Dalton Schoen working our for Vikes...

Started by theaardvark, December 21, 2022, 04:23:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blue_gold_84

Someone should probably read up on Matthews' football career a bit better. ::)

Quote from: Jesse on February 01, 2023, 01:05:48 AM
But Schoen did get a sniff. That's the point.

Everyone knows who he is and has a scouting report already. If they go to the CFL tape and see the same guy he was before...they're not going to give him another shot.

Exactly. The comparison to Rourke is also ridiculous; a QB is not a WR.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Jesse

Quote from: TecnoGenius on February 01, 2023, 05:19:25 AM
Compare with Chris Matthews.  That's the last time we saw a rookie WR sensation like Schoen.  After lighting up 2012, he left for the NFL early in the 2013 season, and did ok and even made it to the SuperBowl (though I think he was filling in for a late-season injury?).  But then he loses the SuperBowl and kind of falls off everyone's radar.  Comes back to a pathetic attempt at reviving a CFL career.

What would have happened to Matthews had he stayed in the CFL instead?  Maybe he has a great, long, all-star career in WPG and/or other CFL teams?  Maybe he'd still be playing.

So was it worth it for him to go to the NFL?  Maybe?  A couple of years of PR, and some starts, and a SB loss.  Do they really make *that* much money for that to make a full decade career in the CFL as a superstar unattractive?  I don't know the $$ involved with his starts and SB loss, but maybe in this case it wasn't the massive boon he would have thought?  Now, if he gets $1M just for starting in the SB, I guess that changes the equation.  I just don't know.

Maybe Schoen can learn from looking at what has happened to his WR NFL-bound peers over their entire careers.  Especially since at this point it looks like the best he'll do is bouncing around PRs.

Plenty of recent examples of CFL receivers carving out good careers in the NFL. No, they are not all stars. But they hang around, play depth roles and make millions over the course of a few years. Not the mention the NFL connections that may lead to increased opportunities in their post-playing careers.
My wife is amazing!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on February 01, 2023, 01:26:35 PM
Someone should probably read up on Matthews' football career a bit better. ::)

Uh, oh sagacious one, what exactly did I get wrong?  I looked at his stats and he had a good 1-2 years clearly in a dressed-as-relief role (not starting), or at best a starter in a Woli-type 5th-read role (avg 10yds or so per game in '15).

So if you dress but aren't a starter, do you still make the big bucks??  What does a starting 5th read WR make?  You answered none of my questions.  And clearly he spent many weeks of those years on the PR.  And if Strev/Rourke sitting on PRs are looking at $700k, then surely a WR on the PR would make far less?
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on February 03, 2023, 06:27:08 AM
Uh, oh sagacious one, what exactly did I get wrong?  I looked at his stats and he had a good 1-2 years clearly in a dressed-as-relief role (not starting), or at best a starter in a Woli-type 5th-read role (avg 10yds or so per game in '15).

So if you dress but aren't a starter, do you still make the big bucks??  What does a starting 5th read WR make?  You answered none of my questions.  And clearly he spent many weeks of those years on the PR.  And if Strev/Rourke sitting on PRs are looking at $700k, then surely a WR on the PR would make far less?

NFL ELC's are over $700K. So whether you're a QB or a WR it's the same money for the minimum level. Rourke may have a higher level deal and more guarantees but the bottom rung of NFL contracts is why CFL players are interested.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

DM83

Interesting concept. Take an  NFL practice roster for lots of money and not play too much vs. play in Canada for 75% of the American dollar, but play, and in retirement, a foothold on a professional career..

Shoen is at a crossroads.  He is one of those great athletes, who for some reason is not a tight end or fast enough to be considered a starting WR in the NFL.  As well there are probably a hundred guys like him.  Not fast enough to be a WR or big enough to be a TE.

Some teams are employing the back out of the backfield as a receiver.  I think those teams will compete for the Super Bowl.
(Why? well defensively in the NFL  traditionally, the MLB covers the back in Man to man.)

In the CFL, the coaches, have realized that paying a couple more tougher DBs in a LB role helps solve that problem.

Pigskin

It would be nice to have Schoen and Demski signed for the next three years, with Zac.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

DM83

theaardvark

When does the futures contract window in the NFL close? 

If Schoen does not get an NFL offer, I wonder if Walters manages to sign him to a 2yr extension (3 years total) with guaranteed money on the back end.  If he does, Schoen will have the NFL window again next year...

There is no doubt that he has the stuff to be a star CFL player for many years to come.  Extending him will come down to whether he wants to "bet on himself" and try FA next year, or take guaranteed money with a great team he is comfortable on...  Lawler, Marcus Sayles, even Darby chased the extra dollars... didn't work out great for them except in the bank account.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

GOLDMEMBER

I would find it profoundly odd if Demski not resigning here especially with Zach locked down and a returning Buck as OC. I sure he owns a house here in his home town and his net take home salary would exceed going to other places.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Jesse

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on February 03, 2023, 06:31:46 PM
I would find it profoundly odd if Demski not resigning here especially with Zach locked down and a returning Buck as OC. I sure he owns a house here in his home town and his net take home salary would exceed going to other places.

Not only is it cheaper for him to stay, I don't know if I see a team offering him more than we do. I think we hold him in the highest regard.
My wife is amazing!

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Jesse on February 03, 2023, 08:16:42 PM
Not only is it cheaper for him to stay, I don't know if I see a team offering him more than we do. I think we hold him in the highest regard.
Yup Walters must know the fan base is starting to lose there **** now! :-\
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on February 03, 2023, 01:49:49 PM
NFL ELC's are over $700K. So whether you're a QB or a WR it's the same money for the minimum level. Rourke may have a higher level deal and more guarantees but the bottom rung of NFL contracts is why CFL players are interested.

Oh, I didn't know all dressed NFL players make at least $700k.  I would have guessed it would be based on position, supply/demand, and/oor merit.

If Matthews was raking in $700k/year those years he was dressing for games, then ya, it makes sense to leave for the NFL if you can get 1-3 years dressing, and you still get the hope of being a league top-5 and earning bazillions.

So then the question for Schoen would become: would he dress like Matthews did or just sit on PR, which certainly doesn't pay too much more than being a top-3 CFL receiver.
Never go full Rider!

theaardvark

Quote from: TecnoGenius on February 03, 2023, 10:57:03 PM
Oh, I didn't know all dressed NFL players make at least $700k.  I would have guessed it would be based on position, supply/demand, and/oor merit.

If Matthews was raking in $700k/year those years he was dressing for games, then ya, it makes sense to leave for the NFL if you can get 1-3 years dressing, and you still get the hope of being a league top-5 and earning bazillions.

So then the question for Schoen would become: would he dress like Matthews did or just sit on PR, which certainly doesn't pay too much more than being a top-3 CFL receiver.

"The minimum weekly wage for players with two or fewer NFL seasons is $11,500, or $207,000 for an 18-week stint on the practice squad."

That's $US, or just under a million $CAN... ;)
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Foxhound

Radically Canadian!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: theaardvark on February 03, 2023, 11:50:58 PM
"The minimum weekly wage for players with two or fewer NFL seasons is $11,500, or $207,000 for an 18-week stint on the practice squad."

That's $US, or just under a million $CAN... ;)

Players rarely sit on the PR for a full year, most of them are on and off it like a yoyo.  Nothing much happening for Schoen, he'll be fortunate if he gets a PR spot at this point IMO.