What's the puzzle piece for 2023?

Started by TecnoGenius, December 09, 2022, 10:47:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blue_gold_84

I can't see the Bombers letting Demski walk. He's a huge asset to the team.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Blue In BC

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on December 14, 2022, 01:56:44 PM

I just watched a game against the Elks earlier in 2022 when Demski was out. Our offence really suffered and I noticed that in other games where Demski was not able to play.

Demski is a key player in how we run our offence and is critical to our on-going success. That's true regardless of nationality. Being a Canadian and a local kid is just a bonus.

I expect him back. He'll be well paid.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on December 14, 2022, 01:56:44 PM

Its not an issue of letting Demski walk, its an issue of whether we get Lawler'd on him.  If Lawler was worth $300k to someone, you think Demski would be worth any less?  How much would our budget be for him?  I can't see going over $250k, probably wanting him in around $225...  now, how much of a "Home Town Discount" can we count on for him?  Do the GC defending champs take a run at him, after the Harris qualified success?  

Demski is probably the only puzzle piece I see for 2023, and I'm not sure we can make an offer big enough to keep him from exploring FA.  

Here is where the non-sms re-signing bonus for multi-year players to multi-year deals might come in.  If each team was given, say, $250k in extra non-sms budget (from merch sales, which should increase with player retention) to resign veteran players with 3 or more years on the team to multi-year deals... say to a max of $50k per year per player, you could sign Demski today to a $250 + $50k deal, with the $50k guaranteed for this and next year.

Keeps up to 5 players from exploring FA, totally voluntary spending (if you don't have players worth bonusing, you don't have to spend the extra $250k).

Just what the league needs to make player continuity a key.  Maybe even throw in a non-sms merch bonus for the designated players for every jersey they sell.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on December 14, 2022, 03:36:40 PM
Its not an issue of letting Demski walk, its an issue of whether we get Lawler'd on him.  If Lawler was worth $300k to someone, you think Demski would be worth any less?  How much would our budget be for him?  I can't see going over $250k, probably wanting him in around $225...  now, how much of a "Home Town Discount" can we count on for him?  Do the GC defending champs take a run at him, after the Harris qualified success?  

Demski is probably the only puzzle piece I see for 2023, and I'm not sure we can make an offer big enough to keep him from exploring FA.  

Here is where the non-sms re-signing bonus for multi-year players to multi-year deals might come in.  If each team was given, say, $250k in extra non-sms budget (from merch sales, which should increase with player retention) to resign veteran players with 3 or more years on the team to multi-year deals... say to a max of $50k per year per player, you could sign Demski today to a $250 + $50k deal, with the $50k guaranteed for this and next year.

Keeps up to 5 players from exploring FA, totally voluntary spending (if you don't have players worth bonusing, you don't have to spend the extra $250k).

Just what the league needs to make player continuity a key.  Maybe even throw in a non-sms merch bonus for the designated players for every jersey they sell.

Your non SMS re-signing bonus is nuts. Some teams struggle now with current SMS and profitability. It would allow the rich teams / owners an advantage which is WHY there is an SMS in the 1st place.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Quote from: Blue In BC on December 14, 2022, 03:46:37 PM
Your non SMS re-signing bonus is nuts. Some teams struggle now with current SMS and profitability. It would allow the rich teams / owners an advantage which is WHY there is an SMS in the 1st place.

The $250k from merch sales is meant to be revenue neutral, encouraging continuity on teams, getting fans to buy merch of those 5 players that "extra" money is being spent on.  Make it $150k for 3 players if you want... and expand it in 5 years when merch sales show the increase. 

We are trying to build loyalty to the brand.  Seat sales are down, I have no idea where merch sales are.  This is a fairly innocuous way to ensure continuity on teams by rewarding the top players to stay at home.  In some cases, you could actually save SMS using these bonuses.  SMS that could be used at the end of the year for re-signings...   

We're talking 5% of the total SMS, and building other revenues in the process.  IF the league bumped the actual SMS 5%, very team would find the budget to pay it... SMS does make it a level playing field, and would continue to do so in this case. 

What it might prevent is teams that can't afford it chasing after $300k WR's or $240K OG's... by taking those players out of the FA sphere.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.