2023 CFL draft

Started by Pigskin, February 01, 2023, 05:40:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pigskin

Again this year the Bombers will be selecting late in most of the rounds. Picks 8/15/26/35/53/62/and 71.

Edmonton and Ottawa should be able to load up on some good players.

Ottawa: Picks 1/10/17/19/25/37 in the first 5 rounds.

Edmonton: Picks 2/12/18/20/23/28/38 also in the first 5 rounds.

Edmonton and Calgary both will forfeit there 2nd. round picks. 
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pigskin on February 01, 2023, 05:40:29 PM
Edmonton and Calgary both will forfeit there 2nd. round picks

Why?
Never go full Rider!

CrazyCanuck89

Quote from: TecnoGenius on February 03, 2023, 07:04:16 AM
Why?

Supplemental draft.  Pelley and Ryham.

Pigskin

Pigskin

A couple of pretty good DLs could be available at #8. 

theaardvark

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

CrazyCanuck89

pjrocksmb

What's are our needs to address in the draft? Or do we just take best available?

I always like drafting prospects for the OL

Blue In BC

Quote from: pjrocksmb on February 04, 2023, 04:33:12 PM
What's are our needs to address in the draft? Or do we just take best available?

Always an interesting question. The draft is after free agency. So we'll know who we lost and / or who we gained.

Based on our current roster I'd think we'd want to look for choices on the DL with a DE type in particular for our 1st choice. After that we probably go with best available. Some players will return to college for a final season so we can consider succession planning for 2024. LB/DB and OL are always important to have in the pipeline.

Realistically not many players drafted in 2023 will initially make anything more than the PR barring injury. A few 2022 draft choices might be fighting for 1 -3 more time on the AR.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Quote from: Blue In BC on February 04, 2023, 04:43:21 PM
Always an interesting question. The draft is after free agency. So we'll know who we lose and / or who we gain.

Based on our current roster I'd think we'd want to look for choices on the DL with a DE type in particular for our 1st choice. After that we probably go with best available. Some players will return to college for a final season so we can consider succession planning for 2024. LB/DB and OL are always important to have in the pipeline.

Realistically not many players drafted in 2023 will initially make anything more than the PR barring injury. A few 2022 draft choices might be fighting for 1 -3 more time on the AR.

Never a bad thing to look at deficiencies, but best player on the board is so much better.  And "best player" is not just most talented, but one that also fits your dynamic best. 

I have no doubt we will take a variety of spots, one OL at least, one DL at least, but I can see taking Rec's, DB's and LBs as well, in no particular order except taking O'Shea type guys.  Raw talent and measureables are one thing, but heart is more important in the Bomber culture. 
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Jesse

It?s always best player available.

The hard part is addressing ?best? across position groups. I certainly think we need more OL in the pipeline though.
My wife is amazing!

Pigskin

Unless we can resign Kongbo, I am sticking with DL. JT95 is getting up there. Lawson, looked good early but faded late in the season. Adamson has great size and could be the answer?? There are also a couple of good LBs in the draft. 

blueandgoldguy

I don't mind the Bombers drafting late in each round.  Early first round picks don't necessarily pan out any better than late first round picks..or picks made in other early rounds for that matter.  Trying to keep as many picks as possible is the key imo.

CrazyCanuck89

Quote from: pjrocksmb on February 04, 2023, 04:33:12 PM

You guys could use a Canadian defensive end.  Many teams now are using Canadian defensive ends in their rotation.  You guys haven't had one since Kongbo.

It could be Thomas's last year, you already have his replacement in #99 and Adamson will be in camp.  It wouldn't hurt to have another DT on the practice roster.

Ford leaving hurts.  In his one start, he showed he can be a Cornerback in this league.  Maybe look at the kid from Guleph, who is 6'3.

Jesse

Quote from: CrazyCanuck89 on February 07, 2023, 02:20:05 PM
You guys could use a Canadian defensive end.  Many teams now are using Canadian defensive ends in their rotation.  You guys haven't had one since Kongbo.

It could be Thomas's last year, you already have his replacement in #99 and Adamson will be in camp.  It wouldn't hurt to have another DT on the practice roster.

Ford leaving hurts.  In his one start, he showed he can be a Cornerback in this league.  Maybe look at the kid from Guleph, who is 6'3.

I expect Ford back at some point, but a DE would be nice to have.
My wife is amazing!