On Rasheed Bailey

Started by ModAdmin, December 23, 2022, 05:42:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dd

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on December 24, 2022, 06:42:00 AM
I disagree, hard to find a 3rd fiddle receiver willing to work as hard as Bailey does.
Agree , he?s a beast of a hard worker, but he has shown he can also make plays. I d like us to resign him and between him, demski, Shoen and Woli, our receiving corps is pretty strong.

Sec223

Quote from: dd on December 27, 2022, 10:23:47 PM
Agree , he?s a beast of a hard worker, but he has shown he can also make plays. I d like us to resign him and between him, demski, Shoen and Woli, our receiving corps is pretty strong.

At what price ?

Tee42

Quote from: Sec223 on December 28, 2022, 12:09:51 PM
At what price ?
Im sure there is extra cash not signing Ellingson

Pigskin

I am wondering if the Bombers don't sign RB88 and GE2, they use there money to sign a player like Lawler or Lewis.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Pete

Quote from: Tee42 on December 28, 2022, 02:23:12 PM
Im sure there is extra cash not signing Ellingson
It's too early to say we're not signing elingson, last year we were in on several other recievrrs, but ended up signing him as he was one of the last better receivers left.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pigskin on December 28, 2022, 04:24:24 PM
I am wondering if the Bombers don't sign RB88 and GE2, they use there money to sign a player like Lawler or Lewis.

Honestly I don't think we'll be in the running for either of Lawler or Lewis. Those 2 will get the most of any potential free agent receivers. I expect we'll re-sign Bailey although he might check his market value in free agency before returning.

I won't be surprised if we re-sign Ellingson but I also won't be surprised if we don't. We have to see who reaches free agency and then the cards will fall into place.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Horseman

The longer a player takes to re-sign, the less money that will be available as we won't stand around waiting for that player. We will be making offers to other players and if they sign right away that will leave less money for the ones who take too long to sign. If they wait they may lose out.

dd

Pass on elingson, hurt waaay too much this year and will only get worse with age

TecnoGenius

Quote from: dd on December 31, 2022, 04:59:26 AM
Pass on elingson, hurt waaay too much this year and will only get worse with age

Ya, that's my gut feeling too.  However, Ellingson did look like our top (or close to it) receiver early in the season.  It's easy to forgot that after his disappearance and plain bad post-season.  Zach just loved to go to him in those early games.

If he can stay out of the tub he's undoubtedly worth having at the (probably) cheap-o price he's commanding.  But that "if" is the big question...  He is turning 53 or something  ;)  Maybe you sign him anyway and keep a decent backup within arm's reach?
Never go full Rider!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on January 01, 2023, 06:09:10 AM
Ya, that's my gut feeling too.  However, Ellingson did look like our top (or close to it) receiver early in the season.  It's easy to forgot that after his disappearance and plain bad post-season.  Zach just loved to go to him in those early games.

If he can stay out of the tub he's undoubtedly worth having at the (probably) cheap-o price he's commanding.  But that "if" is the big question...  He is turning 53 or something  ;)  Maybe you sign him anyway and keep a decent backup within arm's reach?

At best Ellingson has a year or two left in his career, I think he will be an easy signing for Walters once Schoen's fate has been determined, as he will offer him whatever's left in the kitty after signing Demski, and it will be up to Ellingson to accept it or not, he may even choose to retire.  From his perspective playing for the Bombers is his best opportunity to win a second Grey Cup and he seemed to love the environment, I'd speculate he doesn't want to end his career on a down note playing for a team with no hope. 

pjrocksmb

We will do what we always do, be patient and we won't overpay

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: pjrocksmb on January 02, 2023, 03:25:15 AM
We will do what we always do, be patient and we won't overpay

We used to overpay annually. Walters first couple of off-seasons was full of doing that. We can't anymore so we don't but it's not exactly because it's never the right move.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Pigskin on December 28, 2022, 04:24:24 PM

At what price?  The extra $100k they would have to throw in their direction could be divvied up to provide a few vets like Bailey and Couture with a pay raise to keep them content.  Priority sign Demski first, worry about the rest second.

Jets

Baileys Instagram bio doesn't reference Winnipeg at all anymore. Not sure if it ever did though.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on January 03, 2023, 11:14:17 PM
At what price?  The extra $100k they would have to throw in their direction could be divvied up to provide a few vets like Bailey and Couture with a pay raise to keep them content.  Priority sign Demski first, worry about the rest second.

I'd like Couture back but he may be an SMS casualty and / or he may want to try free agency. He's also from BC so that's a potential issue as well as money.
2019 Grey Cup Champions