2023 CFL draft

Started by Pigskin, February 01, 2023, 05:40:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjrocksmb

Don't need to draft a kicker we have a decent one already

kkc60

Quote from: pjrocksmb on February 24, 2023, 10:56:40 PM
Don't need to draft a kicker we have a decent one already
absolutely no reason to not take a kicker. there are 8 rounds in the draft. kickers usually don?t go until the 3rd round or later. by that point it should be bpa. none of these draft picks will be day one starters but instead be developmental pieces or competition for depth roles. we don?t ?need? a LB, OL, Safety, Receiver or RB either, if having an experienced player means we don?t need to draft one. So should we take all corners, DL and fullbacks?

dd

We d be fools not to draft a kicker in the later rounds. I have zero confidence in the one we have, zero. And I know I?m not alone on this.

Pete

No use in drafting a kicker just for the sake of saying we did. I doubt if taking a kicker in the later rounds is going to provide any competition for Legghio

Blue In BC

Quote from: dd on February 25, 2023, 11:03:43 PM
We d be fools not to draft a kicker in the later rounds. I have zero confidence in the one we have, zero. And I know I?m not alone on this.

Your position is clear. But I think overall you are in the minority. Doesn't make you either wrong or right, but nevertheless, the minority.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

pjrocksmb

Quote from: dd on February 25, 2023, 11:03:43 PM
You have zero confidence (not we).
Quote from: Blue In BC on February 26, 2023, 12:15:58 AM
Your position is clear. But I think overall you are in the minority. Doesn't make you either wrong or right, but nevertheless, the minority.
Yup

TecnoGenius

I have confidence in Leggs.  Ever since the LDC.  I have confidence he'll do at least slightly better than last season.  And that's all I really expect.  As long as he keeps trending up, we'll be ok.  Our O has and will morph into more of a scoring O than a just-get-the-FG-with-Meddy O.

We should have considered that final GC O series 3-down territory until we made the 20.  If we had had that mindset we could have run BO20 2 more times instead of that failed quick pass to Demski on 2nd and 5.

That's just the way it'll have to be as we let Leggs improve.  Keep in mind Leggs could easily be as good as Lirim H-lots-of-letters in a few years.
Never go full Rider!

pjrocksmb

Quote from: TecnoGenius on February 26, 2023, 01:19:17 AM
I have confidence in Leggs.  Ever since the LDC.  I have confidence he'll do at least slightly better than last season.  And that's all I really expect.  As long as he keeps trending up, we'll be ok.  Our O has and will morph into more of a scoring O than a just-get-the-FG-with-Meddy O.

We should have considered that final GC O series 3-down territory until we made the 20.  If we had had that mindset we could have run BO20 2 more times instead of that failed quick pass to Demski on 2nd and 5.

That's just the way it'll have to be as we let Leggs improve.  Keep in mind Leggs could easily be as good as Lirim H-lots-of-letters in a few years.

Agreed

TBURGESS

Leggs

Stats:

7th best FG kicker by %, .1 yard better than 8th.

1 FG >= 50 yards, tied with 2 other kickers for 8th.

Missed 5 Converts, worst in the league.

Game Winning FG's 2, Ott/Skn

Game Losing misses 2, Mtl/Tor in the freakin GC.

Ya Buts:

We didn't need him to win most games.

He punted well.

He's not the only reason we lost.
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

ModAdmin

Liegghio doesn't get a free pass onto the team in 2023 and I'm sure he gets that.  We need to bring in some competition and it is not good enough to say Liegghio "will be okay".  I hope he does well this season and I hope he can improve on his performance but let's not get complacent thinking the job is his without looking at anyone else.  His stats are not acceptable right now.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Pigskin

He is a good punter. His kickoffs are short compared to most kickers. The 5 missed converts needs to improve. The missed FG against Montreal was flat out a terrible kick. The blocked FG in the GC, looked like the OL didn't block well enough. He does need to improve his leg strength. I like the fact that he is physical and can make the odd tackle when required.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Blue In BC

Quote from: ModAdmin on February 26, 2023, 04:39:29 PM
Liegghio doesn't get a free pass onto the team in 2023 and I'm sure he gets that.  We need to bring in some competition and it is not good enough to say Liegghio "will be okay".  I hope he does well this season and I hope he can improve on his performance but let's not get complacent thinking the job is his without looking at anyone else.  His stats are not acceptable right now.

