What's the puzzle piece for 2023?

Started by TecnoGenius, December 09, 2022, 10:47:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

Pre-2019 we saw KW finding the 1 or 2 "puzzle pieces" each year to fill the holes the team showed the year(s) before.  He managed it to perfection.  Thus the 2 cups.

We got to rest on our laurels a bit for 2021 and 2022, but the failure of the team in the GC leads me to think KW will be back in puzzle-piece mode.  And the focus isn't so much on the regular season as it is on what stopped our playoff run, as they are often two separate things.

Standing back and looking at the GC from a distance, here are my 3 takes on this year's puzzle:

1. We need to be better at stopping the run.  This is far and away the most critical piece.  Letting AJ Omelette saunter into the EZ twice, mostly untouched, in the biggest game is truly an embarrassment.  And out on the edge!  Ugh.  It makes me want to cry.

That means we need upgrades/changes at DL and LB.  I think not having Wilson may have been a huge part of this.  Maybe having a weaker set of DTs meant the DEs had to focus more on B/C gaps instead of contain.  Who was spying AJ on these plays?  No one?  Where was BA?  Why was Jeffcoat injured (unheard of for a Bomber in a GC) for that final TD play?  No one player is to blame.  The entire D brokedown on those plays.

And how did we let Kelly run for 19 when a stop would probably have won the game?

My guess is we'll have to investigate what we're doing with Jeffcoat if he's going to be in the tub half the season and then again at critical moments.  We'll have to solve the WILL situation either with Wilson or without.  We'll have to make some changes at DT.  It may not require canning guys, it may just be matter of better quality depth.

2. Leggs.  No, he didn't cause that last minute FG miss.  And I think it would have gone in (I've frame-stepped that 2 seconds dozens of times).  But he did miss the PATs, as he has many times in the year, and as others document, his KOs are always shorter than league average.  I consider this a far distant second issue to #1, but if you want to look at leading causes of the GC-loss, you have to at least think over your kicker options.  Maybe that means splitting kicking duties in 2023.  Or we continue to watch (and hope) Leggs develop.  Which I'm ok with.

3. O.  If you really want to be critical, the O stunk in the GC.  But they were stellar all year, so I'm inclined to ignore it as a puzzle-piece.  You're allowed to have a bad game.  TOR called the perfect game and exploited every weakness.  But our weakness wasn't really personnel, it was scheme.  Buck planned a bad game.

No unit was poor, they just didn't gel when we needed it.  OL was good, but TOR brought +1 so we whiffed.  Not OL's fault.  Brady was stellar, no problems there.  Zach did his usual one-INT, and was pretty much shutdown on the deep pass, but that's not really on Zach.  WRs were good and even GE2 made a great play.  So I don't think we see any big change on O, but they don't go blameless.  The likely scenario is we pass on GE2 and lose Schoen to NFL and thus need some quality replacements.  I just mention O in this thread as it did factor into our GC loss.

Bonus: Boudreau... that kick-rush blocking breakdown on the final FG was due to bad scheme and personnel and it was drawn up by Boudreau.  Do we let him learn from the the mistake or might we be looking at a new STC??

What are your puzzle pieces for 2023?
Never go full Rider!

J5V

That Toronto team was stacked and we still almost beat them because we were a better team. If you play by the rules, which the Bombers do, you can only do so much. The best team doesn't always win. Walters will field the best collection of coaches and players he can manage within the rules. I don't believe he will bend the rules and gamble the future just to field a stacked team for a shot at winning. We have been at or near the top of the league for many seasons now and I don't see that changing.
Go Bombers!

pjrocksmb

Retain OL
Keep Hall
Keep Zach healthy
Draft well
Find a couple gems at camp like we always do
Maintain the culture at all costs

TecnoGenius

Quote from: J5V on December 09, 2022, 11:32:02 PM
Walters will field the best collection of coaches and players he can manage within the rules. I don't believe he will bend the rules and gamble the future just to field a stacked team for a shot at winning.

