Dalton Schoen working our for Vikes...

Started by theaardvark, December 21, 2022, 04:23:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: the paw on January 25, 2023, 09:42:02 PM
He was injured in 2021 and missed half the year.  He didn't look entirely comfortable in 2022, but he would have had close to a 1000 yd season if he hadn't had a mid season injury.  I put down part of the dip to Fajardos uselessness, but part of it was Shaqs confidence.

He put up 1300 yards in 2019, and he won't be super expensive.  Who knows if he stays health though.
Not sure 2019 was a long long time ago!
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

gobombersgo

If Schoen does come back to the Bombers does the team renegotiate his contract for 2023?

the paw

Quote from: gobombersgo on January 26, 2023, 01:30:50 AM
If Schoen does come back to the Bombers does the team renegotiate his contract for 2023?

Not really.  I think what they typically would do is leave the 2023 contract as is, and extend him for extra years at a higher salary.  But they can give a signing bonus for the extension, and make it payable in 2023, so it has the same effect as a new contract.

I think they do it this way to avoid opening contracts midway after a good season.  Of course its a double standard, because teams don't hesitate to restructure when they want a guy to take a haircut.
grab grass 'n growl

Lincoln Locomotive

He tried out for quite a few teams....you'd have thought by now he would have an offer on the table or perhaps not.    As much as I want him to succeed personally the Bomber fan in me would be overjoyed should he return to our locker room.....hopefully with a decent contract or signing bonus as he so deserves it!!
Bomber fan for life

Pete

I think it would be very beneficial if we were to renogiate his contract to give him 3 years say at 150k.
while it would likely mean an extra 65-85k this year it gives us a chance to have him with collaris for the length of his contract It would  lessen the impact over the last 2 years where if he went to free agency he'd likely be closer to 200k.
So either way the dollars would be close but wed have him signed. Added benifet for the last two years would be cap savings of 25-50k each year
From Shoens point of view he gets paid right away.

yr 1     yr2   yr3  
Scenario 1 extend ..(asssuming hes at approx 75k now) = 75K +  175   + 175  =425k

Scenario 2 renegotiate =150+150+150 =450k

Scenario 3  wait til contract expires and he goes to free agency= 75+ 200K+200k=475
the problem with #3 is it may not be with the bombers for yrs 2&3

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Pete on January 26, 2023, 04:47:48 PM
I think it would be very beneficial if we were to renogiate his contract to give him 3 years say at 150k.
while it would likely mean an extra 65-85k this year it gives us a chance to have him with collaris for the length of his contract It would  lessen the impact over the last 2 years where if he went to free agency he'd likely be closer to 200k.
So either way the dollars would be close but wed have him signed. Added benifet for the last two years would be cap savings of 25-50k each year
From Shoens point of view he gets paid right away.

yr 1     yr2   yr3  
Scenario 1 extend ..(asssuming hes at approx 75k now) = 75K +  175   + 175  =425k

Scenario 2 renegotiate =150+150+150 =450k

Scenario 3  wait til contract expires and he goes to free agency= 75+ 200K+200k=475
the problem with #3 is it may not be with the bombers for yrs 2&3

This is what the Elks did recently with Dillon Mitchell who showed up last July, they threw away his rookie contract after playing 8 games and signed him to a 2 year deal at $150K/yr. at the duration of last season.

Pigskin

Blank cheques are what kills teams. If we were ever going to write a BC, it would have been last year for Lawler. Didn't happen, and it won't happen this year. 
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pete on January 26, 2023, 04:47:48 PM

I don't think you give a 2nd year IMP $150; not even the ROY.  There may have been other factors that made him look better than he might perform in, say, 2023.  Many of his TDs were on scramble panics.  You can't count on those each game.  And teams might adjust.

Need to also ask: How good were his routes?  His speed?  % made contested catches?  Circus catches?

I think you bump him up for 2023 as a reward, but you can save the "big money" contract for 2024 when he's shown he's a baller for 2 straight seasons.

If we decide to pay NAT uber-vet Demski $200, then I'm not sure how you justify $150 for Schoen.  And if you pay Schoen $150, you'll have vet Bailey flipping out he's only earning <$150.

