Als hire Maas as head coach

Started by The Zipp, December 17, 2022, 03:14:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Zipp

Wow.  That is a bit of a shocker...

ModAdmin

Very surprised.  Wonder how this goes over with the players, especially Eugene Lewis.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

M.O.A.B.

I dont whats Calvillo's deal with MTL but if he's free to go I want the Bombers to talk to him to be a part of our coaching staff.

the paw

I can't believe anyone is surprised by this. He was the only external interview, and Noel Thorpe was the only credible internal candidate.

Calvillo's achievements as a coach are limited.  He became the playcaller by default this year, but Khari's offence was already installed.  He has yet to have success as an OC over a full season.  Not saying he might not get there, but he hasn't yet.  And Archambault's coaching resume is thinner than Steve Dennis on the corner....
grab grass 'n growl

Pigskin

Could be a very interesting year in Montreal.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

GOLDMEMBER

Either he is a superb interview or he knows where the bodies are!

Puzzling at best.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

J5V

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on December 17, 2022, 06:32:18 PM

Puzzling at best.

Makes you appreciate even more how fortunate we are to have Mike O'Shea.
Go Bombers!

Jesse

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on December 17, 2022, 06:32:18 PM

Puzzling at best.

He and Maciocia are buddies.

It's just good ol' fashioned nepotism.
My wife is amazing!

dd

Quote from: Jesse on December 17, 2022, 10:52:43 PM
He and Maciocia are buddies.

It's just good ol' fashioned nepotism.
Exactly. This goes back to their Edmonton days together and makes sense for maciocia, he needs to have a coach he knows and trusts and is on the same page philosophically with. I think Maas has learned and moved on from his temper tantrum days, I think he ll do well in Montreal

buckzumhoff

He cant coach. Didnt he lose it coaching in edmonton. Not even a good offensive coach .  .

blue_gold_84

#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

ModAdmin

Good players don't always translate into good coaches.

It's okay to be emotional but Maas seems to lack self control and his emotions often run rampant.  I'm no psycho analyst but it seems to me you don't always make good decisions when you lack self control.  Players see it.  Other coaches take advantage of it.  It's not a good model for success.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

bluebeard

If Maas can conform his players skills to his system, he will do okay.  His problem, as I see it, is that his system comes first and the players have to conform to it.  If the skills do not match he has problems with switching.  Harris knows his system from Edmonton so that may not be a problem.  Maas plays take a long time to complete, so his OL will have to sustain their blocks longer.  Receivers have to be able to block as they are part of most passing plays.  I also think  that he will be HC and OC.  Good luck to him.

dd

Maas seemed quite composed on the sidelines since his Edmonton meltdown days, I am thinking Harris is doing cart wheels down Main Street in Montreal and the Als are going to be a force with their running game to support their passing game. Interested to see if Lewis signs there, if he does, look out.

bluebeard

Quote from: dd on December 19, 2022, 12:41:33 AM
Maas seemed quite composed on the sidelines since his Edmonton meltdown days, I am thinking Harris is doing cart wheels down Main Street in Montreal and the Als are going to be a force with their running game to support their passing game. Interested to see if Lewis signs there, if he does, look out.

Not so certain about the run game being better.  Their run coordinator coach, (Bolduc) has signed in Sask as their running backs coach.  Someone said that Harris, once the announcement was made that Maas had signed as HC, went on twitter stating that he will go to free agency.  A ploy to get more money I think.  Or else it could be uncertain times in Montreal.  Bolduc was in the mix for HC before Maas was hired.

the paw

Quote from: bluebeard on December 20, 2022, 06:30:14 PM
Not so certain about the run game being better.  Their run coordinator coach, (Bolduc) has signed in Sask as their running backs coach.  Someone said that Harris, once the announcement was made that Maas had signed as HC, went on twitter stating that he will go to free agency.  A ploy to get more money I think.  Or else it could be uncertain times in Montreal.  Bolduc was in the mix for HC before Maas was hired.

I don't know about Twitter, but his comments here seem to indicate that he may be back with the Ali....

https://montrealgazette.com/sports/football/cfl/montreal-alouettes/alouettes-made-right-head-coach-choice-quarterback-trevor-harris-says
grab grass 'n growl

theaardvark

Does Maas being in MTL reduce or increase the chances of Fajardo going there?
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: theaardvark on December 20, 2022, 10:10:09 PM

Hard to say. Maas and Harris have some history, too: they were together in Edmonton in 2019. With the latter's comments yesterday, I could see him re-signing in Montreal now that the HC position has been solidified.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: dd on December 17, 2022, 11:27:04 PM
Exactly. This goes back to their Edmonton days together and makes sense for maciocia, he needs to have a coach he knows and trusts and is on the same page philosophically with. I think Maas has learned and moved on from his temper tantrum days, I think he ll do well in Montreal

Hahaha, don't bet the farm on it.  Maas was showing plenty of emotion on the SSK sidelines when losing: crying eyes, throwing hands up in exasperation, etc.

