2023 Free Agency Transactions - Other Teams

Started by ModAdmin, February 13, 2023, 05:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on April 27, 2023, 10:46:44 PM
Was he signed and then retired?  Or went un-signed and then retired?  Strange timing.

Ackie was a good player, very tough and hard-nosed and playing on the edge.  He's the one who put the headshot sack on Nichols in the MTL Miracle Game that helped us win.  Without that extra 15 we might not have had enough time for the yards.

He showed up as 5th on the LB's salaries list. $146K-$166K if all things fall into place for performance bonus's. At 31 years old he still had some some very good ability to play.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

the paw

Quote from: Blue In BC on April 28, 2023, 12:50:11 AM
He showed up as 5th on the LB's salaries list. $146K-$166K if all things fall into place for performance bonus's. At 31 years old he still had some some very good ability to play.

He had a very good job offer to make more money in the private sector, and he was at odds with Noel Thorpe, who only used him part-time last year.

https://montrealgazette.com/sports/football/cfl/montreal-alouettes/lucrative-job-offer-friction-with-alouettes-dc-push-chris-ackie-to-retire
grab grass 'n growl

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on April 28, 2023, 12:50:11 AM

Looking over his stats. Ackie had a pretty mediocre career, only reaching 80 tackles on one occasion in 2018, I would say he never played up to his potential.

https://www.cfl.ca/players/chris-ackie-2/161490/

TecnoGenius

Quote from: pjrocksmb on April 28, 2023, 11:42:10 PM
Not a free agent news story but interesting too see the decline in Calgary
https://3downnation.com/2023/04/28/stampeders-expect-fewer-than-15000-season-tickets-sold/

That can be entirely attributed to going from a GC-visit-every-year, never-loses-at-home team to the shoddy embarrassment at the end of BLM's career.  I found CGY fans to be a weird bunch.  They want to go, arrive late, party, drink and eat, and see a guaranteed win.  They really don't like to feel like 2013 WPG fans.  They can't handle the pain.  Which is funny, because their team still hasn't reached the depths of 2013 WPG.

Not to dis CGY fans, as they've always been exceptionally gracious and kind to me and my son the 3 times I've gone to McMahon in recent years.  They're just not happy with losing (maybe Jets fans can teach them?).

It might require them finally building a new stadium to get the excitement and crowds back...
Never go full Rider!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on April 28, 2023, 11:49:50 PM
That can be entirely attributed to going from a GC-visit-every-year, never-loses-at-home team to the shoddy embarrassment at the end of BLM's career.  I found CGY fans to be a weird bunch.  They want to go, arrive late, party, drink and eat, and see a guaranteed win.  They really don't like to feel like 2013 WPG fans.  They can't handle the pain.  Which is funny, because their team still hasn't reached the depths of 2013 WPG.

Not to dis CGY fans, as they've always been exceptionally gracious and kind to me and my son the 3 times I've gone to McMahon in recent years.  They're just not happy with losing (maybe Jets fans can teach them?).

It might require them finally building a new stadium to get the excitement and crowds back...

It's not the fans in the stands that should be questioned, it's the football fans that would rather watch NFL on TV than attend a live CFL game and support their local team that are the problem.  Calgary is just as bad as Vancouver and Toronto for their obsession with the NFL.  They're getting a new NHL arena but not a peep about upgrading the aged McMahon Stadium, it's not politically beneficial to even discuss.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on April 29, 2023, 04:15:46 PM
It's not the fans in the stands that should be questioned, it's the football fans that would rather watch NFL on TV than attend a live CFL game and support their local team that are the problem.  Calgary is just as bad as Vancouver and Toronto for their obsession with the NFL.

I don't know, that doesn't explain why McMahon was usually pretty full, and STH count was pretty high, 5-10 years ago.  Maybe it's also a case of CFL-itis where the senior citizen fans are dying off.  In my late dad's group of football friends this is occurring rapidly.  Maybe CGY fans were as aged as WPG's -- or even more?

Maybe it's all the above.  EDM stands which were once pretty busy were dead last year after the team sucking badly for so long.  Maybe Albertans don't put up with losers.  Problem is, losing usually begets losing, especially when there's no fan support.
Never go full Rider!

ModAdmin

CFL Headlines
@CFL_Headlines
8h
Montreal Alouettes' cornerback Jumal Rolle retires from CFL: All-star cornerback Jumal Rolle has informed the Montreal Alouettes of his intention to retire from the CFL. The 32-year-old was placed on the team?s suspended list when? via @3DownNation
  https://3downnation.com/2023/05/21/mon
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Throw Long Bannatyne

Benevides, good pick up for the Lions.

BC Lions co-general manager/head coach Rick Campbell announced today that due to unexpected family matters, special teams coordinator Don Yanowsky will not be able to continue coaching with the team this season. In addition, the club also announced the return of Mike Benevides as special teams consultant.

?We wish Yano the very best and are thinking about him and his family at this time,? Campbell said.

?We also feel fortunate to add a coach of Mike?s calibre at this time I know he will be able to fit in and contribute right away.?

Benevides returns to the Lions after a 12-year stint from 2003-14 where he served as both special teams and defensive coordinator before being promoted as the club?s 24th head coach for the final three seasons.

Benevides won Grey Cups with the Lions in 2006 and 2011 and would compile a 33-21-0 regular season record as head coach. He later worked as an assistant with both Edmonton and Ottawa.

DM83

How dare they forget his stint on TSN??!!

M.O.A.B.

DE Alex McCallister released by BC. Not sure if there's an interest from the Bombers.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on May 31, 2023, 10:59:26 PM
DE Alex McCallister released by BC. Not sure if there's an interest from the Bombers.

Going for him is we signed him twice. Going against him is we released him twice. I think we would pass.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on May 31, 2023, 10:59:26 PM

I wouldn't mind if they took another look at him, DE is now a position of need, when he tried out before they were already set.

DM83

ModAdmin

Does he have another opportunity to play?

Shawn Lemon
@SLemonator
5h
Next move will be the best move !!
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden