Blue Bombers re-sign linebacker Shayne Gauthier

Started by ModAdmin, January 25, 2023, 03:09:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theaardvark

He is a solid contributor and a beast on teams.  His game/season saving tackle was epic. 

Its guys like this that make the backbone of an O'Shea team, sure, we see the highlight reels of the stars, but it's guys like these that are the spirit of the lockerroom and sidelines, and give the 110% that O'Shea demands...

Great signing.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on January 27, 2023, 01:44:14 PM
Briggs did play at MLB more in 2021 but in 2022 we saw Gauthier more. Like I said, look at the DT's for both in both seasons. Briggs did get reps on defence but it seemed Gauthier was used more as the rotation player.

If you look at the depth chart, Gauthier was shown as the back up at MLB in the Grey Cup. In other games he was shown as the starter when Wilson was out. In some of those games Maruo was shown as back up at MLB.

While depth charts are not always correct, I think that did indicate Briggs fell more to 3rd man and not 2nd man up in 2022 more often than not in reality.

He's still a veteran voice on defence even if he's spending more time on the bench. I'm not saying he should be cut but it could go either way as new blood is added.

Gauthier is quite a bit heavier than Briggs, I think they use him more on downs when run stopping is important, Briggs is more mobile and better used on throwing downs.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on January 27, 2023, 04:50:22 PM
Gauthier is quite a bit heavier than Briggs, I think they use him more on downs when run stopping is important, Briggs is more mobile and better used on throwing downs.

On throwing downs we'd use an extra DB or Bighill would stay on the field. Bighill is very good in coverage and at time even drops into a near spot at safety.

While it's true that Briggs might be better in coverage than Gauthier, how often would we use him in that role?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on January 27, 2023, 05:10:39 PM
On throwing downs we'd use an extra DB or Bighill would stay on the field. Bighill is very good in coverage and at time even drops into a near spot at safety.

While it's true that Briggs might be better in coverage than Gauthier, how often would we use him in that role?

Sorry, I meant to say on downs when Bighill isn't on the field.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on January 27, 2023, 06:14:03 PM
Sorry, I meant to say on downs when Bighill isn't on the field.

That was my point. I wouldn't expect Bighill to be off the field on throwing downs. I'd expect an interior DL to come off and an extra DB  come on. On running downs we might see Gauthier added and a DL possibly coming off in order to show more of a 34 defence at times.

Briggs missed 6 games and only had 3 DT's. Gauthier had 28 DT's and Maruo had 14.  I know Gauthier started several games at WIL but Briggs didn't start any.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on January 27, 2023, 09:13:50 PM
Briggs missed 6 games and only had 3 DT's. Gauthier had 28 DT's and Maruo had 14.  I know Gauthier started several games at WIL but Briggs didn't start any.

Didn't Briggs get his bell rung, and that's why he was out?  Hazy memory.  I didn't realize Briggs was used so little in '22 on D compared to '21.  Does Gauthier have the "football IQ" to be the D-controlling MIKE in place of Biggie?

I must admit that Biggie kind of let me down in the GC.  Both Oullette TD runs, and the game-winning 19 yard Kelly run were things that Biggie should have been sniffing out.  Even if he wasn't going to be the tackler, he should have been directing others to those areas.  I think the 2nd Oullette run Biggie had a chance to make the stop but whiffed.  Granted, not many are making that all-alone open-field tackle, but it's disappointing nonetheless.  We had great difficulty on the outside runs (our achilles heel?).  Hall takes some of the blame, too.  We'll never know exactly how much to blame Hall vs Biggie.

Still, no one I'd rather have than Biggie, but heeds to control things a bit better.  And we don't have a succession plan in place at MIKE.  If Biggie gets injured or retires, we're in FA hell and might be looking at a Hurl-esque scenario.  Luckily, I bet Biggie will give plenty of notice before retiring so as to not leave us in the lurch.
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on January 28, 2023, 05:02:16 AM
Didn't Briggs get his bell rung, and that's why he was out?  Hazy memory.  I didn't realize Briggs was used so little in '22 on D compared to '21.  Does Gauthier have the "football IQ" to be the D-controlling MIKE in place of Biggie?

I must admit that Biggie kind of let me down in the GC.  Both Oullette TD runs, and the game-winning 19 yard Kelly run were things that Biggie should have been sniffing out.  Even if he wasn't going to be the tackler, he should have been directing others to those areas.  I think the 2nd Oullette run Biggie had a chance to make the stop but whiffed.  Granted, not many are making that all-alone open-field tackle, but it's disappointing nonetheless.  We had great difficulty on the outside runs (our achilles heel?).  Hall takes some of the blame, too.  We'll never know exactly how much to blame Hall vs Biggie.

Still, no one I'd rather have than Biggie, but heeds to control things a bit better.  And we don't have a succession plan in place at MIKE.  If Biggie gets injured or retires, we're in FA hell and might be looking at a Hurl-esque scenario.  Luckily, I bet Biggie will give plenty of notice before retiring so as to not leave us in the lurch.

I wouldn't want to see Gauthier as any longer term replacement for Bighill due to injury. My expectation was that Wilson would take on that role and we move someone into his WIL position. His injury threw that out the window and Bighill survived the season without any serious injury.

