Als hire Maas as head coach

Started by The Zipp, December 17, 2022, 03:14:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Zipp

Wow.  That is a bit of a shocker...

ModAdmin

Very surprised.  Wonder how this goes over with the players, especially Eugene Lewis.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

M.O.A.B.

I dont whats Calvillo's deal with MTL but if he's free to go I want the Bombers to talk to him to be a part of our coaching staff.

the paw

I can't believe anyone is surprised by this. He was the only external interview, and Noel Thorpe was the only credible internal candidate.

Calvillo's achievements as a coach are limited.  He became the playcaller by default this year, but Khari's offence was already installed.  He has yet to have success as an OC over a full season.  Not saying he might not get there, but he hasn't yet.  And Archambault's coaching resume is thinner than Steve Dennis on the corner....
grab grass 'n growl

Pigskin

Could be a very interesting year in Montreal.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

GOLDMEMBER

Either he is a superb interview or he knows where the bodies are!

Puzzling at best.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

J5V

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on December 17, 2022, 06:32:18 PM

Puzzling at best.

Makes you appreciate even more how fortunate we are to have Mike O'Shea.
Go Bombers!

Jesse

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on December 17, 2022, 06:32:18 PM

Puzzling at best.

He and Maciocia are buddies.

It's just good ol' fashioned nepotism.
My wife is amazing!

dd

Quote from: Jesse on December 17, 2022, 10:52:43 PM
He and Maciocia are buddies.

It's just good ol' fashioned nepotism.
Exactly. This goes back to their Edmonton days together and makes sense for maciocia, he needs to have a coach he knows and trusts and is on the same page philosophically with. I think Maas has learned and moved on from his temper tantrum days, I think he ll do well in Montreal

buckzumhoff

He cant coach. Didnt he lose it coaching in edmonton. Not even a good offensive coach .  .

blue_gold_84

#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

ModAdmin

Good players don't always translate into good coaches.

It's okay to be emotional but Maas seems to lack self control and his emotions often run rampant.  I'm no psycho analyst but it seems to me you don't always make good decisions when you lack self control.  Players see it.  Other coaches take advantage of it.  It's not a good model for success.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

bluebeard

If Maas can conform his players skills to his system, he will do okay.  His problem, as I see it, is that his system comes first and the players have to conform to it.  If the skills do not match he has problems with switching.  Harris knows his system from Edmonton so that may not be a problem.  Maas plays take a long time to complete, so his OL will have to sustain their blocks longer.  Receivers have to be able to block as they are part of most passing plays.  I also think  that he will be HC and OC.  Good luck to him.

dd

Maas seemed quite composed on the sidelines since his Edmonton meltdown days, I am thinking Harris is doing cart wheels down Main Street in Montreal and the Als are going to be a force with their running game to support their passing game. Interested to see if Lewis signs there, if he does, look out.

bluebeard

Quote from: dd on December 19, 2022, 12:41:33 AM
Maas seemed quite composed on the sidelines since his Edmonton meltdown days, I am thinking Harris is doing cart wheels down Main Street in Montreal and the Als are going to be a force with their running game to support their passing game. Interested to see if Lewis signs there, if he does, look out.

Not so certain about the run game being better.  Their run coordinator coach, (Bolduc) has signed in Sask as their running backs coach.  Someone said that Harris, once the announcement was made that Maas had signed as HC, went on twitter stating that he will go to free agency.  A ploy to get more money I think.  Or else it could be uncertain times in Montreal.  Bolduc was in the mix for HC before Maas was hired.