It's not a matter of that.  It's just a thread to speculate what the "major move" might be this FA.

The previous years' puzzle-pieces to fill specific shortcomings, at an acquisition rate of 1-2 per year, were like this: (you can fill in the precise years)

Medlock
Harris
Nichols
Bighill
Willie

It very well could be we stand pat and feel we don't need any major puzzle-pieces: just bring in some new Alfords & Schoens to fill normal attrition holes.

But my gut feeling is because of the clearly-earned GC loss that we are back into puzzle-piece mode.  And for me, this year, it's run-stopping.  That could be as simple as getting best-in-league lockdown WILL.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: pjrocksmb on December 10, 2022, 12:50:29 AM
Retain OL
Keep Hall
Keep Zach healthy
Draft well
Find a couple gems at camp like we always do

Maintain the culture at all costs

Agree on all.  But most of what you said is "keep the status quo", which is totally necessary and I agree.  And I think we will.  The highlighted above could be part of the puzzle-pieces, but you really never know with ELC IMPs and DPs.

Do you have any thoughts about them making a FA splash on a known-quantity player at some key position?  What do you feel is the position we're weakest at?
Never go full Rider!

TBURGESS

We're not going to make a big FA splash. We're a vet team with a ton of very highly paid players. We're up against the SMS. In fact, I bet we lose some players in FA to teams who can pay them more like Lawler last year. We'll be looking for young guys with upside who we can get for a 'Winnipeg price'.
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

Jesse

I don't know if I'd call them puzzle pieces at this point - we have been far and away the best team in the league for the last two seasons. There's nothing to fix, it's about replacing whatever holes appear after FA and continuing to restock the pipeline for potential future losses.

You absolutely cannot look at one game and make changes based on the outcome.

But, to your points:

1. Run game

We were really hampered by injury at LB. Luck of the draw. I was personally expecting Wilson to have an all-star/MODP kind of year, It didn't happen. So hopefully he is back next year. Re-signing Darby this time would be cool, but SMS. I think I expect Jeffcoat in his usual place.

One thing I will say it, we need to do better at game day roster management. Too often, the Jeffs are playing the whole game without someone to rotate them in and out.

2. Leggs

Once again, there weren't too many other kickers who did a better job than Leggs. You have to ask what replacing him would look like. There isn't a Medlock sitting there you can over pay, even if you wanted to make cuts to other parts of the roster.

He does all three jobs - which may hamper his abilities a bit, but provides roster flexibility elsewhere.

We may bring in a Global to "compete" for one of the roles, but this wasn;t the source of weakness that some assume it to be.

3. O

Like you, inclined to ignore it, other than the usual off season demands or re-signing out guys and looking for the next rookie game breaker.

I  think we played well enough to win, but made the coaching mistake[/u] of not leaning on the run when Brady was starting to heat up. Got too cute and lost the game, imo.
My wife is amazing!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TBURGESS on December 10, 2022, 02:35:44 PM
We're not going to make a big FA splash. We're a vet team with a ton of very highly paid players. We're up against the SMS. In fact, I bet we lose some players in FA to teams who can pay them more like Lawler last year. We'll be looking for young guys with upside who we can get for a 'Winnipeg price'.

Have to agree, no money for big F.A. signings but Walters may still pick up some under the radar players for supporting roles. I suspect the D-line may receive some reinforcing but both the LB's and secondary are well stocked for next season unless they lose key players like Wilson.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on December 10, 2022, 03:07:12 PM
Have to agree, no money for big F.A. signings but Walters may still pick up some under the radar players for supporting roles. I suspect the D-line may receive some reinforcing but both the LB's and secondary are well stocked for next season unless they lose key players like Wilson.

I would disagree that we're in great shape at LB. Even if we re-sign Wilson his rehab curve may extend into 2023. At the moment he's a potential free agent. Cole may be a development player. Maruo is a potential free agent and Cooper didn't play much.