That said, I think Bighill did have a lingering injury which limited him in several games.

In the end I was disappointed in the import depth with Cole and Cooper. What I couldn't understand is why Clements wasn't the immediate 1st choice to replace the starter at either WIL or MLB. He didn't have a horrible season but we choose going Canadian at times. Clements also missed 6 games.

Can't really complain about the overall results with the win / loss record and a defence giving up lowest points total. It just seemed odd to me. Musical chairs and everybody was used at times.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

pjrocksmb

I personally really like how everyone on our D or at least most get reps.  I think that's the backbone of our strengthon defense, Hall's mixes up his schemes and vets stay fresh.  Need a few young fresh faces on D this year to continue our dominace and to slowly replace some of our vets.  We will really feel it when Biggie retires.  Wilson will help.  Can't wait for preseason to evaluate our future.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on January 28, 2023, 02:01:27 PM
I wouldn't want to see Gauthier as any longer term replacement for Bighill due to injury. My expectation was that Wilson would take on that role and we move someone into his WIL position. His injury threw that out the window and Bighill survived the season without any serious injury.

I've seen no hints Wilson was the placeholder for MIKE.  I don't think he's played even one snap in the middle?  Something you remember that I don't?  He also never gets depth-charted there.  He's too small for MIKE.

I've also seen no indication that Wilson can be the brains of the D.  Wilson is great, but at his assigned role, no?

I'm not sure what the backup plan ever was the last 2+ years.  In any case, we bet on Biggie playing every game, and he pretty much has.  All that flexibility training does wonders!
Never go full Rider!

ModAdmin

Quote from: TecnoGenius on January 29, 2023, 04:50:26 AM
I've seen no hints Wilson was the placeholder for MIKE.  I don't think he's played even one snap in the middle?  Something you remember that I don't?  He also never gets depth-charted there.  He's too small for MIKE.

I've also seen no indication that Wilson can be the brains of the D.  Wilson is great, but at his assigned role, no?

I'm not sure what the backup plan ever was the last 2+ years.  In any case, we bet on Biggie playing every game, and he pretty much has.  All that flexibility training does wonders!

In 2019 Wilson primarily was at the weak-side linebacker spot, but also in the middle when Adam Bighill missed time earlier in the year.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Pigskin

Quote from: ModAdmin on January 29, 2023, 06:17:17 AM
In 2019 Wilson primarily at the weak-side linebacker spot, but also in the middle when Adam Bighill missed time earlier in the year.

Also Wilson is 6'1", 221, and Bighill is 5'10", 223. So i would say big enough to play MIKE.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pigskin on January 29, 2023, 06:41:59 AM
Also Wilson is 6'1", 221, and Bighill is 5'10", 223. So i would say big enough to play MIKE.

He looks smaller out there!  He looks more like a SAM to me compared to, say, Ian Wild who looked beefier.  How is it that Wilson is so honkin' fast then??  Wow.  I'm even more impressed.  I guess that also explains Wilson's great run-stopping: He's like Mr. Hidden Beef.

I forgot Biggie missed some '19 games.  Guess I need to go rewatch early 2019 too!  Not a big ask, it's far and away my fave Bomber season ever.

I started rewatching 2022 the other night, want to focus on Schoen.  I'm in the pre-season game at the mo, and I can see why we kept McCrae and promoted Brown.  Darn shame we didn't have a place for Borsa as 3rd NAT RB.  That kid showed some promise.  As a Regina boy you'd think SSK would take a sniff...
Never go full Rider!

Jesse

Quote from: TecnoGenius on January 29, 2023, 10:19:03 AM
He looks smaller out there!  He looks more like a SAM to me compared to, say, Ian Wild who looked beefier.  How is it that Wilson is so honkin' fast then??  Wow.  I'm even more impressed.  I guess that also explains Wilson's great run-stopping: He's like Mr. Hidden Beef.

I forgot Biggie missed some '19 games.  Guess I need to go rewatch early 2019 too!  Not a big ask, it's far and away my fave Bomber season ever.

I started rewatching 2022 the other night, want to focus on Schoen.  I'm in the pre-season game at the mo, and I can see why we kept McCrae and promoted Brown.  Darn shame we didn't have a place for Borsa as 3rd NAT RB.  That kid showed some promise.  As a Regina boy you'd think SSK would take a sniff...

Lol, Ian Wild would have been the smallest MLB in the league. Definitely never looked beefier than Wilson.
My wife is amazing!

Blue In BC

Quote from: Jesse on January 29, 2023, 01:55:07 PM
Lol, Ian Wild would have been the smallest MLB in the league. Definitely never looked beefier than Wilson.

He was 6'1" 220 lbs and he did in fact play MLB at times for the Bombers. In fact was almost the identical size as Wilson who is same height but 1 lb heavier.

I wonder if the Bombers have any interest in one or both of the Herman-Reed brothers as local kids. Seem to have some upside.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pigskin

So at the end of the day, Mr. Wilson has played MLB in the past, and in fact is big enough to play there. My concern with Mr. Wilson is him staying healthy. He just hasn't play that much in the past to seasons.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.