2023 Free Agency Transactions - Other Teams

Started by ModAdmin, February 13, 2023, 05:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theaardvark

Quote from: the paw on February 14, 2023, 10:56:48 PM
Are you sure you aren't thinking of Duke Williams?  I don't see anything about Walker on TiCats twitter feed.

Yup.. I stand corrected...

How about the Lemonator to add to our Dline?
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

kkc60

Quote from: theaardvark on February 15, 2023, 12:38:54 AM

that would be a really good signing if it can be afforded. Keeps Jefferson and Jeffcoat fresh and would mean consistent pressure on the QB, something we didn?t have last year

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on February 15, 2023, 12:38:54 AM

Too old and too expensive I'd think. Team needs to get younger, not older.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

GOLDMEMBER

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

blue_or_die

Quote from: the paw on February 14, 2023, 10:56:48 PM
Are you sure you aren't thinking of Duke Williams?  I don't see anything about Walker on TiCats twitter feed.

Funny, I also constantly get Darrel Walker and Duke Williams mixed up.

Both superstar receivers who got their start catching passes from Reilly in his glory days in EDM (IIRC). I believe once Walker moved on (NFL stint?), Duke slid in and was almost a carbon copy in terms of impact on the big play and it took me a whole season several years ago to realize they were different players. lol.
#Ride?

blue_gold_84

LB Sankey to the XFL, signs with the Arlington Renegades.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

KINGCHARLES

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on February 15, 2023, 04:31:19 PM

Can someone find some solid info on actual wages players are making in the XFL/ USFL. all i can find is minimum contracts of roughly $55,000 with $5,000 bonuses per win. I also read somewhere Brett Hundley was being paid $200,000 to play QB and that was the highest salary in the league.
Yes i also know this in USD so that is more enticing to lure some of our CFL players away.
BEASTS OF THE EAST

I DON'T BRAKE FOR RIDER FANS

the paw

Quote from: KINGCHARLES on February 15, 2023, 04:42:47 PM
Can someone find some solid info on actual wages players are making in the XFL/ USFL. all i can find is minimum contracts of roughly $55,000 with $5,000 bonuses per win. I also read somewhere Brett Hundley was being paid $200,000 to play QB and that was the highest salary in the league.
Yes i also know this in USD so that is more enticing to lure some of our CFL players away.

Article I saw showed 2023 wages as $59k base, plus $5k per gamr, plus $1000 for each game won.

So for a 10 game season on a.500 club, you would earn $114k.  So for Sankey its about the same money for 8 fewer games.  They get free room and board, plus there is the exchange rate to consider.

I don't know if they have a higher rate for QBs
grab grass 'n growl

theaardvark

Great move for Sankey, it will put him on NFL radar a lot better, and he's a guy that can make that jump.  IIRC, his big negative was coverage, not sure that's as big a thing for an NFL LB...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: theaardvark on February 15, 2023, 04:51:46 PM
Great move for Sankey, it will put him on NFL radar a lot better, and he's a guy that can make that jump.  IIRC, his big negative was coverage, not sure that's as big a thing for an NFL LB...

Not sure I'd label it a great move. It could be prudent if he feels he's worth more than any team, the Riders* included, was willing to give him. The XFL just seems like a last resort where there's similar money but also the ability to play football in his home country and being paid in USD.

He's 28 years old and spent the better part of five seasons bouncing around the NFL on practice rosters for as many teams.

He's not on any NFL team's radar, IMO. That ship sailed a while ago.

* SSK reportedly offered him $160K, so the difference in pay with him signing in the XFL could be negligible once the exchange rate, housing, travel costs, etc. are factored into the equation
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: the paw on February 15, 2023, 04:50:17 PM
Article I saw showed 2023 wages as $59k base, plus $5k per gamr, plus $1000 for each game won.

So for a 10 game season on a.500 club, you would earn $114k.  So for Sankey its about the same money for 8 fewer games.  They get free room and board, plus there is the exchange rate to consider.

I don't know if they have a higher rate for QBs

I think those benefits will draw many players who have never played in the CFL before that just want to get paid to play pro football, it's an easier option.  For players who have established themselves in the CFL they may not want to throw away the foothold they've gained by taking a chance on an unknown career choice. If the two leagues thrive and it comes down to a dollar for dollar battle, the CFL could well find itself as the 3rd best option.

bwiser

I think any move the Bombers make now will be a player that the Bombers could get for near the CFL minimum.I would sign Mercy Maston. I am not sure he has fully recovered from his injuries but if he hasn't he could be released in training camp.If he has recovered he would be a steal at the CFL minimum.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: bwiser on February 15, 2023, 05:51:56 PM
I think any move the Bombers make now will be a player that the Bombers could get for near the CFL minimum.I would sign Mercy Maston. I am not sure he has fully recovered from his injuries but if he hasn't he could be released in training camp.If he has recovered he would be a steal at the CFL minimum.
No thanks.  Maston is done. Unfortunate but he is done.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on February 15, 2023, 04:31:19 PM

Crazy.  Have fun playing to stadiums with less fans than TOR Argos.

Sankey was easily good enough to be a mid/top player in the CFL and get paid a good wage.  SSK really liked him, and the fans liked him.

I think he made a dumb decision and will be bringing his tucked-tail back to the CFL in short order; probably when the XFL goes the way of the AAF.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: bwiser on February 15, 2023, 05:51:56 PM

I would sign both Maston and Taylor if no other teams bite and they still want to play.  Give them ELC + 10k each year of service on a 1yr.  If they take that, what do you have to lose?  If they get injured again you 6-game them and lose nothing, roster-wise.

However, I bet if both players are healed they will be thinking they are worth closer to their old salaries and thus might find it hard to find teams willing to take them.  They need to understand they need to prove to the league they will get through a year injury-free.

I kind of hate the way the CFL treats DBs... chews them up and spits them out because they are in vast abundance.  Even though the above can make sense, I doubt we make an offer.  However, they could make great "Denmark" couch-sitters we can dial up if we get too many injuries in-season.
Never go full Rider!