Darby might bolt for more money elsewhere but I hope he returns. Briggs and Gauthier are potential free agents.

So WIL and SAM are in doubt and so is depth at the moment.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Jesse

Yeah, we really only have Biggie at LB.

And his effectiveness has probably been limited by the transience around him.
My wife is amazing!

the paw

Kyrie Wilson looked great in 2019, and half of 2021, but let's remember a couple of things.  He didn't break out until his third year.

I don't think Kyle Walters budgets to spend much on his WIL spot, and I think he sees that as a spot where he is constantly working new talent in.  I think we let Santos-Knox go because he no longer fit the budget when he became a top notch LB.

Kyrie might still fit in next year, but it is also likely that Malik Clements will be expected to round into form and have a breakout year in 2023, with Cooper as the LB-in-waiting. 

I agree with others who feel that we are unlikely to make much of a splash in free agency this year.  Although I like Darby, I think he will be too expensive to retain.   
grab grass 'n growl

Blue In BC

Clements might develop into a quality WIL. It's really too early to tell about Cooper because we didn't see him much in 2022. Cole did relatively well as an ST play so that's encouraging IMO. IIRC that's how Santos-Knox got his start.

All I'm saying is that there are questions due to free agency and some injury issues from 2022. There will be some competition in TC.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

dd

The missing puzzle piece is easy- a reliable place kicker who can consistently put points on the board when called upon. That?s it.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on December 10, 2022, 04:05:12 PM
I would disagree that we're in great shape at LB. Even if we re-sign Wilson his rehab curve may extend into 2023. At the moment he's a potential free agent. Cole may be a development player. Maruo is a potential free agent and Cooper didn't play much.

Darby might bolt for more money elsewhere but I hope he returns. Briggs and Gauthier are potential free agents.

So WIL and SAM are in doubt and so is depth at the moment.

Bighill is back for a year or two more, and I'm pretty confident Wilson will return to form quickly and re-establish himself as one of the best WIL LB's in the league. I'm also confident after his experience in Hamilton, Darby will re-sign. 

Behind those 3, Kramdi  and Rutledge (if they bring him back) established themselves as solid replacements and there are a number of imports coming back for their second year that will continue pushing from below. There may be some attrition of Natl. depth at LB due to retirement, but no reason those positions have to be filled with Natl's as there is a bit more ratio flexibility in other areas now. Bringing the Herdman-Reed twins home would also be a quick fix to replenishing Natl. depth if it becomes depleted, they are both Rider F.A.'s.

Blue In BC

Still curious why Rutledge fell off the radar. Possibly a medical condition that came up? Nothing to base that on aside from going from starter to off the entire roster even PR.  That's unusual. In any case I hope he is well if that was the case.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Horseman

With Rutledge the way things ended so abruptly here, it probably was a Fit In or "F" off (FIFO) scenario. He must have said or did something that put him on the outs. He has talent and will resurface some where.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Horseman on December 12, 2022, 12:50:59 AM
With Rutledge the way things ended so abruptly here, it probably was a Fit In or "F" off (FIFO) scenario. He must have said or did something that put him on the outs. He has talent and will resurface some where.
I think it was related to this reason as well.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: TBURGESS on December 10, 2022, 02:35:44 PM

Ok, if no "big FA splash" then maybe we do one or three Ellingson-type FA deals?  Aging, proven vets we can get at a discount?  Any available FAs at DT, DE or WILL?

No need for WILL if Wilson can stay, and be 100% and we retain Clements for depth.  But I think the lack of Kongbo / Hansen on DL really hurt us in the GC.  The 2 J's were getting gassed and then had big problems when Jeffcoat was relegated to the table.  There were a few TOR run plays on 2nd down where our Cheetah formation (J & J + Kongbo + Hansen) probably would have gotten a stop instead of huge gains and TDs.

