2023 CFL Combine

Started by ModAdmin, February 08, 2023, 04:41:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModAdmin

If you are interested in the upcoming CFL Combines, the following link will provide details and rosters for these events beginning March 3, 2023...

https://www.cfl.ca/2023/02/07/rosters-set-cfl-reveals-list-of-combine-participants/
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

ModAdmin

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

theaardvark

OK, they have a Sumo wrestler coming in?

https://www.cfl.ca/2023/03/22/hidetora-hanada-brings-sumo-resume-to-combine/

Most people automatically assume a Sumo wrestler comes in at Oline.  I know I did.

Sounds like this guy is coming in on the other side of the trench, which makes sense for someone entering the game.

DL is chaos, OL is precision.  A big, heavy, fast guy with no experience should try at DT, and maybe with time, go across the line is appropriate.

With Aussie punters, Japanese DT's, and German DE's, maybe this "Global Initiative" is adding something to the game. 

I can see marketing groups starting to make plans if they land a star Japanese DT... no more rolling ball promo's, break out the Sumo suits.  Sushi nite, nothing like raw fish at 30C, maybe not.  But again, bringing a few new fans into the stands who haven't seen someone like this play, to watch someone that shares their heritage is never a bad thing.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on March 23, 2023, 02:19:15 PM

https://www.cfl.ca/2023/03/22/hidetora-hanada-brings-sumo-resume-to-combine/

Most people automatically assume a Sumo wrestler comes in at Oline.  I know I did.

Sounds like this guy is coming in on the other side of the trench, which makes sense for someone entering the game.

DL is chaos, OL is precision.  A big, heavy, fast guy with no experience should try at DT, and maybe with time, go across the line is appropriate.

With Aussie punters, Japanese DT's, and German DE's, maybe this "Global Initiative" is adding something to the game. 

I can see marketing groups starting to make plans if they land a star Japanese DT... no more rolling ball promo's, break out the Sumo suits.  Sushi nite, nothing like raw fish at 30C, maybe not.  But again, bringing a few new fans into the stands who haven't seen someone like this play, to watch someone that shares their heritage is never a bad thing.

Who are these " most people " you reference. And when was there another Sumo wrestler being considered as a CFL candidate?

Another Tin Hat thought!!! :) :)
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on March 23, 2023, 02:19:15 PM

Haha, dude is like 1/3 the weight required for sumo.

However, the sentiment isn't without merit as the traits a good sumo needs are a close match for OL, especially the good balance, foot work and hand work.  Also the sumo defense vs attack modes match pass pro vs run block.

I've always wondered why a hockey team doesn't get a 550 lb sumo (or just any "600 lb Life") guy to play goalie: someone wide enough to just block the whole net just sitting there.  What's the NHL going to do, say "maximum weight applies"?
Never go full Rider!

ModAdmin

theaardvark

Quote from: Blue In BC on March 23, 2023, 06:49:47 PM
Who are these " most people " you reference. And when was there another Sumo wrestler being considered as a CFL candidate?

Another Tin Hat thought!!! :) :)

You are forgetting the 2000 documentary film "The Replacements" with Keanu Reaves which features an egg eating sumo that plays Oline...

Right after that, a retired champion Sumo Wakanohana, came over and unsuccessfully tried to make it as a nose tackle.

Nose tackle, Dline makes most sense for the Sumo skillset, especially the fact they train for foward drive, and most Oline need good lateral mobility...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on March 24, 2023, 01:47:26 AM
Nose tackle, Dline makes most sense for the Sumo skillset, especially the fact they train for foward drive, and most Oline need good lateral mobility...

I forgot about that.  Is that really high up on the requirement chart for OL, though?  I'll have to pay more attention on next rewatch.  I would think balance is the #1 top, overall requirement for OL.  Nothing more embarrassing and useless than a hoggie getting knocked on his butt and the pass rusher pasting the QB.
Never go full Rider!

Pigskin

Would have been nice if the CFL/TSN televised some of the combined. Maybe coverage of the top 5 players at each position.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

ModAdmin

theaardvark

Quote from: TecnoGenius on March 24, 2023, 03:06:47 AM
I forgot about that.  Is that really high up on the requirement chart for OL, though?  I'll have to pay more attention on next rewatch.  I would think balance is the #1 top, overall requirement for OL.  Nothing more embarrassing and useless than a hoggie getting knocked on his butt and the pass rusher pasting the QB.

DE don't go through you, they go around you.  Nose tackles, DT, do more straight on, unless they are in a stunt.  But yeah, its rare an olineman gets "put on rollerskates", but when we watch them get beat it is usually because they didn't stay in front as the D went past...

Jesse

Quote from: theaardvark on March 24, 2023, 04:55:07 PM
DE don't go through you, they go around you.  Nose tackles, DT, do more straight on, unless they are in a stunt.  But yeah, its rare an olineman gets "put on rollerskates", but when we watch them get beat it is usually because they didn't stay in front as the D went past...

You're creating narratives again.
My wife is amazing!

DM83

Roller skates, pancaked...oh are you talking about the Bombers left guard.?

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: DM83 on March 24, 2023, 05:51:00 PM
Roller skates, pancaked...oh are you talking about the Bombers left guard.?

I believe you're referring to Geoff Gray, please provide some examples of him being pancaked.

ModAdmin