Blue Bombers re-sign defensive back Alden Darby

Started by ModAdmin, February 05, 2023, 03:22:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModAdmin

Blue Bombers re-sign defensive back Alden Darby

WINNIPEG, MB., February 5, 2023 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has agreed to terms with American defensive back Alden Darby, Jr. on a one-year contract extension.

He was scheduled to become a free agent on February 14th.

Darby, Jr. (5-11, 194, Arizona State; born: June 22, 1992, in Long Beach, CA) returns in 2023 for what will be his third stint with the Blue Bombers.
Darby Jr. is a veteran of 66 regular season games in the CFL, including 43 with the Toronto Argonauts, 10 with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats and 13 and counting with the Blue Bombers.

Winnipeg has twice traded for Darby, Jr. in two years, most recently acquiring him from the Tiger-Cats at the trade deadline last October. He was first acquired by the Bombers in a trade with Toronto in July of 2021 and found a place in the Blue Bombers starting defence while being named a West Division All-Star that year.

He had 34 tackles, one tackle for a loss and a pass knockdown in nine regular season starts in 2021, before adding two tackles and a sack in the Western Final win over Saskatchewan and six tackles, a pass knockdown and an interception in the Grey Cup victory over Hamilton.

Darby, Jr. made two regular season starts for the Blue Bombers last year after the trade and had six tackles before adding four more tackles and a sack in the playoff run.
Darby, Jr. first signed with the Argos in July of 2017 and appeared in 43 games over three years with Toronto, finishing with 137 tackles, one sack and eight interceptions. He was a member of the 2017 Grey Cup champion Argonauts, although he was on the injured list and did not play in the game.

Darby, Jr. played his college ball at Arizona State and had 10 interceptions during his days with the Sun Devils. He signed as an undrafted free agent with the San Diego Chargers in 2014 and had NFL looks with the Pittsburgh Steelers, New Orleans Saints and Indianapolis Colts.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Jesse

My wife is amazing!

theaardvark

OK, other than Demski, I think we're pretty solid... any other re-signings will be nice, but not game changing...

Can we vote Walters "Executive of the year" this early?
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

GOLDMEMBER

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Blue In BC

Darby is a great player and an excellent re-signing. Solves that problem of determining our SAM.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Go Big Blue

Good signing, we now have 12 FA signed with 11 FA remaining. Still have until Valentines Day to sign some additional Nationals including Demski. Bailey and Global Les Mauro would also be nice to see back in Blue & Gold. Get this done Kyle and the rest you can sign is gravy. Looking pretty good for key players returning to the team and we should also have good depth with the signed new players that make the team or end up on the Practice Roster. Looks like the scouting staff have been busy since the 2022 Grey Cup.

Go Big Blue
The "Selkirk Milkman" Cec Luning's "Moo Cow" Cream Play of the 107th Grey Cup - #3 Thiadric Hansen: One hit takes out two Tiger Cats.

Pigskin

Another good signing. 2 years would have been better. Keep them coming. Bailey, Sayles, Demski.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

the paw

Quote from: Pigskin on February 05, 2023, 05:08:27 PM
Another good signing. 2 years would have been better. Keep them coming. Bailey, Sayles, Demski.

I have a gut feeling Bailey won't be back.  And while I think Sayles should be a key retain, historically Walters does not spend a ton on his American DT, preferring to cycle new guys in rather than splash the cash.

But I'm still crossing my fingers that Demski is simply leveraging his best deal, and that it will come together mid-week.
grab grass 'n growl

Pigskin

I remember a lot the same panic over MOS. About 9 days left before FA. We only have 3 or 4 key players left to sign.

Negotiation window is now open. If any of our players get offers, we will have 48 hours to examine those offers and then negotiated with that player. 

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: the paw on February 05, 2023, 05:55:00 PM
I have a gut feeling Bailey won't be back.  And while I think Sayles should be a key retain, historically Walters does not spend a ton on his American DT, preferring to cycle new guys in rather than splash the cash.

But I'm still crossing my fingers that Demski is simply leveraging his best deal, and that it will come together mid-week.

Demski will be the big name signing announced at the most appropritate time for season tickets sales, not concerned at all and don't expect Walters to screw it up. 

Regarding finding a DT beast with great push, they had a solid run with Nevis, Poop and Richardson, but before that it was  a problem area for quite a long time, although they had a few good but not great ones like Bryant Turner.  I think Sayles fits in the same category.

Pigskin

The Darby signing could spell the end on Matson, and maybe Taylor. Love to have Taylor back. But that probably depends on $$.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pigskin on February 05, 2023, 07:03:16 PM
The Darby signing could spell the end on Matson, and maybe Taylor. Love to have Taylor back. But that probably depends on $$.

Honestly not sure that Taylor would be ready to attend TC in the early going. Potentially he could be added after the season starts if he's needed then.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Lincoln Locomotive

Great to have him back at SAM!!   Woot woot!!
Bomber fan for life

TecnoGenius

Yes, unless Maston is willing to stay on as backup SAM / ST or even PR... Unless Maston can play DB...

I'm really hopeful for Taylor.  Might not being available for TC work in his favor?  If it leads WFC to give him the benefit of the doubt?

Awesome signing to get Darby, what a great day of announcements!  I'm glad a) WFC realized Darby is worth trying to keep, and b) Darby realized the grass ain't greener on the other teams.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on February 05, 2023, 04:05:07 PM
Darby is a great player and an excellent re-signing. Solves that problem of determining our SAM.

Ya, the easy problem taken care of.   ;) ;) ;) ;)
Never go full Rider!

Sir Blue and Gold

Ha - we finally got Darby to stay! Glad we could sign him this time around.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on February 06, 2023, 08:08:51 AM
Yes, unless Maston is willing to stay on as backup SAM / ST or even PR... Unless Maston can play DB...

I'm really hopeful for Taylor.  Might not being available for TC work in his favor?  If it leads WFC to give him the benefit of the doubt?

Awesome signing to get Darby, what a great day of announcements!  I'm glad a) WFC realized Darby is worth trying to keep, and b) Darby realized the grass ain't greener on the other teams.

Unfortunately DB's are now the pawns of the CFL, no big paydays or much fan recognition comes your way if you play DB, dime a dozen now applies to that positional group, cheap and plentiful.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on February 06, 2023, 12:45:54 PM
Ha - we finally got Darby to stay! Glad we could sign him this time around.

He knows he's got it good here. Great signing!
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

bwiser

Considering that Matson is coming back from serious injuries two seasons in a row I have to think he is a longshot to make the team. I really liked his play in 2019 when the Bombers went on their cup run but it might be too much to expect him to return to that form. Taylor is also a bit of a longshot to make the team as well considering he is 34 years old and coming off a serious injury.