Bomber SAM position

Started by Blue In BC, December 22, 2022, 03:21:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue In BC

Just to be clear, I'd really like Darby to be re-signed for 2023. I don't know definitively that Maston is totally out of the consideration but you'd have to think that would be the case. Two serious injuries and he hasn't played since 2019. He's also a potential free agent.

I know Ford is exploring his NFL option window but I wonder if he might be a candidate consideration along with Kramdi to start if we can't re-sign Darby.

Kramdi has a couple of seasons experience in Winnipeg and has shown some athletic talent. Ford played well in his one start and seems to have good cover skills and tackling ability. Obviously enough to get looks from the NFL. That said I expect him to return to Winnipeg.

At the moment there are more questions than answers. Obviously we may make a free agent acquisition or have rookies in TC looking for a role.

Our secondary looks to return intact along with Wilson at WIL. So SAM is the only issue in the back 7 at the moment.

Having another Canadian capable of starting or at worst being a quality back up is not a bad situation for versatility in the ratio.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pete

Quote from: Blue In BC on December 22, 2022, 03:21:28 PM
Just to be clear, I'd really like Darby to be re-signed for 2023. I don't know definitively that Maston is totally out of the consideration but you'd have to think that would be the case. Two serious injuries and he hasn't played since 2019. He's also a potential free agent.

I know Ford is exploring his NFL option window but I wonder if he might be a candidate consideration along with Kramdi to start if we can't re-sign Darby.

Kramdi has a couple of seasons experience in Winnipeg and has shown some athletic talent. Ford played well in his one start and seems to have good cover skills and tackling ability. Obviously enough to get looks from the NFL. That said I expect him to return to Winnipeg.

At the moment there are more questions than answers. Obviously we may make a free agent acquisition or have rookies in TC looking for a role.

Our secondary looks to return intact along with Wilson at WIL. So SAM is the only issue in the back 7 at the moment.

Having another Canadian capable of starting or at worst being a quality back up is not a bad situation for versatility in the ratio.

Im hoping they look at Chris Edwards from Toronto if hes available. Hes an impact player that toronto seemed to be moving around during the latter half of the season. I dont think Ford is physical enough

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pete on December 22, 2022, 03:56:49 PM
Im hoping they look at Chris Edwards from Toronto if hes available. Hes an impact player that toronto seemed to be moving around during the latter half of the season. I dont think Ford is physical enough

There might be a few SAM players available if we need to go that route. Have to wait until the dust settles on our players and those approaching free agency.

The playing sample size on Ford is very small so you might be right. Just thinking I was impressed with the game he started at CB and thought he did play quite physically. He's the same size as Darby or Maston and think the looks from the NFL might suggest speed and toughness.

That said, one game doesn't tell us enough other than maybe giving him a look during TC if he returns.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

the paw

I think Ford is getting a look down south based on his speed and athleticism rather than any film he put up here. He would be a development project on the PR, but at his age that?s a viable option.

I think that if they felt Kramdi was up to the job, the wouldn?t have traded for Darby.  Also, the ratio changes lessen the need for full-time Canadian starters.  I don?t think SAM is where they will deploy the 50-50 position.  But I could be wrong.

I really wish we knew the story behind Rutledge, I thought he was coming along fine.  But if we stick with Darby that?s ok too.
grab grass 'n growl

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Pete on December 22, 2022, 03:56:49 PM

God no he's far too undisciplined, he's a talented player but barely in control of his faculties, he was at the heart of the brawl with Ti-Cat fans a few seasons ago and received a 6 game suspension for his involvement.  He'd be a fine addition to the green team to the West.

M.O.A.B.

Rose and Lawrence probably will be the corners. I would like to see Houston or Parker on SAM. Parker is physical like Taylor and continually improved late in the season.

Blue In BC

Quote from: the paw on December 22, 2022, 04:10:42 PM
I think Ford is getting a look down south based on his speed and athleticism rather than any film he put up here. He would be a development project on the PR, but at his age that?s a viable option.

I think that if they felt Kramdi was up to the job, the wouldn?t have traded for Darby.  Also, the ratio changes lessen the need for full-time Canadian starters.  I don?t think SAM is where they will deploy the 50-50 position.  But I could be wrong.

