Dalton Schoen working our for Vikes...

Started by theaardvark, December 21, 2022, 04:23:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete

One of the  issues has been the increase in size of the nfl practice rosters. Going from 10 pre  2020 to now 16. Thats an additional 192 positions. While its still not of lot of cflers who make it, still has an impact especially on signing players such as Dalton, Desjarlais, Streveler, and more.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pete on December 22, 2022, 03:47:37 PM
One of the  issues has been the increase in size of the nfl practice rosters. Going from 10 pre  2020 to now 16. Thats an additional 192 positions. While its still not of lot of cflers who make it, still has an impact especially on signing players such as Dalton, Desjarlais, Streveler, and more.

Fair enough, it does create more opportunities and may have more impact over time. The XFL or USFL might start drawing some players. Exposure in the US market and competitive salaries to CFL ELC's with shorter seasons might draw some PR players that were in development mode?

I'm waiting to see if any of those surface in the spring leagues.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on December 22, 2022, 04:11:59 PM
Fair enough, it does create more opportunities and may have more impact over time. The XFL or USFL might start drawing some players. Exposure in the US market and competitive salaries to CFL ELC's with shorter seasons might draw some PR players that were in development mode?

I'm waiting to see if any of those surface in the spring leagues.

One thing in the Bombers favour, Dalton mentioned he spent 2 years sitting on his couch waiting for an opportunity to play football, that might weigh heavily on his mind given the choice to continue waiting or to play football at a high level in the CFL and thrive.  He's a smart enough guy to realize with his multiple engineering degrees he will find monetary success once his playing days are over.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on December 22, 2022, 04:28:23 PM
One thing in the Bombers favour, Dalton mentioned he spent 2 years sitting on his couch waiting for an opportunity to play football, that might weigh heavily on his mind given the choice to continue waiting or to play football at a high level in the CFL and thrive.  He's a smart enough guy to realize with his multiple engineering degrees he will find monetary success once his playing days are over.

Sure. LOL. Any of those pay $700K usd for an active roster role or the lure of that? Can't blame any player for chasing the dream whether he has multiple degrees or none. Even NFL PR money could be worth multiple CFL seasons.

I have no idea what offers he might receive or consider. He has until Feb 12th to decide or see how things work out.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

I think the dig on Dalton is that he is not fast off the line in 4 down ball, which makes him a perfect player for the waggle, because the top end is not an issue.

If that part of his play improves, then maybe he can make it down there.  Or if he has an OC that knows how to use him.

There is no doubt about his ability to catch and turn upfield.  Or his desire / drive / work ethic.

I truly hope he makes it back here for TC, or at least for the season start.  But if he sticks, well on him, and our scouts / coaches for giving him that shot.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

blue_gold_84

I agree on his lethality up here being heavily reliant on the waggle. Not to say that's a criticism of his game or skillset, to be sure - he's a prototypical CFL receiver who has the tools to light this league on fire going forward.

I just don't know if burst speed off the LOS - something that's very important in the NFL - is something that can be learned. It seems like you either have it or you don't.

Has anyone heard how his workouts have gone thus far?
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on December 22, 2022, 05:02:29 PM
I think the dig on Dalton is that he is not fast off the line in 4 down ball, which makes him a perfect player for the waggle, because the top end is not an issue.

If that part of his play improves, then maybe he can make it down there.  Or if he has an OC that knows how to use him.

There is no doubt about his ability to catch and turn upfield.  Or his desire / drive / work ethic.

I truly hope he makes it back here for TC, or at least for the season start.  But if he sticks, well on him, and our scouts / coaches for giving him that shot.

I've heard that. It all sounds valid and may be why he didn't stick in the NFL without the waggle and one yard advantage.

That said, every NFL team doesn't have quality depth. Not every NFL team has the same offensive game plan and strengths.  Schoen can make difficult catches in traffic and break tackles. So he doesn't need to make a roster as a starter or he needs an OC that knows how to use him as you mentioned.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on December 22, 2022, 05:06:23 PM
I agree on his lethality up here being heavily reliant on the waggle. Not to say that's a criticism of his game or skillset, to be sure - he's a prototypical CFL receiver who has the tools to light this league on fire going forward.

