Bombers Re-sign Jackson Jeffcoat

Started by ModAdmin, January 16, 2023, 09:14:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModAdmin

Winnipeg Blue Bombers re-sign defensive end Jackson Jeffcoat to a Contract Extension

WINNIPEG, MB., January 16, 2023 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has signed American defensive end Jackson Jeffcoat to a one-year contract extension. He was scheduled to become a free agent next month.

Jeffcoat (6-3, 243, University of Texas; born: December 26, 1990, in Dallas, TX) returns to the Blue Bombers for a sixth season in 2023.

Despite missing six regular season games due to injury, Jeffcoat finished the 2022 campaign with four quarterback sacks, 20 defensive tackles, one interception along with a forced fumble and fumble recovery.

He was especially effective in the playoffs with a sack in each of the Western Final and Grey Cup games, adding a forced fumble in the championship loss to the Toronto Argonauts.

Jeffcoat enjoyed a career year in 2021, racking up a career-best nine quarterback sacks to lead the Blue Bombers, while forcing a league-best four fumbles and adding 26 tackles and two pass knockdowns. Those totals saw him earn spots on both the West Division and CFL All-Star teams for the first time in his career.

Jeffcoat now has 30 sacks and 126 tackles in 64 regular season games with the Blue Bombers.

A star during his college days with the Texas Longhorns where he was a Consensus All-American and the Big 12 Conference Defensive Player of the Year in 2013, Jeffcoat joined the Bombers in 2017 after stints in the NFL with Seattle, Washington and Cleveland.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

GOLDMEMBER

Great to have him back but he needs to stay on the field more this year!
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

blue_gold_84

#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

pjrocksmb

the.inkster

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on January 16, 2023, 09:20:50 PM

Agree with this. We weren't quite the same without him when he was injured last season.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on January 16, 2023, 09:20:50 PM

Ya.  I guess the team thinks he can be more healthy.  Hopefully they have more inside info on the injury than we did all year.  A healthy Jeffcoat is the yin to Willie's yang.  Best duo in the league.
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Great re-signing. Now we just need to improve our depth on the DL in order to manage workloads for both our DE's.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

wpg#1

GO BLUE BOMBERS GO !
COOL BEANS !

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: TecnoGenius on January 17, 2023, 01:37:38 AM
Ya.  I guess the team thinks he can be more healthy.  Hopefully they have more inside info on the injury than we did all year.  A healthy Jeffcoat is the yin to Willie's yang.  Best duo in the league.

I love your yin and yang analogy of the two Jefferson's...and it's spot on
Bomber fan for life

Jockitch

Really am happy for the signing .  Truly feel the Bomber's D thrives when he is out there  ....... course that's no surprise
Hopefully he has a solid off-season rehab on his aches and gets back to consistent on field success for a full season
BOMBERS ARE GREY CUP " CHAMPS "

HUSTLE & MUSCLE

Sir Blue and Gold

Lukewarm on this deal. Hard to evaluate without knowing the SMS details.

Pigskin

Love JJ94, makes our D better when he is on the field. But he has to stay healthy.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on January 18, 2023, 02:34:55 AM
Lukewarm on this deal. Hard to evaluate without knowing the SMS details.

You think we ponied up big$$time?  I would guess we gave him a little bump up as we probably did most decent performers.  We should be totally fine with that assuming he can play more than 12 reg-season games in 2023.

The problem with Jeffcoat is we can't really short change him for missing many games, because other teams will definitely pony up to take a chance he'll be healthy in 2023.  He's a top 5 DE in the CFL, if not top 3 (or top 2!!).

We must keep in mind that when healthy he often performed better than Willie...  Willie was very quiet in 2022.
Never go full Rider!

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: TecnoGenius on January 18, 2023, 07:41:31 AM
You think we ponied up big$$time?  I would guess we gave him a little bump up as we probably did most decent performers.  We should be totally fine with that assuming he can play more than 12 reg-season games in 2023.

The problem with Jeffcoat is we can't really short change him for missing many games, because other teams will definitely pony up to take a chance he'll be healthy in 2023.  He's a top 5 DE in the CFL, if not top 3 (or top 2!!).

We must keep in mind that when healthy he often performed better than Willie...  Willie was very quiet in 2022.

I have no idea the cash involved which is why it's really hard to evaluate. After 2021, he talked about getting paid and moving on from the team. He ended up being the first pending free agent signed and said that the Bombers took care of him. In short, he got paid in 2022. If he's getting near the same money for 2023 I think it's a poor gamble. Certainly he is not getting a bump. If he's back on a more friendly deal it makes sense.

Jesse

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on January 18, 2023, 01:47:40 PM
I have no idea the cash involved which is why it's really hard to evaluate. After 2021, he talked about getting paid and moving on from the team. He ended up being the first pending free agent signed and said that the Bombers took care of him. In short, he got paid in 2022. If he's getting near the same money for 2023 I think it's a poor gamble. Certainly he is not getting a bump. If he's back on a more friendly deal it makes sense.

He's probably our best defensive player. I think you have to take the risk.
My wife is amazing!