(Unofficial) Kenny Lawler signs with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Started by Blue In BC, February 07, 2023, 02:26:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theaardvark

Looking like we saved $135K on Sayles and put it into Lawler... might hurt Schoen's and Demski's numbers, but won't hurt Collaros' numbers...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Pigskin

Quote from: theaardvark on February 09, 2023, 11:01:52 PM
Looking like we saved $135K on Sayles and put it into Lawler... might hurt Schoen's and Demski's numbers, but won't hurt Collaros' numbers...

I would say that the salaries of GE2 and RB88, ($300K). paid for the Lawler signing and the ND10 extension and pay increase.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Pete

i think it was the savings on Couture (190k) that really helped. We did save on sayles as i doubt he was making more than 120k and tthat will depend on how we replace him

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pete on February 09, 2023, 11:38:21 PM
i think it was the savings on Couture (190k) that really helped. We did save on sayles as i doubt he was making more than 120k and tthat will depend on how we replace him

Sayles was on an ELC and that means $64K a season on his 1st contract?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pigskin

The savings on Couture of $190 is nice, what are we paying Eli?
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pigskin on February 10, 2023, 03:17:06 AM
The savings on Couture of $190 is nice, what are we paying Eli?

I bet it was very little.  They might be playing it like he never left in terms of $$ progression.  I would suspect it's close to Dobson, and nowhere near Gray level.  Probably not even Ko-man level.

Then again, we did get him to sign for 3 years??  That might hint that he got a bit more than I am supposing.  Why would you lock yourself in for 3 for peanuts??  Ok, so maybe between Ko-man and Gray level.

Is there any chance we bench Gray for Eli sometime this year??  Or is Eli more of insurance against another big OL departure in Jan 2024??  Neuf might retire and/or I could see others possibly trying to lure$$ Gray away.  Especially if we make the GC again.
Never go full Rider!

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: TecnoGenius on February 10, 2023, 04:43:06 AM
I bet it was very little.  They might be playing it like he never left in terms of $$ progression.  I would suspect it's close to Dobson, and nowhere near Gray level.  Probably not even Ko-man level.

Then again, we did get him to sign for 3 years??  That might hint that he got a bit more than I am supposing.  Why would you lock yourself in for 3 for peanuts??  Ok, so maybe between Ko-man and Gray level.

Is there any chance we bench Gray for Eli sometime this year??  Or is Eli more of insurance against another big OL departure in Jan 2024??  Neuf might retire and/or I could see others possibly trying to lure$$ Gray away.  Especially if we make the GC again.

If Couture is at $190,000 then I would guess Eli is at $145,000 or so and probably has guaranteed escalators over the final two years.

theaardvark

I see Eli as 6th/7th man, and important in the Jumbo team and ST's.  He can slot in at any interior spot, with Gray/Neufeld bumping out if an OT goes down.  Knowing we couldn't sign all our Oline, I think the choice of Eli over Couture makes a huge amount of sense.  If (knock on wood) we lose Neufeld to injury or retirement, Dobson or Eli is there to take over.

Losing Couture, we are still 7 deep at starting NAT Oline...

Have to wonder what Oline SSK is bringing in... other than someone off our PR, that is...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.