2023 Free Agency Transactions - Blue Bombers

Started by ModAdmin, February 13, 2023, 05:14:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KINGCHARLES

Quote from: 3rdand1.5 on February 14, 2023, 05:08:01 PM
Schoen and Lawler as 1a and 1b, Demski as #3, and a combination of Woli, BOLO, Agadosi, Mc Crea, and a fresh crop of rookies to fill out the #4 through #6 spots....looks good



Man its so exciting that our team has the league leading WR's from the last 2 seasons on the same team. I feel like Schoen, and Lawler are going to be the deeper threat/scramble targets and Demski, Woli, Agudosi and BOLO will be more of the possesion/1st down targets. I completely forgot about McCrae, he was a very surprising and exciting dual threat RB last year, i hope we can fully utilize his potential in our loaded offence.
Craziest thing is I'm fully anticipating Brady O to have a huge breakout year this year and be even more like a young Andrew Harris out of the backfield. Im basically expecting him to improve on his rushing abilities and catching more passes out of the backfield.

Y'all wanna know something kinda mindblowing .... since the 2017 season the Bombers have been the highest scoring or 2nd highest scoring team every season. Theres a couple key factors there. Buck Pierce  and that OL.
BEASTS OF THE EAST

I DON'T BRAKE FOR RIDER FANS

Blue72

I would like for us to bring in Sankey and have the option for a 3/4 or 4/3 defense. If Wilson or Bighill go down we would be ok and if a DT shows up at TC all the better. Briggs or Gauthier we not bad but it made a difference when they were in. Also it could give Bighill a rest during games as age is starting to get up there, BC went 3/4 with Bighill and it worked out pretty good.

Jesse

Quote from: Blue72 on February 15, 2023, 04:26:15 PM
I would like for us to bring in Sankey and have the option for a 3/4 or 4/3 defense. If Wilson or Bighill go down we would be ok and if a DT shows up at TC all the better. Briggs or Gauthier we not bad but it made a difference when they were in. Also it could give Bighill a rest during games as age is starting to get up there, BC went 3/4 with Bighill and it worked out pretty good.

First of all, Sankey is not that good. He racks up a bunch of tackles because the Rider defence was alwayson the field facing the run.

Second, he's not back with the Riders because he undeservedly wants to be the highest paid american LB - he ain't coming back to be behind Bighill (the highest paid american LB).

Third, he signed with the XFL.
My wife is amazing!

blue_gold_84

Sankey reportedly turned down a $160K offer from the Riders. No way he was on the Bombers' radar - for a number of reasons.
#forthew
лава Україні!
What a stupid timeline.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue72 on February 15, 2023, 04:26:15 PM
I would like for us to bring in Sankey and have the option for a 3/4 or 4/3 defense.

Sankey would probably be good here, but our roster plan doesn't allow $$ for high quality LB backups.  If we take an injury there we use our depth (and/or NATs), and can always hit the emergency-panic phones for any couch guys who didn't get any FA offers.

On the plus side, Bighill and his stretch program basically never get injured (at least not to the "sidelined" extent).  I love Biggie, and you gotta hand it to him for being on the most SMS-friendly contract for an all-star LBer.  Truly a team-first guy.  He deserves another ring...
Never go full Rider!

Pigskin

I wonder if the Bombers are looking at a player like Davon Coleman.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Pete

#21
Or Mike Moore , who can also play de.

dd

Quote from: KINGCHARLES on February 15, 2023, 04:17:58 PM
Man its so exciting that our team has the league leading WR's from the last 2 seasons on the same team. I feel like Schoen, and Lawler are going to be the deeper threat/scramble targets and Demski, Woli, Agudosi and BOLO will be more of the possesion/1st down targets. I completely forgot about McCrae, he was a very surprising and exciting dual threat RB last year, i hope we can fully utilize his potential in our loaded offence.
Craziest thing is I'm fully anticipating Brady O to have a huge breakout year this year and be even more like a young Andrew Harris out of the backfield. Im basically expecting him to improve on his rushing abilities and catching more passes out of the backfield.

