2023 CFL Combine

Started by ModAdmin, February 08, 2023, 04:41:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModAdmin

First & 10: Combine Update - Ed Tait

....Tis the season for CFL mock drafts and league pundits across the land making their best guesses as to who will go where in the draft. Nobody asked me, but my best guess is the Blue Bombers will focus on the defensive side of the ball in the May 2nd CFL Draft.

A couple of reasons on that: At defensive back, Ford signed a reserve/futures contract with the Green Bay Packers in January and will get a good look down south due to his testing numbers. Two Canadian defensive backs that were on the club last year - Malcolm Thompson and Patrice Rene - were released in December, while Noah Hallett is working back from a second knee injury in as many years.

The Canadian linebacking corps features a pair of solid Canadians in Jesse Briggs (32) and Gauthier (31) returning, along with Tanner Cadwallader (25), while the D-Line has just homegrown tackles Jake Thomas and Cam Lawson....

More on the Combine strategy and upcoming draft below...

https://www.bluebombers.com/2023/03/24/first-10-combine-update/

......and, in the above article, Danny McManus (has indicated) here, the club is still looking to sign 35 players over the next few months.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

M.O.A.B.

Quote from: ModAdmin on March 25, 2023, 04:46:48 AM
First & 10: Combine Update - Ed Tait

....Tis the season for CFL mock drafts and league pundits across the land making their best guesses as to who will go where in the draft. Nobody asked me, but my best guess is the Blue Bombers will focus on the defensive side of the ball in the May 2nd CFL Draft.

A couple of reasons on that: At defensive back, Ford signed a reserve/futures contract with the Green Bay Packers in January and will get a good look down south due to his testing numbers. Two Canadian defensive backs that were on the club last year - Malcolm Thompson and Patrice Rene - were released in December, while Noah Hallett is working back from a second knee injury in as many years.

The Canadian linebacking corps features a pair of solid Canadians in Jesse Briggs (32) and Gauthier (31) returning, along with Tanner Cadwallader (25), while the D-Line has just homegrown tackles Jake Thomas and Cam Lawson....

More on the Combine strategy and upcoming draft below...

https://www.bluebombers.com/2023/03/24/first-10-combine-update/

......and, in the above article, Danny McManus (has indicated) here, the club is still looking to sign 35 players over the next few months.

interesting that they asked Cole Adamson to switch from DL to OL

ModAdmin

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Blue In BC

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on March 25, 2023, 11:12:14 AM

interesting that they asked Cole Adamson to switch from DL to OL

That's interesting but it doesn't mean he couldn't be a 2 way depth player as he continues to develop. Barring injuries in TC he's probably going to be a PR player to start the season. We have 5 Canadian OL and 2 Canadian DT's. So he's just adding to his versatility.

Can he beat out Dobson as the # 5 OL or Lawson as the # 2 DT to win a spot on the AR?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

pjrocksmb

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on March 24, 2023, 11:32:19 PM
I believe you're referring to Geoff Gray, please provide some examples of him being pancaked.
He can't, just likes to over state the negative

ModAdmin

Pigskin

Bemiy, would be a good fit for the Bombers.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

theaardvark

Measurables are one thing, but interviews are the main deciding factor for the draft.  Its one thing to run 4.4 40, its a complete other thing to run it in the right direction, or for the right reason.

The Bombers have been masterful at drafting, and no reason to doubt that won't continue.  We may not draft the top names on the list, but we will probably have the most players actually play in Blue and Gold eventually.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: theaardvark on March 27, 2023, 04:30:03 PM
Measurables are one thing, but interviews are the main deciding factor for the draft.  Its one thing to run 4.4 40, its a complete other thing to run it in the right direction, or for the right reason.

The Bombers have been masterful at drafting, and no reason to doubt that won't continue.  We may not draft the top names on the list, but we will probably have the most players actually play in Blue and Gold eventually.

...what are you talking about?

LXTSN

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on March 27, 2023, 04:54:47 PM
It's true. While running a 4.40 is incredible, it doesn't always translate to the football field. Sometimes, recognizing what the opposition is doing before it happens gives a big head start to make up for a lack of speed.

BlueGold8597

Quote from: LXTSN on March 27, 2023, 07:33:14 PM
It's true. While running a 4.40 is incredible, it doesn't always translate to the football field. Sometimes, recognizing what the opposition is doing before it happens gives a big head start to make up for a lack of speed.

Football generally does not involve running a series of 40 yard dashes in a straight line. In fact players seldom do this. Ability to change directions, to accelerate, and to know where and when to accelerate are equally important. Speed is nice but it doesn't guarantee you'll be any good at football.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: BlueGold8597 on March 27, 2023, 07:41:47 PM
Football generally does not involve running a series of 40 yard dashes in a straight line. In fact players seldom do this. Ability to change directions, to accelerate, and to know where and when to accelerate are equally important. Speed is nice but it doesn't guarantee you'll be any good at football.

Speed matters in football at a lot of positions at the pro level. Tyrell Ford is almost certainly not on a Green Bay Packers roster right now if he didn't run a 4.44 at the CFL Combine. For sure it's not the only metric, but you need to be fast to play the game. That means running and thinking.

LXTSN

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on March 27, 2023, 08:01:51 PM
Speed matters in football at a lot of positions at the pro level. Tyrell Ford is almost certainly not on a Green Bay Packers roster right now if he didn't run a 4.44 at the CFL Combine. For sure it's not the only metric, but you need to be fast to play the game. That means running and thinking.
I would say you're right that the majority of DB's in the league are running between 4.4 and 4.5. Especially when you are looking at the best of the best.
However there are always exceptions. Jamal Peters for example ran a 4.63 and is a 2022 CFL All Star, and Gary Peters ran a 4.59 who was also an All Star.

theaardvark

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on March 27, 2023, 04:54:47 PM

I'm talking about motivation, and about smarts.  There are lots of players with unimpressive 40 times that are "fast" on the field.  Likewise, there are guys that jump off the charts in testing that flame out, or are barely average. 

Most important trait in players in this draft, at least for the Bombers it seems, is heart.  Desire to play the game to your highest level every snap.  The old "stealing snaps in camp" that lands you a roster spot.  The interview that shows a coach that you *need* to play football. 

When your coach is Mike O'Shea, and your GM is Wade Miller (who's measurables in a combine would have been disqualifying at best), you know heart is the only measureable that matters.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

DM83

Nice sentiment not reality but provides hope