Quote from: Blue In BC on December 11, 2022, 05:38:46 PM
Still curious why Rutledge fell off the radar. Possibly a medical condition that came up? Nothing to base that on aside from going from starter to off the entire roster even PR.  That's unusual. In any case I hope he is well if that was the case.

I think Rutledge got injured but then when he was OK we didn't slot him back in.  It was odd at the time.  Ya, maybe a FIFO, but maybe we were happy with what we had and he still wasn't 100%?  The tell will be what happens to him in the off-season.  Rutledge was a great SAM most of the season; basically a Darby clone IMHO.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on December 10, 2022, 03:05:06 PM
You absolutely cannot look at one game and make changes based on the outcome.

I don't know.  In '15, '16, '17 and '18 we looked at our final post-season game, looked at why we lost, and often directly addressed that with a signing the following year.

One thing I will say it, we need to do better at game day roster management. Too often, the Jeffs are playing the whole game without someone to rotate them in and out.

This, and it meant little to no "cheetah" formation.  You would have to think we get some more DT/DE talent for maximum flexibility.  That might include NAT and GLOB DL pickups.  Though we could also still DI some DL.  In hindsight we should have DI'd some more DL for the GC.  The DBs basically weren't even a factor that game because no one was throwing deep.

think we played well enough to win, but made the coaching mistake[/u] of not leaning on the run when Brady was starting to heat up. Got too cute and lost the game, imo.

Oh we for sure could have won, but in no way would we have deserved it.  So many TDs and first downs and drives were basically gimmees by poor TOR discipline.  We weren't owning the field like we did in so many games before.  And we didn't win the line battles.  And Zach was off... and ... and... To me the only guys/units who truly did their job that night were the DBs (all burns were great throws where MBT got punished and great catches), and Brady.

Ah, to have seen what Brady could have done on 2nd & 5 on the final drive... If AH was still here, I'm thinking Buck would have given it to him for that play.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on December 12, 2022, 04:18:30 AM
I think it was related to this reason as well.

But does that then mean we're letting the "room" make the roster decisions??  Do the guys tell MOS that so-and-so doesn't FI so MOS/KW has to tell them to FO?

That would be a strange and potentially dangerous way to run a roster.  Chain of command, and all that.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

I want to clarify: when I said "stopping the run" about the GC, I really mean those 2 AJ TDs and the Kelly 19 yarder.  Maybe you could add the AH first run too... maybe.  But I need to add that our D was actually very stout against the run the rest of the night!  We basically forced them into a short/mid pass mode where MBT would stand in and take hellacious hits to get a completion.  So in that sense we did a great job stopping the run.

It was those AJ TDs out on the edge and Kelly that exposed our main weaknesses.  And that's contain.  And that is on the DEs and the LBers, and probably FS, and to a much lesser extent, the DTs/DBs.  Again, I think the Cheetah group + Wilson would have stopped AJ and Kelly.  And maybe Stove would have brought down Kelly where Lawson (or was it Walker?) whiffed.

Did we have problems with contain in-season too?  I don't recall.  I guess some teams were taking advantage of running on the weak side.  I wonder... what did MTL do in the game they beat us?  Maybe TOR just watched that for pointers.  Time to get out the PVR...

In any event, whatever puzzle piece can buy us "contain", might be the main piece we need to obtain in FA.
Never go full Rider!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on December 12, 2022, 04:23:13 AM
Ok, if no "big FA splash" then maybe we do one or three Ellingson-type FA deals?  Aging, proven vets we can get at a discount?  Any available FAs at DT, DE or WILL?

No need for WILL if Wilson can stay, and be 100% and we retain Clements for depth.  But I think the lack of Kongbo / Hansen on DL really hurt us in the GC.  The 2 J's were getting gassed and then had big problems when Jeffcoat was relegated to the table.  There were a few TOR run plays on 2nd down where our Cheetah formation (J & J + Kongbo + Hansen) probably would have gotten a stop instead of huge gains and TDs.

