Thoughts about CTE

Started by jeremy q public, February 08, 2023, 06:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LXTSN

Quote from: VictorRomano on February 09, 2023, 06:10:32 PM
Guess you're not gonna let your kids play ice hockey either, since the concussion ratio for hockey players is almost triple that for football players (1.2 per 1000 for hockey, .53 per 1000 for football.

https://completeconcussions.com/concussion-research/concussion-rates-what-sport-most-concussions/
It makes sense. Collisions happen at a very high speed with a lot lighter head protection and a harder surface to land on. No surprise there

Throw Long Bannatyne

Guess you're not gonna let your kids play ice hockey either, since the concussion ratio for hockey players is almost triple that for football players (1.2 per 1000 for hockey, .53 per 1000 for football.

https://completeconcussions.com/concussion-research/concussion-rates-what-sport-most-concussions/

Hockey below age 15 is non-contact, yes the occasional concussion happens when a player loses footing and falls into the boards, but that is a rare occurrence.

Jesse

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on February 09, 2023, 06:58:59 PM
Hockey below age 15 is non-contact, yes the occasional concussion happens when a player loses footing and falls into the boards, but that is a rare occurrence.

Remembering that CTE is an accumulated effect of trauma over years and may never be diagnosed as a concussion.
My wife is amazing!

bwiser

The latest study from Boston claims that 92% of NFL ex players had CTE. That is a shocking number.

bryan35

Quote from: blue_or_die on February 09, 2023, 04:57:27 PM
Right, but if the truth is that if something is, in fact, unethical or verifiably "bad", then telling people to just "do you" does nothing to solve it. While the CTE topic is debatable at the moment, once the dust is settled on the science and there's social consensus, telling people it's a choice to allow it is irresponsible and damaging overall.

Just saying "it's my choice to support something verifiably bad" shouldn't be an acceptable or tolerable response. Of course, that extends beyond CTE.

Of course, that extends beyond CTE-  like drinking and eating crappy food yet still condoned.

It's been mentioned that the use of steroids may be a factor with CTE. With huge money involved with football it will be a long time until we get all the facts.

Ducky

Never played competitive football.  Got my sports concussions in 1 - hockey and 2 - soccer.  My bad ones were not sports related (tobogganing and falling off a deck).

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: bwiser on February 09, 2023, 07:55:24 PM
The latest study from Boston claims that 92% of NFL ex players had CTE. That is a shocking number.

Not a true statement. Just googled it and their own researches say that:
QuoteMcKee, a William Fairfield Warren Distinguished Professor, emphasized that the center?s data does not mean that roughly 92 percent of all former and current NFL players have CTE
. Although it's clear that football players have much higher rates of CTE than the general (non-football playing) public, the exact number is unknown. Only those who've died are studied, which means you are sort of looking back in time to a more violent game, and families who thought they had CTE were more willing to donate the brain. There have been tons of technology advancements and rule changes since however it's not something that can be studied in real time.

https://www.bu.edu/articles/2023/bu-finds-cte-in-nearly-92-percent-of-former-nfl-players-studied/

blue_or_die

Quote from: bryan35 on February 09, 2023, 08:07:06 PM
Of course, that extends beyond CTE-  like drinking and eating crappy food yet still condoned.

Fair point but a key difference being that one has noggin knocking in front of spectators for billions. The ones making it available (the league, or Jack Daniels or McDonald?s), the participants (players, drinkers, drive thru enthusiasts (their preferred term)) and most importantly the on-lookers are that third critical stakeholder.

Not on a high horse here btw. Just like y?all I love watching football (and other physical, risky sports). It?s a crossroads sort of discussion and if I?m being honest with myself I absolutely ignore it and want to ignore it.
#Ride?