I don't think anybody thinks he gets a free pass but finding a qualified kicker is not easy. Add in the ratio and roster size elements are part of the equation. By all means bring in competition. OTOH it's not unreasonable to think a player can progress at ANY position.

I'm still in the camp that suggests looking for a global kicker to compete. It's less of a ratio issue potentially whether we have two kickers on the AR or one. Obviously we drafted several globals but none of those showed up in 2022.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Quote from: Blue In BC on February 26, 2023, 05:13:25 PM
I don't think anybody thinks he gets a free pass but finding a qualified kicker is not easy. Add in the ratio and roster size elements are part of the equation. By all means bring in competition. OTOH it's not unreasonable to think a player can progress at ANY position.

I'm still in the camp that suggests looking for a global kicker to compete. It's less of a ratio issue potentially whether we have two kickers on the AR or one. Obviously we drafted several globals but none of those showed up in 2022.

IF we didn't have Hansen and Mauro taking up our GLB positions, and we could use one of those for a GLB kicker (P or K), then you are correct.  But those two are covering what normally would be DI spots, so having a P as a DI makes more sense than a GLB, unless you either find a way to reclassify Hansen, or cut Mauro. 

Last year, before Hansen came back, getting a GLB P was the plan, they just never showed up.  Now, if we are having separate p and K, a DI makes sense.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

pjrocksmb

Quote from: Blue In BC on February 26, 2023, 05:13:25 PM

Great points man.  Yup bring in an American.
Quote from: ModAdmin on February 26, 2023, 04:39:29 PM
I'm willing to say Leggs will be ok.  He will continue to grow, continue to have a few struggles but will show because he can do both job reasonably well, he is a good asset to this club.  Competition will both push him and perhaps he might learn a thing or two from them.  I'm looking to him to be our kicker for a decade if he can pull it allp together this year not worried about a few bumps along the way.

I don't think anyone is suggesting a free pass for him or anyone for that matter.  Gotta come to camp in shape and earn your spot. 

His stats overall are reasonable considering he is doing all the kicking.  Yes there are aspects of his game that need work but there are also other areas where he is already good.  I believe you are slightly overstating the negative here.  I'm likely being slightly optimistic lol.

Quote from: Pigskin on February 26, 2023, 05:11:54 PM
He is a good punter. His kickoffs are short compared to most kickers. The 5 missed converts needs to improve. The missed FG against Montreal was flat out a terrible kick. The blocked FG in the GC, looked like the OL didn't block well enough. He does need to improve his leg strength. I like the fact that he is physical and can make the odd tackle when required.
Good points, agree all.  A good punter with a strong leg with the right passport is gold.  If he can straighten out a few FGs and singles he will be a solid part of this organization for years to come. 

dd

Quote from: TBURGESS on February 26, 2023, 02:05:40 PM
Leggs

Stats:

7th best FG kicker by %, .1 yard better than 8th.

1 FG >= 50 yards, tied with 2 other kickers for 8th.

Missed 5 Converts, worst in the league.

Game Winning FG's 2, Ott/Skn

Game Losing misses 2, Mtl/Tor in the freakin GC.

Ya Buts:

We didn't need him to win most games.

He punted well.

He's not the only reason we lost.
Thanks for bringing some FACTS to this discussion.

Missed most converts in the league and is 7th best kicker statistically in a 9 team league. Yup, he?s a keeper all right!! What a complete joke. Good thing we signed Lawler and have the leagues best receiving corps as our offense will cover up for our pathetic kicking game.