Quote from: theaardvark on December 20, 2022, 10:10:09 PM

At first I thought Maas wants to be as far away from loser Fajardo as he can.  But... if Maas thinks Faj failing was all due to bad HCing (decisions) and GMing (personnel) then I guess weirder things could happen.  I think SSK's failing was big part Cody, big part OL, but also big part Maas.  Cody just doesn't fit Maas' crazy deep style.

I don't really see Maas being happy with T.Harris either.  MTL will have quite a conundrum.  Maybe best if Castillo puts on the cleats...

(You know who would fit in MTL quite well? ... Masoli...)
Never go full Rider!

dd

Harris will stay in Montreal and he and Lewis will do well. Wouldn?t be surprised if jones takes fajardo in Edmonton, they need to improve at the Qb position

blue_gold_84

Quote from: dd on December 21, 2022, 09:58:45 PM
Harris will stay in Montreal and he and Lewis will do well. Wouldn?t be surprised if jones takes fajardo in Edmonton, they need to improve at the Qb position

I can't see that happening based on his opinion of Fajardo. Jones seems pretty set on Cornelius, who's still young and can build off his sophomore season.

I think the Lions could make a play for Fajardo if Rourke lands a NFL contract. Adams will need a backup.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on December 22, 2022, 12:07:55 AM
I can't see that happening based on his opinion of Fajardo. Jones seems pretty set on Cornelius, who's still young and can build off his sophomore season.

I think the Lions could make a play for Fajardo if Rourke lands a NFL contract. Adams will need a backup.

Ya, Corny seems to have a lot of upside room.  We already know Fajardo's ceiling.  It was 2019.  If Corny keeps getting a bit better each year he could end up having a decent long term CFL career.  Cody should still find a starting job somewhere due to QB shortage... boy there'll be hell to pay if SSK keeps him on as their #1.  Fans will revolt the instant he sucks, which will be home game #1.
Never go full Rider!

dd

Cornelius is a marginal Qb at best, reminds me of franklin, who everyone thought was the next great Qb, thing is he peaked and levelled  off at mediocre. Elks need to find a Qb if they are going to go anywhere next year and I?d take fajardo to start next season and if Cornelius shows he can throw more TD s than picks then maybe he gets a look but I see him as franklin v2

blue_gold_84

Cornelius threw 11 TDs to 9 INTs last season.

If he's marginal, what does that make Fajardo?
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

the paw

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on December 29, 2022, 02:10:14 PM
Cornelius threw 11 TDs to 9 INTs last season.

If he's marginal, what does that make Fajardo?

I agree.  Jones was asleep on Cornelius to start the year, he didn't start until week 6.  If he had started all season, he would have topped 4000 yards.  He also improved his ball security over the prior year.  His trajectory is upwards, the opposite of Fajardo.

I don't see a team where Fajardo can start next year.  Even if Masoli were to retire, I think Ottawa would roll with Arbuckle and Caleb Evans.  Some think Fajardo will sign to back up VA on the Lions, but they already have Pipkin.
grab grass 'n growl

Jesse

I fully expected Cornelius to start the year and was flabbergasted that he wasn't their clear #1 from the start.
My wife is amazing!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: the paw on December 29, 2022, 02:36:16 PM
I agree.  Jones was asleep on Cornelius to start the year, he didn't start until week 6.  If he had started all season, he would have topped 4000 yards.  He also improved his ball security over the prior year.  His trajectory is upwards, the opposite of Fajardo.

I don't see a team where Fajardo can start next year.  Even if Masoli were to retire, I think Ottawa would roll with Arbuckle and Caleb Evans.  Some think Fajardo will sign to back up VA on the Lions, but they already have Pipkin.

Agree there is plenty of upside left for Cornelius, he's very fortunate Jones has his back, it's rare for a QB to be given so many opportunities to play and lose games until he eventually gets it.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: dd on December 29, 2022, 05:50:23 AM
Cornelius is a marginal Qb at best, reminds me of franklin, who everyone thought was the next great Qb, thing is he peaked and levelled  off at mediocre.

Maybe that would be correct if Corny had gone through the normal 4+ year CFL QB dev cycle.  But he didn't.  He basically was starting many games in his rookie year, and took over the reigns early in his 2nd year.  That's virtually unheard of in the CFL.

Franklin, like Fajardo, did the zillion-year dev cycle where they are #3 and #2 and finally get a shot and look good enough to start.

That's why I say we can't judge Corny too soon.  If he's picked up so much "CFL game" already in such a short time, think about what level he can get to!  And he has a great arm.  No one can really know, but I don't think we've seen anything definitive that points to him being a big disappointment.
Never go full Rider!

dd

Didn?t take rourke long to ?develop?, 1 season as backup then boom, wicked good.

Jesse

Quote from: dd on December 31, 2022, 04:57:25 AM
Didn?t take rourke long to ?develop?, 1 season as backup then boom, wicked good.

Obviously hard to find those guys.
My wife is amazing!

dd

NFL teams don?t seem to have a problem restocking the Qb position with guys who can either produce or they?re gone. Sticking with a guy for 2 and 3 seasons with mediocre results isn?t done, you either produce or you?re gone and next guy is up