of gate revenue arrangement...

That's a big if, Aardsy. I can't see a provincial gov't getting involved in such a thing, either.

Quote from: Jesse on February 15, 2023, 05:40:33 PM
So you had a good time there in 1979 and feel that is a compelling reason for a franchise to go back to the venue 20 years after deciding it was not a viable option?

Right? LOL :D
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

theaardvark

Quote from: Jesse on February 15, 2023, 05:40:33 PM

Not meaning the venue, but the city...

TecnoGenius

Quote from: KINGCHARLES on February 15, 2023, 04:39:43 PM
I don't understand why some fans think larger stadiums is the answer to "gate revenue". When really the biggest problem with gate revenue is a combination of properly priced ticket prices and marketing the teams.

You know who does ticket prices really well?  SSK.  Mosaic has a whack ton of different "zones" and tiered ticket prices.  When you've decided what you want to spend, there's another section nearby that upgrades you for like $25 more.  And then another section $25 more than that... They literally tailor it so that everyone is tempted to spend the max they can afford.

IGF just does a handful of pricing zones then the big jump to Pinnacle.  Nothing to entice people either way.

At IGF the top-most nosebleeds (say top 7 rows) should be a chunk cheaper than the lower rows, in a whole ring around the stadium.  Kids section should be way cheaper.  I'd say every 2 sections over in any area should be a different price, not 4 sections in a row all the same price.  TM makes this all super easy, like it is for Mosaic.  And you'd eliminate the "bunching up" of butts in seats you get with the current price scheme; if you price everything right.

And kids should always be 1/2 price in any section with an adult ticket purchased, no matter the section (barring maybe the "best" 2 zones).

Back to MTL: they had great attendance the last 2-3 seasons since they started looking good with Kahari.  That wasn't enough to make the team more attractive or viable?  Maybe get rid of the benches and put in real seats to start... And stop firing HCs.
Never go full Rider!