Dalton Schoen working our for Vikes...

Started by theaardvark, December 21, 2022, 04:23:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theaardvark

And so it starts...

Good luck to the lad, he deserves a shot, but come home soon...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

Yeah, I wish him well but would certainly like him to be back in Winnipeg. Can't fault the lure of NFL money and playing in his own country. He'll be a star in the CFL though.

He has a workout with the Cardinals as well.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

the paw

grab grass 'n growl

blue_or_die

#Ride?

Jesse

Not a surprise....still a little disappointing.
My wife is amazing!

GOLDMEMBER

Do not like to here this but inevitable. This league annoys me sometimes.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

blue_gold_84

Glad to see him get a shot in the NFL.

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on December 21, 2022, 05:55:20 PM

What? ???
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

the paw

No need to get depressed until someone actually signs.  remember, Nichols and Rose ended up coming back, maybe Schoen will too....
grab grass 'n growl

Blue In BC

Quote from: the paw on December 21, 2022, 07:38:30 PM
No need to get depressed until someone actually signs.  remember, Nichols and Rose ended up coming back, maybe Schoen will too....

I think the problem with fluid rosters is an issue. Not much of that really relates to losing players to the NFL. The CFL only loses about 6 or so each year. A few more get tryouts but not NFL deals.

The 1 year contracts for vets usually see about 60 players change teams in free agency.

I understand why these options are provided in the CBA but I can't say they don't create fan concerns.

If it was up to me I'd eliminate the NFL option window. It's not attracting a large number of better talent IMO which was part of the original premise.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

blue_gold_84

He worked out with the Vikings on Monday and the Cardinals yesterday.

I expect he'll get other workout offers from other team in the new year but until he's offered a contract, he remains a Blue Bomber.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

dd

He ll get tons of workouts but I doubt he signs and will be back with us next year. Time will tell

GOLDMEMBER

I?ll cross my fingers but I?m sure he will head to the money. CFL is annoying sometimes because for whatever reason good players don?t stick around. I mean our scouts found the guy after he toiled to no end and he was blessed with a MOP QB and championship level club. After one measly year could be poof gone. It sucks.

I just hope he is back! We need him.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

blue_gold_84

Good players go where the money is, which is the NFL. It's just an unfortunate symptom of being right next to the world's football factory, where every player wants to make it to the big show above all else.

I do wish him well in his NFL aspirations but I'd much rather see him back in blue and gold in 2023. He's just so fun to watch and is such an asset on offense.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Sec223

That's the down fall of being a feeder league. I'm not expecting him to make it however he was a long shot to make it here.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Sec223 on December 22, 2022, 11:40:41 AM
That's the down fall of being a feeder league. I'm not expecting him to make it however he was a long shot to make it here.

I'm not sure if I agree with either of those points.

Like I said we only see 6 - 12 CFL players + 2 - 3 draft draft choices try to get an NFL deal each season. Even less than that stick beyond NFL TC's. I don't think that qualifies the CFL as a feeder league.

Bombers opened 2022 TC with 2 open starting roles at receiver. Adams to Ottawa and Lawler to Edmonton. IIRC we also had released Nelson as a depth player. In normal times a rookie player earning a starting role is difficult if the previous starters are returning. In 2022, we had rookies looking to win one spot. Ellingson was essentially a lock to take one open spot.

Like every rookie in any TC, skill and work ethic move you up the depth chart.

It's a little like draft choices success / failure. We wonder why a skilled player doesn't succeed in the NFL and while others that seem lesser hang on or have great careers.

In theory, Schoen is good enough to play in the NFL IMO. He needs the right team / opportunity to come forward.

The problem for the Bombers might be that we do not have a total resolution until NFL TC's make roster decisions.
2019 Grey Cup Champions