Green Bay Packers Sign Tyrell Ford

Started by Ridermania, January 10, 2023, 07:11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ridermania

Canadian defensive back Tyrell Ford has signed with the Green Bay Packers.

The 24-year-old spent this past season with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, recording three defensive tackles, three knockdowns, and 10 special teams tackles over 18 regular season games with one start.

He was released by Winnipeg on Tuesday to allow him to sign with Green Bay.

the paw

Fast is as fast does, you can't teach speed.  Good luck to him....
grab grass 'n growl

Sec223

Quote from: Ridermania on January 10, 2023, 07:11:17 PM
Canadian defensive back Tyrell Ford has signed with the Green Bay Packers.

The 24-year-old spent this past season with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, recording three defensive tackles, three knockdowns, and 10 special teams tackles over 18 regular season games with one start.

He was released by Winnipeg on Tuesday to allow him to sign with Green Bay.

Outstanding numbers. How will he be replaced ?

Blue In BC

Congratulations for Ford and good luck. OTOH it's disappointing to lose one of our high draft picks after just one season.

We released Thompson and Rene so that's 3 Canadian DB's gone from last year's roster. Have to think we'll draft at least one in the 2023 draft.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on January 10, 2023, 08:21:45 PM
Congratulations for Ford and good luck. OTOH it's disappointing to lose one of our high draft picks after just one season.

We released Thompson and Rene so that's 3 Canadian DB's gone from last year's roster. Have to think we'll draft at least one in the 2023 draft.

What was an area of strength for a short period of time has again become an area of weakness.

the paw

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on January 10, 2023, 08:40:11 PM
What was an area of strength for a short period of time has again become an area of weakness.

Well, we still have both Halletts, Kramdi, this Lavigne kid and a global DB, so its not like the cupboard is bare. 
grab grass 'n growl

pjrocksmb

We might pickup a couple decent players and will also have a face or two surprise at camp / develop during the season

Could be a slow start on the back end but we shall be ok as we gel and new faces mature

Really proud of Ford

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: the paw on January 10, 2023, 08:44:42 PM
Well, we still have both Halletts, Kramdi, this Lavigne kid and a global DB, so its not like the cupboard is bare. 

All good backups and S.T. players but I don't know if any of them will ever become starters, with Ford and Thompson they lost potential starters.

the paw

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on January 11, 2023, 04:51:12 PM
All good backups and S.T. players but I don't know if any of them will ever become starters, with Ford and Thompson they lost potential starters.

There was that possibility for sure, but no certainty.  I loved how Thompson played, he is a physical kid, but I think he really only had the toolkit to be a safety, and that job was off the table as soon as Brandon Alexander healed up.  But he is rehabbing the injury, and if he heals up right, we may not have seen the last of him.

Ford may have evolved into a starter, but that is not usually how the Bombers deploy their ratio.  And there is less urgency around the ratio with the new 50-50 national/import spots.  I suppose Ford could have been the dime back and seen the field more regularly under that scenario.  The other thing is that signing doesn't mean he's made the club, and we still own his rights for two more years. 
grab grass 'n growl

Pigskin

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on January 11, 2023, 04:51:12 PM

Hallett started a number of games for the Bombers and played well. Probably why Thompson was expendable. However with Ford leaving, I could see the Bombers looking at Thompson again.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: the paw on January 11, 2023, 05:06:46 PM
There was that possibility for sure, but no certainty.  I loved how Thompson played, he is a physical kid, but I think he really only had the toolkit to be a safety, and that job was off the table as soon as Brandon Alexander healed up.  But he is rehabbing the injury, and if he heals up right, we may not have seen the last of him.

Ford may have evolved into a starter, but that is not usually how the Bombers deploy their ratio.  And there is less urgency around the ratio with the new 50-50 national/import spots.  I suppose Ford could have been the dime back and seen the field more regularly under that scenario.  The other thing is that signing doesn't mean he's made the club, and we still own his rights for two more years. 

Yah, if you look at it that way, with the Import talent the Bombers have available in the secondary and the majority of ratio options on offence, good chance Hall will not consider starting a Natl. in the secondary unless B.A. retires in the next few years.