I really wish we knew the story behind Rutledge, I thought he was coming along fine.  But if we stick with Darby that?s ok too.

Obviously Ford is still a raw talent but he might be a good player for depth in his 2nd CFL season if he returns. But he might be a future starter on defence at some point.

Kramdi was only a 2nd year player and missed 7 games in 2021. Darby was in his 5th season and ended up with 200 DT's in his career. So I don't think there is any question why they would trade for him over leaving Kramdi as the immediate solution.

Rutledge was a surprising development but we seemed to have move on.

I don't really think the changes to ratio will impact SAM or much of anything really. We still have to start 7 actual Canadians and only the DI's might come into play but even that means replacing another import that was the Nationalize American which is what DI's do in the 1st place.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blue In BC

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on December 22, 2022, 04:40:22 PM
Rose and Lawrence probably will be the corners. I would like to see Houston or Parker on SAM. Parker is physical like Taylor and continually improved late in the season.

Houston is only 169 lbs and Parker is only 177 lbs. I don't see either of them at SAM. They are the little guys in our secondary.

I expect Parker at DHB and Houston at CB.

Where Lawrence and Holm fit in is not quite as obvious. I am glad to see both returning. Injuries in TC, depth capabilities at CB and DHB is important.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

blue_gold_84

I'd love to see Darby remain a Blue Bomber if it's feasible.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Blue In BC

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on December 22, 2022, 05:01:05 PM
I'd love to see Darby remain a Blue Bomber if it's feasible.

Me too. I don't see SAM as an extremely high SMS hit. In that sense I don't specifically see money as the gating issue. But it's possible. Not that I think he doesn't like being in Winnipeg but players often leave for reasons besides money.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Quote from: Blue In BC on December 22, 2022, 03:21:28 PM

Sorry if I am in pointing out a contradiction in your assertion, but it didn't scan right for me.  I'm not sure if you are saying the questions about the team, and using SAM as an example, or you are saying the SAM position has questions.  

I think, of any team, we have far fewer questions heading into 2023, and definitely far fewer questions than answers. 

SAM has no "penned in" person, but every year, we have a position that "next man up" is appropriate for.  Even in season, due to play or injury, we find a way.  like Darby.  

You mention a number of roster players that could be that guy, as well as potential free agents who should be available, amenable and affordable.   With Bighill and Wilson manning the LB corps, I think SAM will be a very easy fill.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

the paw

Quote from: Blue In BC on December 22, 2022, 04:46:45 PM

I don't really think the changes to ratio will impact SAM or much of anything really. We still have to start 7 actual Canadians and only the DI's might come into play but even that means replacing another import that was the Nationalize American which is what DI's do in the 1st place.

Of the seven actual Canadians, two of them only have to play 50% of the snaps.  By pairing one of them with an American veteran, you satisfy one of the required ratio starters and optimize/maximize the available talent.

If Kramdi was seen as rep worthy, say particularly sturdy against the run, you could match him with a vet like Darby who could deploy on more complex coverages.

I hadn?t thought SAM would be the most likely position to do that, I had been thinking DT was more likely.  But by re-signing Jake Thomas and having Lawson, that seems less likely now. 

grab grass 'n growl

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on December 22, 2022, 05:35:16 PM
Sorry if I am in pointing out a contradiction in your assertion, but it didn't scan right for me.  I'm not sure if you are saying the questions about the team, and using SAM as an example, or you are saying the SAM position has questions.  

I think, of any team, we have far fewer questions heading into 2023, and definitely far fewer questions than answers. 

SAM has no "penned in" person, but every year, we have a position that "next man up" is appropriate for.  Even in season, due to play or injury, we find a way.  like Darby.  

You mention a number of roster players that could be that guy, as well as potential free agents who should be available, amenable and affordable.   With Bighill and Wilson manning the LB corps, I think SAM will be a very easy fill.

We have more questions on the DL than in the secondary on defence ( Jeffcoat, Sayles and Adams ). All our DB's with the exception of SAM are returning in 2023. Where some might start or back up is a different issue.  Yes it could be a very easy position to fill but that's not exactly a guarantee. We'll have to wait to see if we need a replacement and then who is available in free agency. I pointed out the issues with SAM and how we might have issues. Kramdi was listed as the depth for in game replacement. I wouldn't say or even think we had a next up man on our PR either. Hence the trade for Darby.

