2023 Free Agency Transactions - Blue Bombers

Started by ModAdmin, February 13, 2023, 05:14:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: the paw on March 07, 2023, 05:56:58 PM
I don't really care about kick off length, and his net punting results are strong.

The question is about place kicking.  I don't care so much about 55 yd field goals.  I want a guy who is highly accurate at up to 40-42 yards, and at least has a chance up to 50.  You can work within those parameters.  Which is why the converts are so concerning, they seem to indicate an occasional lack of focus.
This is the angle I agree with.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

pjrocksmb

Leggs has got the strength just need time to pull it all together which will be a combo of his physical and mental prep

He will be ok this year is my bet, not great not perfect but pretty darn good.  I also predict plenty of over criticism and panic if he misses a few, especially early.

theaardvark

Leggs seems to have an off game every once in a while.  16 of 20 games last year, he was perfect.

Week 5   3-5
Week 10   1-3
Week 19  1-4
Week 21  1-2

81.8% FG kicking.

Missed 8 of 67 PA attempts. 

88.1% PA attempts.

Will he get better year 3?  All indications point to yes...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

blue_or_die

Quote from: theaardvark on March 09, 2023, 03:30:28 PM
Leggs seems to have an off game every once in a while.  16 of 20 games last year, he was perfect.

Week 5   3-5
Week 10   1-3
Week 19  1-4
Week 21  1-2

81.8% FG kicking.

Missed 8 of 67 PA attempts. 

88.1% PA attempts.

Will he get better year 3?  All indications point to yes...

"Perfect" as in both FGs and converts?
#Ride?

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: blue_or_die on March 09, 2023, 06:28:37 PM
"Perfect" as in both FGs and converts?

Nope. He had 11 (out of 20) games where he was 100% on field goals and extra points.

If you break out the two playoff games separately, he was:

4 for 6 FGs
3 for 6 PAT

His punting average in the Grey Cup was the lowest in all games played in 2022 at 39.1

TecnoGenius

Seriously, just go for 2 on PATs all season long.  Just abandon the Leggs PAT.  If he's missing about half, then the math should be in our favor.  I bet we can get to 60% on 2pt PATs if we really work on it.

Let Leggs concentrate on the "money" 40-55 yd FGs.  If we are at the 20-25 YL on O, just gamble on 3rd down.  Clearly that's Legg's danger zone.
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on March 09, 2023, 07:40:32 PM
Seriously, just go for 2 on PATs all season long.  Just abandon the Leggs PAT.  If he's missing about half, then the math should be in our favor.  I bet we can get to 60% on 2pt PATs if we really work on it.

Let Leggs concentrate on the "money" 40-55 yd FGs.  If we are at the 20-25 YL on O, just gamble on 3rd down.  Clearly that's Legg's danger zone.

He missed 5 of 56 PAT's. Let's stick to the facts and not go into lemming mode.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

pjrocksmb

Quote from: TecnoGenius on March 09, 2023, 07:40:32 PM

Go for 2 all the time hard pass

dd

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on March 09, 2023, 07:20:21 PM
Nope. He had 11 (out of 20) games where he was 100% on field goals and extra points.

If you break out the two playoff games separately, he was:

4 for 6 FGs
3 for 6 PAT

His punting average in the Grey Cup was the lowest in all games played in 2022 at 39.1
thats the legs i remember!! When its playoff time, its time to perform. 67% on FG and 50% on PAT and a 39 yd punt average....that's just plain gross!!

DM83

Just as an aside.
Touch football has the option on converts
I point from the five
2 points from the ten.

Think about it. A de cent team should score on the majority.
With our offense I would live to see us go for two pts

pjrocksmb

Quote from: DM83 on March 12, 2023, 02:53:46 AM
Just as an aside.
Touch football has the option on converts
I point from the five
2 points from the ten.

Think about it. A de cent team should score on the majority.
With our offense I would live to see us go for two pts

It's proven that going for one is a high percentage play, while going for 2 is an option at times, because it's generally a lower percentage option won't see us or majority of teams trying it as much as some would like.

When on occasion going to 2 makes sense because of the point differential, yup go.  Otherwise pass.

Additionally I like teams going to 2 on occasion to practice the plays live or try something new.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Wow, the free agent market turned stone cold dead so quickly, has to be concerning for those left without contracts knowing they are one step away from the end of their football careers.  At this point any offer from one of the new leagues might buy them a year or two extension, but I doubt they ever show up in the CFL again. 

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on March 12, 2023, 03:08:26 PM
Wow, the free agent market turned stone cold dead so quickly, has to be concerning for those left without contracts knowing they are one step away from the end of their football careers.  At this point any offer from one of the new leagues might buy them a year or two extension, but I doubt they ever show up in the CFL again. 

There are about 48 free agents left. Many are long time veterans on the downside of their careers. Free agency is a bit of a 1st come 1st served market place as SMS is spent. As mentioned it may push some of these players towards the USFL or XFL. Others could be taking big pay cuts and role reduction to re-sign in the CFL as TC approaches. Several may be moving past their careers in football.

On one hand it's sad to see some very good players come to the end but rosters are transitional. Good luck going forward for these players that put it on the line.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

the paw

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on March 12, 2023, 03:08:26 PM

I think the "legal tampering" window has made actual free agency much more efficient.  Teams go into free agency basically known which big free agents are leaving and which top ones they have attracted.  Then the dominoes fall pretty quickly as teams move to various positional Plan B's.   A few hard cases hold out to see if they can get their number, but by then the market has re-set and it's time for a chat with Mr. Reality.  I don't blame veterans who set a number and won't play for less, I think everyone has their own sense of what makes it worthwhile.  Nothing wrong with walking away when you feel the time is right.

grab grass 'n growl

TecnoGenius

Quote from: pjrocksmb on March 12, 2023, 03:52:18 AM
It's proven that going for one is a high percentage play, while going for 2 is an option at times, because it's generally a lower percentage option won't see us or majority of teams trying it as much as some would like.

I can't remember what year it was (probably 4-5 ago) that (I think) DT (who was on TSN doing those animations) ran the numbers and said the numbers proved teams should always go for 2.  Around the same time CGY and HAM started going for 2 a whack ton.  The insiders may have talked about it as well, and the booth guys.

It was kind of the buzz for a couple of weeks that year.

If "CFL wide" (i.e. all averages) show going for 2 can make sense, then imagine how those numbers calc out when your kicker misses PATs like I miss the bullseye at darts.  Add in the fact that your O is one of the best in the CFL (especially in red zone) and... should be a no-brainer for our team!!

And CGY was doing it with rarely-misses-PAT Parades!!
Never go full Rider!