2023 Free Agency Transactions - Blue Bombers

Started by ModAdmin, February 13, 2023, 05:14:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pigskin

Leggs, has had two seasons and this winter to reflect and train for 2023 season. Consistency was one of his biggest problems. Leg strength is the other. Two years of development have be put into Leggs, I hope this year is the year he turns the corner.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

dd

Quote from: ModAdmin on February 28, 2023, 06:49:43 PM
CFL Headlines
@CFL_Headlines
1h
Bombers' GM Kyle Walters promises 'legit competition' for kicker Marc Liegghio in training camp: The Winnipeg Blue Bombers plan to have plenty of kickers in training camp following the inconsistent performance of Marc Liegghio during? https://3downnation.com/2023/02/28/bombers-gm-kyle-walters-promises-legit-competition-for-kicker-marc-liegghio-in-training-camp/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
via @3DownNation
Walters firmly understands the situation and will bring players in and address the situation vs stay with the status quo and 'hope' things change. He'll get er done.

theaardvark

At the start of thier careers...

Leggs went from 62.5% to 82.1%

Paredes went from 77.8% to 93%

Kickers get better as time goes by and they learn the pro game.

Doesn't mean he shouldn't be challenged or even replaced.

But he is trending the right way, and no doubt will continue his progress.

Especially if he has someone doing the punting.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

DM83

Ards.... I love you as a fan.

How does a kicker learn the "pro" game?
All he does is a physical act/  1-2-3 kick.

He doesn't get touched, the goal posts don't move.

I don't buy that the fans  scared him by cheering or booing.  I mean its a mechanic, same skill repeated over and over.

He's been doin it since he was ten years old.

BlueGold8597

Quote from: DM83 on March 06, 2023, 07:44:38 PM

I don't buy that the fans  scared him by cheering or booing.  I mean its a mechanic, same skill repeated over and over.

Exactly, the physical part can be mastered. It's the mental part. The pressure of kicking in front of thousands of people with the entire season riding on it. That's what is meant by learning the pro game. Being ready to make the big kick at the right time.

Similar to how in B-Ball people can make free throws in an empty gym or in college but put them in front of a bunch of screaming fans on national TV and suddenly the percentages drop.

theaardvark

You think he was rushed by the same level of player when he was 10?

Punters/kickers do more than just 1 2 3... they have to do it as close to defenders as they can, and still get the kick away. 

Did you watch the game where he sidestepped a rusher who had broken through while he was about to punt?  Same thing happened when he was 10, right?

And the pressure is more than just people making noise...

Every position in football has challenges as you rise up the levels. 

Yikes.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Pete

what it comes down to for a kicker is..Is there a better option than Legghio considering:
1. Free agency didn't have a better kicker available
2. The cfl draft doesn't appear to have a viable option available
3. Do we want to take away an import off the game day roster, that is if a decent kicker is even available, he would have to be significantly better to make this an option. The reason Lirim Hajrullahu is still hanging around the nfl is that there seems to be a shortage ..look at Dallas's Brett Mahers performance in the playoffs.
4. the other option is a global player, but they tend to be mainly punters
Right now Legghio seems to be the best bet.

Jesse

I first picked up a golf club when I was 5, yet I somehow still don't get a hole in one every time.
My wife is amazing!

Sir Blue and Gold

I would definitely give Legghio another year specifically because he's Canadian and the other roster benefits that brings. However, field goals are one thing but he has to make the PATs. Eventually the team dynamic starts to suffer if you can't make those. Professional kicking is mostly mental and some guys have it and some don't. Unfortunately, you can't really know until you try. The reality is Legghio can kick 5000 PATs in practice and it really doesn't matter - it's not the same as a game and it's not the same as a Grey Cup. His evaluation starts week 1. 

Pigskin

Quote from: Jesse on March 07, 2023, 11:47:35 AM
I first picked up a gold club when I was 5, yet I somehow still don't get a hole in one every time.

Agree, kickers are going to miss. No kicker is perfect. Leg strength is the issue for me.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Horseman

Leggs kickoff are not deep, he kicks it to around the 20 and then with a return the other team starts around their 40+ yard line. This gives them good field position right off the bat, if you doubt me watch this year on his KO and mentally note what yard line the other team catches the ball at.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Horseman on March 07, 2023, 02:49:38 PM
Leggs kickoff are not deep, he kicks it to around the 20 and then with a return the other team starts around their 40+ yard line. This gives them good field position right off the bat, if you doubt me watch this year on his KO and mentally note what yard line the other team catches the ball at.

I mean, he kicked a 55-yard field goal last year so it's not like leg strength is a huge issue. His kickoffs are shorter than some but this is a league where you can start on the 40 yard line anyway half the time. Leg strength is certainly not the main concern, I don't think. Net punting/kicking are more important than how far the ball travels in the air.

theaardvark

Quote from: Horseman on March 07, 2023, 02:49:38 PM

Dead middle average in the league, 5th in KO avg yards at 63.9.  4th if you remove Vedvick who had 20 KO's.  Same in punting, dead centre, 5th.  Not the best, not the worst.

Not sure what the "net" averages are, CFL.CA does not list those, maybe Statsjunkie has a source for that info.

MOS is a ST genius, and he doesn't care about statistics.  He wants guys that can execute his gameplan, and if Leggs wasn't doing that. he'd have been replaced.

I think Leggs made a dramatic improvement in his sophomore year, and will continue his improvement.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on March 07, 2023, 03:00:23 PM
I mean, he kicked a 55-yard field goal last year so it's not like leg strength is a huge issue. His kickoffs are shorter than some but this is a league where you can start on the 40 yard line anyway half the time. Leg strength is certainly not the main concern, I don't think. Net punting/kicking are more important than how far the ball travels in the air.

One long FG means nothing, he could have had a 30 km breeze at this back, which I suspect he did as that was the only +50 yd. FG he made.

the paw

I don't really care about kick off length, and his net punting results are strong.

The question is about place kicking.  I don't care so much about 55 yd field goals.  I want a guy who is highly accurate at up to 40-42 yards, and at least has a chance up to 50.  You can work within those parameters.  Which is why the converts are so concerning, they seem to indicate an occasional lack of focus.
grab grass 'n growl