I just don't know if burst speed off the LOS - something that's very important in the NFL - is something that can be learned. It seems like you either have it or you don't.

Has anyone heard how his workouts have gone thus far?

His height might also hamper him, he looks taller but he's only 6'-1".  When you come down to his measurable they are all average which could turn NFL teams off.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on December 22, 2022, 04:57:38 PM
Sure. LOL. Any of those pay $700K usd for an active roster role or the lure of that? Can't blame any player for chasing the dream whether he has multiple degrees or none. Even NFL PR money could be worth multiple CFL seasons.

I have no idea what offers he might receive or consider. He has until Feb 12th to decide or see how things work out.

If Schoen wants to accept PR money and contribute nothing on the field, you have a point.  Of course the bigger payday is a draw for all, but if he realizes he wants to have fun playing football instead of waiting for a chance that may never materialize as Bighill decided, that might influence his decision.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on December 22, 2022, 06:29:56 PM
If Schoen wants to accept PR money and contribute nothing on the field, you have a point.  Of course the bigger payday is a draw for all, but if he realizes he wants to have fun playing football instead of waiting for a chance that may never materialize as Bighill decided, that might influence his decision.

Like any player on a PR you are potentially 1 play in 1 game injury from making the AR as at least a back up. We all understand players want to play but even PR is not a bad gig for very good money.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on December 22, 2022, 06:41:15 PM
Like any player on a PR you are potentially 1 play in 1 game injury from making the AR as at least a back up. We all understand players want to play but even PR is not a bad gig for very good money.

I think the NFL depth chart is deeper than that, for example the Vikings currently have 3 WR on their PR all waiting for their opportunity to play behind the 7 they have listed on their active and reserve rosters.  It's an extreme long-shot to ever set foot on an NFL field on game day, as the TV show "Hard Knocks" illustrates. 

Very good money equates to $207,000 USD for 18 weeks spent on the practice squad and his opportunity to earn even that is only a few short years, he has the potential to eclipse those overall earnings with a long-term CFL career if money was his main objective, which I suspect isn't the case.

Lincoln Locomotive

some in depth and interesting takes on Dalton's chances of cracking an NFL roster.
Bomber fan for life

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on December 22, 2022, 07:15:01 PM
I think the NFL depth chart is deeper than that, for example the Vikings currently have 3 WR on their PR all waiting for their opportunity to play behind the 7 they have listed on their active and reserve rosters.  It's an extreme long-shot to ever set foot on an NFL field on game day, as the TV show "Hard Knocks" illustrates. 

Very good money equates to $207,000 USD for 18 weeks spent on the practice squad and his opportunity to earn even that is only a few short years, he has the potential to eclipse those overall earnings with a long-term CFL career if money was his main objective, which I suspect isn't the case.

NFL rosters are bigger but lots of players are injured during the course of their season. Same as in the CFL. Bombers lost every starting receiver and some back ups except Schoen for part of 2022.

$207K USD for 2 years is over $500K Cad and even the top receivers have a tough time earning that much. Players can move up and down the PR as well and / or be replaced outright. That happens in the CFL as well. Cuts, trades are always going on.

Players on PR's in all leagues often are expected to be most likely to replace a certain need ( injured player role ).  Don't know a lot about the Vikings in particular but starters may be approaching free agency and some PR players may or may not be asked back.

Rosters are fluid in the off season. That's a judgment a player has to make when signing with a given team. Changes in coaching and / or rosters impacts choices at times. CFL players doing that in their option year is probably more difficult than an actual free agent looking at an NFL team after their season is complete.

An additional note about Schoen is that he seems to be a very good blocker and that can't be underestimated either.

The reality is that several teams have expressed an interest in working him out. More than just 1 or 2. That increases his chances.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

ModAdmin

Still a ways to go but I am leaning toward the return of Dalton Schoen to the Bombers in 2023.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Jesse

Quote from: ModAdmin on January 18, 2023, 02:27:38 AM
Still a ways to go but I am leaning toward the return of Dalton Schoen to the Bombers in 2023.

Not allowing myself to think about it.
My wife is amazing!