Y'all wanna know something kinda mindblowing .... since the 2017 season the Bombers have been the highest scoring or 2nd highest scoring team every season. Theres a couple key factors there. Buck Pierce  and that OL.
There's a number of factors that make a good offense-strong recieving corps, great O line, strong running game, decent game plan, but the KEY factor for our offense scoring big points, is the guy under centre. Without Collaros, our offense takes a big hit, he continually makes plays when nothing is there, so ya , kudos to pierce and OL, but without ZC we'd be no where near tops in the league offensively.

Pigskin

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Blue In BC

No rumours of any Bomber acquisitions for depth players?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on February 16, 2023, 07:16:40 PM
No rumours of any Bomber acquisitions for depth players?

We're waiting for the dregs.  We've blown the wad.  The only way we get more FA vets is if they've exhausted all other options and they can have no choice but to accept our lowball offer.

The rest is up to the scouts and some miracle IMP ELCs.  I wonder who they have dialled up?
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

#26
Quote from: TecnoGenius on February 17, 2023, 05:18:38 AM
We're waiting for the dregs.  We've blown the wad.  The only way we get more FA vets is if they've exhausted all other options and they can have no choice but to accept our lowball offer.

The rest is up to the scouts and some miracle IMP ELCs.  I wonder who they have dialled up?

Several points:

1. Teams never spend all their SMS by this time.
2. There is always a contingency left to be able sin players that come available during TC and the season.
3. The SMS is fluid and and will change before and during TC.

I'm not expecting to be looking for or signing a $150K + player but we might find some depth players in the $$85K - #115K. That could result in changes to our DI's for example.

My rough count of remaining free agents is about 65. Many of those are on the wrong side of 33 years old and may be either out of the CFL or too expensive.  Bombers don't need another DB or OL free agent so that really reduces the number falling into any interest. Can't see any DL that would interest us financially.

That said, Deion Adams could be re-signed if there is no or very little signing bonus. I thought he showed enough to get an invite to TC.

I'd think a receiver or LB might be somewhere we might think about but slim groups one way or another. I've always liked M. Awe and he could be an upgrade to Clements.

Could be another 10-15 players committing somewhere today including the spring leagues. So it's close to now or never, bottom of the barrel?



2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

I think the biggest factor in any other additions will be character.  Walters and O'Shea won't be picking up bargain guys that are problem children.  They will possibly take a depth guy with heart that can play ST and wants to contribute any way he can.  They won't be taking on guys that are hot heads or take penalties. 

I think this years draft might have a player or two that make the roster, as well as previous draft picks coming to camp... we pick 8, 15, 26, 35, etc... all our picks this year, albeit 2nd last each round for our success...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on February 17, 2023, 04:23:07 PM
I think the biggest factor in any other additions will be character.  Walters and O'Shea won't be picking up bargain guys that are problem children.  They will possibly take a depth guy with heart that can play ST and wants to contribute any way he can.  They won't be taking on guys that are hot heads or take penalties. 

I think this years draft might have a player or two that make the roster, as well as previous draft picks coming to camp... we pick 8, 15, 26, 35, etc... all our picks this year, albeit 2nd last each round for our success...

I agree but we're not entirely sure what players are like on other rosters. We may see a given talent level but won't always know how they are as team mates. Other players may know that and our management probably know that, so no doubt they make good decisions on that basis.

Each year a few new draft choices make at least the PR. As the roster improves each year, it's more difficult to see where opportunity exists for a new player to push a veteran. IMO it will almost take an injury to see many Canadian rookies immediately make the AR.

No doubt we draft an OL but he'll start on the PR or go back to University for another year. If there is a DE that we draft that shows well there could be a chance to eliminate the need for an import as a DE DI?  Roster size, ratio and positional needs are always a juggling act.

Potential injuries in TC change the odds a bit but there don't look to be many holes to fill.
2019 Grey Cup Champions