Is the punting job Legghio's to lose?

Started by Lincoln Locomotive, June 02, 2023, 04:33:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Blue and Gold

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on June 05, 2023, 06:58:56 PM
Lol.... I'll just highlight your mental gymnastics below.

Never fails. LOL :D

Looks like it was Liegghio's job to lose. I wonder if another team takes a flyer on him.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on June 05, 2023, 06:58:56 PM
Lol.... I'll just highlight your mental gymnastics below.

No gymnastics.  For 2 simple reasons:

1. I studied the trajectory of the film angles we were provided with and am confident it wasn't a shank (though could have slightly missed).  Unfortunately no one will ever know.  You can believe it would miss, I can believe it would hit.

2. I knew that there was an 82.1% chance Leggs makes that kick, because that is what he did all season, and like I said, he tended to follow his average rather than do well or choke at certain times.  And the distance wasn't one of his "bugbear" distances (like 32Y), yet wasn't much farther than a normal attempt.

I'll take 82.1% odds on a kick from our ELC kicker in a heartbeat.  Doesn't mean I'm not still crossing my fingers to cover that other 18%!!  Two things can be true at the same time.
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on June 05, 2023, 07:25:25 PM
Never fails. LOL :D

Looks like it was Liegghio's job to lose. I wonder if another team takes a flyer on him.

Hamilton re-signed Seth Small as their place kicker but their punter is a 2nd pick in the 1st round global draft in 2022. Don't think he played in 2022 though. Domagala did most of their punting last year.

The global punter could be any where on the spectrum of good to bad.

Only 8 other teams. I've lost count on how many teams employ 2 kickers or which might be having issues either with quality or ratio options.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on June 05, 2023, 06:46:51 PM
Listen, we have had to shelter Legs his whole time here. We would punt rather than ask him to go for a long kick, or go for it on 3rd down when we used to get Medlock to take the points.

Calvillio's average kick attempt last year was 5 yards longer than any other kicker. You can't just look at their percentage and say they were only __% apart from each other.

Yes, we totally sheltered Leggs and totally punted more.  (But so did OTT with Ward for much of his career, especially for the first 2/3rds of his big record.  And Huff & Dickerson almost never trotted out Parades for super long attempts.)  MOS knows what Leggs stats are at each range and he so he kept attempts within Leggs comfort zone.

Since us fans don't have the by-distance stats, we basically have only the basic % stats to go by.  Well that and the "gut" feeling we have on all players, ironically the same "gut" that some people were complaining about before in that other thread.  20 years from now when we're comparing Bomber kickers, all we'll have is the basic % stats.

I'm not even sure what we're arguing anymore.  Leggs was ok and a dual-duty ratio-friendly NAT, and cheap on ELC.  My proposition is that Castillo has to be better "enough" to justify the change.  Stats will have to back up the definition of "better".  I think he can do it, but by no means is this a slam dunk like we just brought in Meddy Redux.  Some are acting like this is an instant guaranteed win.  Counting chickens and all that.
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on June 05, 2023, 09:28:35 PM
Yes, we totally sheltered Leggs and totally punted more.  (But so did OTT with Ward for much of his career, especially for the first 2/3rds of his big record.  And Huff & Dickerson almost never trotted out Parades for super long attempts.)  MOS knows what Leggs stats are at each range and he so he kept attempts within Leggs comfort zone.

Since us fans don't have the by-distance stats, we basically have only the basic % stats to go by.  Well that and the "gut" feeling we have on all players, ironically the same "gut" that some people were complaining about before in that other thread.  20 years from now when we're comparing Bomber kickers, all we'll have is the basic % stats.

I'm not even sure what we're arguing anymore.  Leggs was ok and a dual-duty ratio-friendly NAT, and cheap on ELC.  My proposition is that Castillo has to be better "enough" to justify the change.  Stats will have to back up the definition of "better".  I think he can do it, but by no means is this a slam dunk like we just brought in Meddy Redux.  Some are acting like this is an instant guaranteed win.  Counting chickens and all that.

Ward doesn't have one punt in his career stats. Leone is their punter.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 05, 2023, 09:32:30 PM
Ward doesn't have one punt in his career stats. Leone is their punter.

I'm only talking about Leggs in the place-kicking sense.  Not talking punting at all.  The only mention to punting was that with Leggs MOS had to punt more and FG less because of his range limitations.  But not talking about Leggs (or anyone) punting stats at all.  (I don't think I've even heard one complaint about Leggs punting, which was pretty decent overall, and "free" unlike our new P.)
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on June 05, 2023, 09:35:46 PM
I'm only talking about Leggs in the place-kicking sense.  Not talking punting at all.  The only mention to punting was that with Leggs MOS had to punt more and FG less because of his range limitations.  But not talking about Leggs (or anyone) punting stats at all.  (I don't think I've even heard one complaint about Leggs punting, which was pretty decent overall, and "free" unlike our new P.)

Ok on the shelter part. Many posters including me commented on poor hang time on Leigghio's punts. At times his placement was not the best. His distance was not consistent. If that wasn't true he'd still be here as a National.

Getting back to the comment I made about Hamilton. I don't know anything about their global punter. He may have been making 50 yard punts with great hang time in TC. The TiCats might have some doubt with a rookie so they might look to offer Leggs a PR spot. He might decline anyway.

They do have another global on their PR and he punted 6 times in 2022.

Bombers play TiCats this week so we'll see how good or how shaky their new punter looks.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

pjrocksmb

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 05, 2023, 01:55:49 PM
Makes sense. Most veterans would rather move on than accept that role.

It will be interesting to see if another team decides to pick him up or not. My guess was that it would happen quickly or essentially not at all.
Agree x2

Another possibility is a club loses their kicker or punter or both to injury