I don't agree we have fewer questions heading into 2023 overall: Demski, Darby, Bryant, Hardrick, Couture, Bailey, Schoen, Ellingson, Prukop, Jeffcoat, Sayles is a pretty large significant list.

I think most will be back but that's 10 starters.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blue In BC

Quote from: the paw on December 22, 2022, 05:55:21 PM
Of the seven actual Canadians, two of them only have to play 50% of the snaps.  By pairing one of them with an American veteran, you satisfy one of the required ratio starters and optimize/maximize the available talent.

If Kramdi was seen as rep worthy, say particularly sturdy against the run, you could match him with a vet like Darby who could deploy on more complex coverages.

I hadn?t thought SAM would be the most likely position to do that, I had been thinking DT was more likely.  But by re-signing Jake Thomas and having Lawson, that seems less likely now. 

It doesn't matter if you only have to play 2 of the actual Canadians 50% of the time.  The question is who do you rotate into the positions. 17 of our imports are already starting. You'd have to rotate in the DI's if they qualify under the definitions. Most of the back ups are already Canadians. Globals can only replace imports or other Globals in rotation.

Take the 2023 roster. Grant would be the only non full time import starter that could rotate in for somebody. Clements, Cole, Cooper, Holm, McCrae, and Walker were all DI's at some point. None would have qualified as Nationalized Americans. Walker and Clements were 2nd year CFL players.

The DI's in 2023 are up in the air. In theory we could sign a veteran import receiver and sign Ellingson as a DI. He's qualify but would he take a DI salary and would we use a DI spot for a receiver that isn't a returner?

I would seriously doubt that as an example. DI's fill the gaps we can't fill in game with Canadians. The ratio doesn't always come into play.

Now if a given team seems to always start more than 7 Canadians then you might have a few more imports that might qualify as Nationalized. OTOH if you have 10 legitimate Canadian starters, there is no need to rotate in that import if you drop down to only 9 actual Canadian starters.

Bombers did start more than 7 Canadians at times. IMO that was more to having veteran Canadian back ups and not having experienced import depth as DI's or on the PR that could step up. IE: Gauthier at WIL or even Kramdi at SAM. What other choices did we really have?

2019 Grey Cup Champions

the paw

Quote from: Blue In BC on December 22, 2022, 06:19:34 PM

It doesn't matter if you only have to play 2 of the actual Canadians 50% of the time.  The question is who do you rotate into the positions. 17 of our imports are already starting. You'd have to rotate in the DI's if they qualify under the definitions. Most of the back ups are already Canadians. Globals can only replace imports or other Globals in rotation.

Take the 2023 roster. Grant would be the only non full time import starter that could rotate in for somebody. Clements, Cole, Cooper, Holm, McCrae, and Walker were all DI's at some point. None would have qualified as Nationalized Americans. Walker and Clements were 2nd year CFL players.

The DI's in 2023 are up in the air. In theory we could sign a veteran import receiver and sign Ellingson as a DI. He's qualify but would he take a DI salary and would we use a DI spot for a receiver that isn't a returner?

I would seriously doubt that as an example. DI's fill the gaps we can't fill in game with Canadians. The ratio doesn't always come into play.

DI salaries in the past are not indicative of what they will be going forward.  The whole CBA provision was designed to increase the value of veteran Americans, so some shifting of values is to be expected.

It is also relatively simple to designate a veteran starter as the DI and have the younger player become the official starter.

For example, let?s say Kylie Wilson wasn?t coming back and we saw Cole as the heir apparent. He would not be eligible to be the nationalized player.  But Bighill would be eligible.  So you could start Bighill for 50% of the snaps, with Gauthier coming in for 50% and would count as the starter for ratio.  But Bighill as DI can also sub in for Cole.  Let?s say he does that for 25% of snaps.

That rotation would result in Bighill and Cole each playing 75% of snaps and Gauthier playing 50% but counting as the starter.  And they could all make exactly what they did under the old system. 
grab grass 'n growl