I think Rutledge got injured but then when he was OK we didn't slot him back in.  It was odd at the time.  Ya, maybe a FIFO, but maybe we were happy with what we had and he still wasn't 100%?  The tell will be what happens to him in the off-season.  Rutledge was a great SAM most of the season; basically a Darby clone IMHO.

Hansen is signed for next season, so they really only need a stout DT and Kongbo or his replacement.  Where is he at with the NFL these days?

Sir Blue and Gold

On the one hand, if we had won the Grey Cup would we be looking for a "puzzle piece" or just trying to keep everyone together like past cup runs? Every year is different. Last year's team was the best in the league and could have easily won the Grey Cup. So, there is no need go looking for something that is missing. I think all the usual off-season best practices apply. We need to figure out where we had good value for SMS dollars and what didn't work out. After that, we need to determine whether we will get a different result next year. Two examples: Winston Rose has lost a step at corner and there's probably no coming back from that. He would have also been expensive. Bad deal for us. We need to get younger and faster there. Jeffcoat had a pretty terrible year but I'd roll the dice on him again. He'll be 32 next year but usually a defensive end can play at that age. Especially one who is usually as good as him.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on December 12, 2022, 05:23:31 PM
Hansen is signed for next season, so they really only need a stout DT and Kongbo or his replacement.  Where is he at with the NFL these days?
Not sure which team but I am sure he is languishing on someone?s practise roster.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

blue_gold_84

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on December 12, 2022, 07:17:48 PM
Not sure which team but I am sure he is languishing on someone?s practise roster.

He's currently on the Broncos' practice squad but I highly doubt he's languishing.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

the paw

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on December 12, 2022, 07:31:49 PM
He's currently on the Broncos' practice squad but I highly doubt he's languishing.

He has made the active roster for 2 games this year, in weeks 5 & 8, and registered a couple of tackles.  So I would agree that he isn't languishing, he is developing.  I would not expect him back in the CFL for 2023.
grab grass 'n growl

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on December 12, 2022, 05:56:59 PM
On the one hand, if we had won the Grey Cup would we be looking for a "puzzle piece" or just trying to keep everyone together like past cup runs? Every year is different. Last year's team was the best in the league and could have easily won the Grey Cup. So, there is no need go looking for something that is missing.

Ya, you could be right, and that might be the approach this off-season.  The Fatboi signing could indicate that.

But there's still lots of time to see changes at DL and WILL.  And I'm curious to see what we do with Ellingson.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: TecnoGenius on December 12, 2022, 04:30:34 AM
To me the only guys/units who truly did their job that night were the DBs (all burns were great throws where MBT got punished and great catches), and Brady.

Oh ya, gotta add Grant to that short list of top good/great performers in the GC.  Even with losing, I'll never forget the excitement and satisfaction of that Grant return.  The Sask fans were saying it was over at that point.
Never go full Rider!

theaardvark

After a third GC appearance, winning 2, not sure what puzzle piece you can be looking for.

I have no doubt we will lose a couple pieces, maybe pick up one to replace, and that our recruits will yield another Streveler or Schoen...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on December 13, 2022, 10:59:20 PM
After a third GC appearance, winning 2, not sure what puzzle piece you can be looking for.

I have no doubt we will lose a couple pieces, maybe pick up one to replace, and that our recruits will yield another Streveler or Schoen...

Ya, that's the risk of being in GCs so much.  However, maybe there's the silver lining with losing this year??  If we had won that third cup you'd think teams would be hitting up every one of our players with $300k offers  :D

It might give us a reprieve with retention, as well as fuel the hunger for guys to stay with the team to get a "revenge" GC.  I'm optimistic we keep nearly everyone we want.  The big pieces are already in place, and the rest will follow.  Strangely, the only one I remotely worry about is Demski, because he's been chirping a bit, and is probably miffed he didn't get much GC action.
Never go full Rider!

blue_gold_84

I can't see the Bombers letting Demski walk. He's a huge asset to the team.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Blue In BC

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on December 14, 2022, 01:56:44 PM

I just watched a game against the Elks earlier in 2022 when Demski was out. Our offence really suffered and I noticed that in other games where Demski was not able to play.