We're going to run out of money for the WR/SB corps.  Paying Demski $200 might mean we have to lose Ellingson and Bailey just so we can field some 1st/2nd year "nobody" IMPs on ELC(ish) to stay in-budget.  I really don't see how we'll afford any vet "FA splash" guy at all in 2023.  I think we roll with who we have and fill any departures with ELC IMPs and ELC DPs.  And that's ok.
Never go full Rider!

ModAdmin

Quote from: TecnoGenius on January 27, 2023, 04:59:20 AM
I don't think you give a 2nd year IMP $150; not even the ROY.  There may have been other factors that made him look better than he might perform in, say, 2023.  Many of his TDs were on scramble panics.  You can't count on those each game.  And teams might adjust.

Need to also ask: How good were his routes?  His speed?  % made contested catches?  Circus catches?

I think you bump him up for 2023 as a reward, but you can save the "big money" contract for 2024 when he's shown he's a baller for 2 straight seasons.

If we decide to pay NAT uber-vet Demski $200, then I'm not sure how you justify $150 for Schoen. 
And if you pay Schoen $150, you'll have vet Bailey flipping out he's only earning <$150.

We're going to run out of money for the WR/SB corps.  Paying Demski $200 might mean we have to lose Ellingson and Bailey just so we can field some 1st/2nd year "nobody" IMPs on ELC(ish) to stay in-budget.  I really don't see how we'll afford any vet "FA splash" guy at all in 2023.  I think we roll with who we have and fill any departures with ELC IMPs and ELC DPs.  And that's ok.

I dunno about your "questions" Tecno.  Facts are...

Schoen led the league in...

He was #1 in Receiving - 1441 yards
He played 18 games plus playoffs
He led the league in average yards per catch - 20.6 yards
He led the league in TD's with 16
He was ROY

That is his results and pretty much says it all.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: ModAdmin on January 27, 2023, 05:28:51 AM
I dunno about your "questions" Tecno.  Facts are...

He was ROY

That is his results and pretty much says it all.
If we don't ante up assuming we have the opportunity....some other team will.    I don't think it was a fluke last season scramble routes or not.....
Bomber fan for life

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on January 27, 2023, 05:57:06 AM
If we don't ante up assuming we have the opportunity....some other team will.    I don't think it was a fluke last season scramble routes or not.....

Not true.  He's on IMP ELC, I do believe, and I also do believe that IMP ELC is mandated 2 years.  No?  He can go NFL (or other *FL) or quit.  He cannot just up and go to another CFL team.

That said (assuming I'm correct and not getting confused with DPs), it doesn't mean we can't reward him for his production, past and future.  But 150k??  I still think that's wacky for a 2nd year.

And I'm not saying Schoen is only winning on scramble.  I love the kid and he has huge talent.  But he's no Lawler.  He's young and will probably do great things as he develops.  But from what I've seen, I wouldn't in any way bet that he'll be the next Stegall.  It's mostly for the reason that how he does it seems unconventional: and "unconventional" doesn't always mean long term massive success.  Sometimes it spells the opposite.

Quote from: ModAdmin on January 27, 2023, 05:28:51 AM

He was ROY

Ya ya.  I know.  But you must admit his style of getting all those stats was a bit unconventional.  He just never felt to me like a "normal" receiver.  I don't know, maybe I have to rewatch the season focussing on Schoen.  He was always like the magical kid, magically in the right place at the right time.

You think KW ponies up $150 for him?  Wouldn't that be approx double his 2022 ELC $$?

I will reiterate: no opponent team said "we must stop Schoen".  It was Demski.  Maybe Demski being such a threat is why Schoen was open so much?  Now, in 2023, maybe D's will say "we must stop Schoen"; but they didn't in 2022.
Never go full Rider!

Sec223

Many of his yards were ad lib routes that are more of a CFL thing not NFL.

bunker

I think Schoen is legit and a bargain even at 150,000. He has great hands and rarely drops anything. He has underrated speed and is a legitimate deep threat. He is very smart, learned the playbook quickly, and gained ZC?s trust.  He did a lot of his damage while Ellingson was out, a situation where he was likely getting a lot of attention from defences. Also a good blocker. And the most under rated ability is availability. He does not seem to get injured. Many other elite CFL receivers were out for extended periods of time.

blue_gold_84

The mental gymnastics some posters demonstrate on this forum... Comical.

Schoen is a phenom and will terrorize this league for a long time. And he'll be remunerated accordingly.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.