Blue Bombers re-sign Mike Miller

Started by ModAdmin, January 19, 2023, 03:11:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModAdmin

Blue Bombers re-sign Mike Miller 

WINNIPEG, MB., January 19, 2023 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has agreed to terms with Canadian fullback Mike Miller on a one-year contract extension. He was scheduled to become a free agent in February.

Miller (6-0, 221, Acadia; born: March 15, 1989, in Riverview, NB) returns to the Blue Bombers for a sixth season after initially joining the team as a free agent in 2017.

Miller is one of the greatest special teams players in Canadian Football League history; he is the CFL's all-time leader in special teams tackles with 226, having taken over top spot in that category during the 2021 season.

Miller led the Blue Bombers with 16 special teams tackles in 2022, adding a forced fumble in his 18 regular season games while registering four more tackles on specials in the playoffs. During his days in Winnipeg, Miller has not missed a single game while amassing 110 special teams tackles, which ranks third in club history behind Wade Miller (184) and Brendan Rogers (124).

As a Blue Bomber, Miller led the league in special teams tackles in 2021 with 25, finished second in 2019 with the same total and racking up 22 in both 2017 and 2018.

A West Division All-Star in 2019 and 2021, Miller was also the West Division?s Most Outstanding Special Teams Player in both those seasons. He was named the Blue Bombers Most Outstanding Special Teams Player in 2019 and 2021 and the club?s Most Outstanding Canadian in 2021.

Miller signed with the Bombers in 2017 after spending the first six years of his CFL career in Edmonton, first landing there as an undrafted free agent.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

blue_gold_84

#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Lincoln Locomotive

He puts the special in special teams!   
Bomber fan for life

Pigskin

Another good signing. Welcome back Mr. Miller.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Blue In BC

An excellent player but I'm still a little surprised he wants to continue playing. He's no spring chicken and he's not making the big bucks. I thought he'd retire this off season. Regardless good to have him back. He can still contribute and is a leader on ST's.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

GOLDMEMBER

Another great resigning but needs to see the field more than last year.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Blue In BC

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on January 19, 2023, 05:22:35 PM
Another great resigning but needs to see the field more than last year.

Well he did play in all 18 games + playoffs. It's just that he was " limited or DNP " in practice for most of the season. I don't think he needed to practice much per se but that seemed like workload management for a player getting a little older etc.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on January 19, 2023, 05:38:03 PM
Well he did play in all 18 games + playoffs. It's just that he was " limited or DNP " in practice for most of the season. I don't think he needed to practice much per se but that seemed like workload management for a player getting a little older etc.

Running down the field and smashing into people takes good aim, but not much practice needed!

blue_or_die

For vet players who still contribute at a high level, I have zero problem with this. Bighill's in the same boat.

Great signing.
#Ride?

Pigskin

This is true, and he hasn't missed a game in 5 years. Production was down a little last season. But that could be for a number of seasons.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

GOLDMEMBER

ok
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on January 19, 2023, 04:28:43 PM
An excellent player but I'm still a little surprised he wants to continue playing. He's no spring chicken and he's not making the big bucks. I thought he'd retire this off season. Regardless good to have him back. He can still contribute and is a leader on ST's.

Ya, we need to alter our preconceived longevity notions a bit in this modern CFL world.  Miller was doing awesome even at 33+.  Just like Biggie: hard to put an age limit on it.  If their bodies feel good and they aren't tubbin' it all the time, and are still high performers vs league average, then why not continue until you drop dead.  I think they'll (and we'll) know it when they do hit that wall.  Mid-season 2022 AH33 comes to mind.  And maybe 2023 (32y.o.) Jeffcoat depending on how it goes.

However, it does mean our Bombers are starting to look like the oldest CFL team... that won't work forever, but it's fun ridin' it while it lasts!  ;)

Quote from: Pigskin on January 19, 2023, 07:31:40 PM
This is true, and he hasn't missed a game in 5 years. Production was down a little last season. But that could be for a number of seasons.

Wow, that's insane.  Gotta hand it to the guy!  On production, keep in mind his ST role can change year to year.  The tackles are usually made by the 2nd wave (just after the gunners), or 3rd.  Maybe Miller is being used in a slightly different role.  Maybe that's something I'll study when watching 2022 again: though it is hard to spot all the numbers in the pre-kick 12-shot, and worse in the ensuing all-24 melee.

Oh, forgot to say: good signing KW!  Rollin' rollin' rollin'...
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on January 20, 2023, 04:00:37 AM
Ya, we need to alter our preconceived longevity notions a bit in this modern CFL world.  Miller was doing awesome even at 33+.  Just like Biggie: hard to put an age limit on it.  If their bodies feel good and they aren't tubbin' it all the time, and are still high performers vs league average, then why not continue until you drop dead.  I think they'll (and we'll) know it when they do hit that wall.  Mid-season 2022 AH33 comes to mind.  And maybe 2023 (32y.o.) Jeffcoat depending on how it goes.

However, it does mean our Bombers are starting to look like the oldest CFL team... that won't work forever, but it's fun ridin' it while it lasts!  ;)

Wow, that's insane.  Gotta hand it to the guy!  On production, keep in mind his ST role can change year to year.  The tackles are usually made by the 2nd wave (just after the gunners), or 3rd.  Maybe Miller is being used in a slightly different role.  Maybe that's something I'll study when watching 2022 again: though it is hard to spot all the numbers in the pre-kick 12-shot, and worse in the ensuing all-24 melee.

Oh, forgot to say: good signing KW!  Rollin' rollin' rollin'...

As I suggested it was more a question of whether he had a desire to continue playing rather than no being able to play. He hasn't had and serious injuries and has only missed 4 or 5 games in 11 seasons. He already has the ST record but perhaps wants / wanted another Grey Cup opportunity.

Since I don't imagine he earns BIG money in the CFL, I thought this might be the year he'd move on to his post football career.
2019 Grey Cup Champions