Demski is a key player in how we run our offence and is critical to our on-going success. That's true regardless of nationality. Being a Canadian and a local kid is just a bonus.

I expect him back. He'll be well paid.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on December 14, 2022, 01:56:44 PM

Its not an issue of letting Demski walk, its an issue of whether we get Lawler'd on him.  If Lawler was worth $300k to someone, you think Demski would be worth any less?  How much would our budget be for him?  I can't see going over $250k, probably wanting him in around $225...  now, how much of a "Home Town Discount" can we count on for him?  Do the GC defending champs take a run at him, after the Harris qualified success?  

Demski is probably the only puzzle piece I see for 2023, and I'm not sure we can make an offer big enough to keep him from exploring FA.  

Here is where the non-sms re-signing bonus for multi-year players to multi-year deals might come in.  If each team was given, say, $250k in extra non-sms budget (from merch sales, which should increase with player retention) to resign veteran players with 3 or more years on the team to multi-year deals... say to a max of $50k per year per player, you could sign Demski today to a $250 + $50k deal, with the $50k guaranteed for this and next year.

Keeps up to 5 players from exploring FA, totally voluntary spending (if you don't have players worth bonusing, you don't have to spend the extra $250k).

Just what the league needs to make player continuity a key.  Maybe even throw in a non-sms merch bonus for the designated players for every jersey they sell.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on December 14, 2022, 03:36:40 PM
Its not an issue of letting Demski walk, its an issue of whether we get Lawler'd on him.  If Lawler was worth $300k to someone, you think Demski would be worth any less?  How much would our budget be for him?  I can't see going over $250k, probably wanting him in around $225...  now, how much of a "Home Town Discount" can we count on for him?  Do the GC defending champs take a run at him, after the Harris qualified success?  

Demski is probably the only puzzle piece I see for 2023, and I'm not sure we can make an offer big enough to keep him from exploring FA.  

Here is where the non-sms re-signing bonus for multi-year players to multi-year deals might come in.  If each team was given, say, $250k in extra non-sms budget (from merch sales, which should increase with player retention) to resign veteran players with 3 or more years on the team to multi-year deals... say to a max of $50k per year per player, you could sign Demski today to a $250 + $50k deal, with the $50k guaranteed for this and next year.

Keeps up to 5 players from exploring FA, totally voluntary spending (if you don't have players worth bonusing, you don't have to spend the extra $250k).

Just what the league needs to make player continuity a key.  Maybe even throw in a non-sms merch bonus for the designated players for every jersey they sell.

Your non SMS re-signing bonus is nuts. Some teams struggle now with current SMS and profitability. It would allow the rich teams / owners an advantage which is WHY there is an SMS in the 1st place.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Quote from: Blue In BC on December 14, 2022, 03:46:37 PM
Your non SMS re-signing bonus is nuts. Some teams struggle now with current SMS and profitability. It would allow the rich teams / owners an advantage which is WHY there is an SMS in the 1st place.

The $250k from merch sales is meant to be revenue neutral, encouraging continuity on teams, getting fans to buy merch of those 5 players that "extra" money is being spent on.  Make it $150k for 3 players if you want... and expand it in 5 years when merch sales show the increase. 

We are trying to build loyalty to the brand.  Seat sales are down, I have no idea where merch sales are.  This is a fairly innocuous way to ensure continuity on teams by rewarding the top players to stay at home.  In some cases, you could actually save SMS using these bonuses.  SMS that could be used at the end of the year for re-signings...   

We're talking 5% of the total SMS, and building other revenues in the process.  IF the league bumped the actual SMS 5%, very team would find the budget to pay it... SMS does make it a level playing field, and would continue to do so in this case. 

What it might prevent is teams that can't afford it chasing after $300k WR's or $240K OG's... by taking those players out of the FA sphere.