2023 Free Agency Transactions - Other Teams

Started by ModAdmin, February 13, 2023, 05:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: TecnoGenius on February 23, 2023, 04:08:26 AM
Bizarro world.  What is he going to make there?  Surely not as much as starting CFL QB money.

For NFL looks?  Uh, doesn't he realize NFL is watching CFL like a hawk to steal all our best players?  If he was NFL material he would have been snatched up before.  And isn't he one of the oldsters now?  What does the NFL want with that?

Dumb.  He should have retired on top while he had the chance.

Personal family matters are likely more important to him than finishing his career with the Argos.    He will be playing within a two hour drive to be with his wife and daughter.   
Bomber fan for life

GOLDMEMBER

Closer to family makes sense. But to  think he still has a chance at making the NFL it is a pipe dream from Mars. :D
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

M.O.A.B.

He probably consulted his ancestors and that's their advice so I cant fault him.  ;D

Pigskin

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on February 23, 2023, 04:09:55 PM
Closer to family makes sense. But to  think he still has a chance at making the NFL it is a pipe dream from Mars. :D

Agree.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

pjrocksmb

It's nice that he was able to get a lot of reps up here, make some $ and now can enter the next phase of his career.  A good QB that some were too hard on here.  He served up some nice bird last fall.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on February 22, 2023, 08:55:42 PM
Roster bonuses are almost always due in the off-season well before camp. They protect veteran players somewhat from being released right before camp when everyone has already spent their SMS. The idea is that teams commit to at least giving them a chance in TC.

REBUTTAL:

@daneevans9
is under contract to the #Ticats. And because he doesn't have an off season bonus in his contract, there's nothing from preventing the Ticats from keeping him under contract until the day before training camp starts." -
@TSNDaveNaylor

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on February 23, 2023, 06:36:25 PM
REBUTTAL:

@daneevans9
is under contract to the #Ticats. And because he doesn't have an off season bonus in his contract, there's nothing from preventing the Ticats from keeping him under contract until the day before training camp starts." -
@TSNDaveNaylor

Good to know. Although that's not a rebuttal, really. He just doesn't have an off-season bonus. If he did, it wouldn't be days before training camp but sometime just prior to free agency, usually.

the paw

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on February 23, 2023, 07:03:42 PM

Good to know. Although that's not a rebuttal, really. He just doesn't have an off-season bonus. If he did, it wouldn't be days before training camp but sometime just prior to free agency, usually.

For clarity, he has a sizeable "report and pass" bonus.  So, the TiCats can't simply force him to restructure or let this drag on into the season.

At the same time, you are 100% correct that many agents set the off season bonuses for early in the calendar year, prior to start of free agency, in order to force clubs to reveal their hands.  I suspect if Evans agent had wanted a Feb 1 off season bonus, it would have been a lower amount than the report and pass that they got.  You pays your money, you takes your chances...

I am not sure if being on the market earlier would have helped Dane Evans in this particular year.  It might have made him a candidate for the Als, but not likely for the Riders.  As it is, it had delayed things until MBTs intentions crystallized, and left him as the only viable experienced competition for Kelly.  If Dinwiddie means it, then Evans can negotiate a decent contract with the Argos, as they likely have the cap space vacated by MBT.  If he isn't seen as a potential starter by the Argos, then he hasn't really hurt himself in the secondary market as an experienced #2 in Calgary, BC, Regina.
grab grass 'n growl

blue_gold_84

#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on February 23, 2023, 04:02:46 PM
Personal family matters are likely more important to him than finishing his career with the Argos.    He will be playing within a two hour drive to be with his wife and daughter.   

Oh, ya, it's more like retirement with a consulting job taking up a few weeks.  Makes sense.

What I'm hoping is that the announcers in that league will talk up the CFL the GC a lot.  CFL normally would get a tiny mention, but the GC winner aspect should garner quite a few talking points.
Never go full Rider!

3rdand1.5

So MBT gone and Dane to BC....I really don't like T.O's chances now. IMO Kelly is too raw and maybe not even good enough. I just don't get T.O's though process with QB, the rest of the roster looks pretty good, oh well....
I predict they could even fall to 3rd in the East with Kelly

DM83

LOL!  America is a big place. Seemingly a number of Americans  don't know much about Canada, never mind the CFL.  I don't see MBT making much of an impact, especially at his age.  He is much more suited with the Argos.  Tell his wife to move. :)

Blue In BC

Lions sign Lemon. I didn't particularly see that coming but so be it. Overall waiting for some sort of shoe to drop as Lions adjust their roster to meet the SMS. Obviously the real count against SMS starts when final cuts are made. SMS after adding in Dane could require an adjustment somewhere.

Lions currently have 18 or 19 DL listed on their roster. Several vets are in the higher priced SMS level. Someone might break free ( released )?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

the paw

Quote from: Blue In BC on February 26, 2023, 05:16:36 PM
Lions sign Lemon. I didn't particularly see that coming but so be it. Overall waiting for some sort of shoe to drop as Lions adjust their roster to meet the SMS. Obviously the real count against SMS starts when final cuts are made. SMS after adding in Dane could require an adjustment somewhere.

Lions currently have 18 or 19 DL listed on their roster. Several vets are in the higher priced SMS level. Someone might break free ( released )?

I don't think the BC Lions have cap problems.  Vernon Adams was already on a very team-friendly deal, and Evans has renegotiated his contract already, commensurate with a #2 spot.  They also had Burnham retire.  Lucky Whitehead's deal was front loaded I believe, so the hit is less this year than last.  They also let 3 significant players walk in free agency who would have been asking for raises:  Jordan Williams, Butler and Figueroa. 

As far as their DL, they have a surplus of DEs.  In the interior there is really only Fox, Banks, Richardson and DeBaillie, who is Global. 
grab grass 'n growl

Blue In BC

Quote from: the paw on February 26, 2023, 07:13:04 PM
I don't think the BC Lions have cap problems.  Vernon Adams was already on a very team-friendly deal, and Evans has renegotiated his contract already, commensurate with a #2 spot.  They also had Burnham retire.  Lucky Whitehead's deal was front loaded I believe, so the hit is less this year than last.  They also let 3 significant players walk in free agency who would have been asking for raises:  Jordan Williams, Butler and Figueroa. 

As far as their DL, they have a surplus of DEs.  In the interior there is really only Fox, Banks, Richardson and DeBaillie, who is Global. 

Neither Adams or Evans are on anything near an ELC that Rourke and O'Conner were on in 2023.  Richardson spent the entire 2022 season on the 6 game IR taking SMS hit off the books. Somewhat ditto for Baron who spent 12 games on 6 game IR.

I'm not sure where you got that Adams was on a cap friendly deal. IIRC he re-negotiated after Rourke departed based on being the starter not the # 2. Either way, it's not a bottom barrel deal.

Couture, Mike Jones and Lemon didn't come cheap. Many players that were potential free agents were re-signed ( 12 so far ) so that added to SMS. That included players like Chungh and TJ Lee.

They may not have many excess DT's but they'll still have too many extra DL overall for TC IMO.

No teams are over the cap today. Only advance money goes against the SMS at the moment. Not everybody on a given roster will make to or past declaration of final rosters. Some will start the season on 6 game IR.

My point being is that the Lions will have to deal with some of these issues by the end of TC.

2019 Grey Cup Champions