Dalton Schoen working our for Vikes...

Started by theaardvark, December 21, 2022, 04:23:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Blue and Gold

Dalton was great for us but was particularly effective during scramble rules. With Collaros there were a ton of those opportunities. In the NFL you can't make a living off of that so he needs to win with route running, size and/or speed and I'm not sure he's capable of that.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: ModAdmin on January 18, 2023, 02:27:38 AM
Still a ways to go but I am leaning toward the return of Dalton Schoen to the Bombers in 2023.
I hope your leaning is correct!
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Lincoln Locomotive

Bomber fan for life

BLUEBOMBER

It's a pity that many CFL players get poached by the NFL if they have 1 or 2 good seasons up here.  It's the nature of sports I guess...

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: BLUEBOMBER on January 18, 2023, 05:18:09 PM
It's a pity that many CFL players get poached by the NFL if they have 1 or 2 good seasons up here.  It's the nature of sports I guess...

....and they usually don't go on to accomplish anything noteworthy in the NFL, their playing careers become easily forgotten.

DM83

Their football careers may dry up, but making half a million a yr., and hanging out with the guys, sure beats working!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on January 18, 2023, 05:37:24 PM
....and they usually don't go on to accomplish anything noteworthy in the NFL, their playing careers become easily forgotten.

Zylstra has entered the chat.  (And Walker, and Duke, and ...)

I too think that Schoen doesn't really fit the mold of what the NFL wants.  He's not super fast, nor super big.  He doesn't lay out for balls.  His routes are so-so+.  What he does have is an incredible nose for the ball, football IQ of what the QB needs at that moment, a great sense of the coverage and its weakness, and great scramble rules instincts.  And good hands.  And like Bailey, he can take a hit and hang on.

We shouldn't rule out the possibility that he also has some special chemistry with Zach that he might not necessarily have with another team/QB.  Ellingson also had that great chemistry with Zach before his early-season injury.  Ellingson looked like he did 6 years ago.
Never go full Rider!

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: TecnoGenius on January 19, 2023, 12:55:55 AM
Zylstra has entered the chat.  (And Walker, and Duke, and ...)

I too think that Schoen doesn't really fit the mold of what the NFL wants.  He's not super fast, nor super big.  He doesn't lay out for balls.  His routes are so-so+.  What he does have is an incredible nose for the ball, football IQ of what the QB needs at that moment, a great sense of the coverage and its weakness, and great scramble rules instincts.  And good hands.  And like Bailey, he can take a hit and hang on.

We shouldn't rule out the possibility that he also has some special chemistry with Zach that he might not necessarily have with another team/QB.  Ellingson also had that great chemistry with Zach before his early-season injury.  Ellingson looked like he did 6 years ago.

I agree but he is a better route runner than you describe. He is actually a great route runner for CFL standards and needs.

theaardvark

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on January 18, 2023, 05:37:24 PM

Alex Singleton says "Hi"
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on January 19, 2023, 03:53:37 AM
Alex Singleton says "Hi"

Has Singleton petered out in the NFL now?  It was 2 or 4 years back I was watching him start a few NFL games and was looking very good indeed.  Busting up O's and the NFL commentators were loathe to give him cred and/or mention the CFL in a positive light.

Too bad he didn't stay in the CFL, I think he could have eventually gotten as good as Solly.
Never go full Rider!

Jesse

Quote from: TecnoGenius on January 19, 2023, 09:44:25 AM
Has Singleton petered out in the NFL now?  It was 2 or 4 years back I was watching him start a few NFL games and was looking very good indeed.  Busting up O's and the NFL commentators were loathe to give him cred and/or mention the CFL in a positive light.

Too bad he didn't stay in the CFL, I think he could have eventually gotten as good as Solly.

He has not petered out at all. He would be a one man wrecking crew if he was still here.
My wife is amazing!

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: TecnoGenius on January 19, 2023, 09:44:25 AM

not at all in fact he has carved out quite a nice year with the Denver Broncos I believe.

Lincoln Locomotive

Remember Cameron Wake who used to play for BC and also excelled in the NFL?   He was also a freak of nature in a Willie Jefferson kind of way
Bomber fan for life

Jesse

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on January 19, 2023, 03:40:23 PM
Remember Cameron Wake who used to play for BC and also excelled in the NFL?   He was also a freak of nature in a Willie Jefferson kind of way

Best defensive player we've probably ever seen in the CFL. He was unstoppable.
My wife is amazing!

Pigskin

Dalton may not be as effective without the running start he gets in the CFL.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.