Off Season News - Other CFL Teams

Started by ModAdmin, December 02, 2022, 04:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RyGuy13

Rider bringing back DT Micah Johnson
At SB, #85..MILT STEEEGAAALLLL

theaardvark

So, Elks sigh QB Vinnie Testaverde...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on February 13, 2023, 01:44:04 PM
I will die on the hill that if you have a poor OL, you want a guy with a quick release, not a mobile QB.

CoFaj ran into all his sacks trying to run around. T. Harris will just get it out of there.

Could be.  Maybe you need a bit of both (quick and mobile).  Ya, Cody never learned the Nichols throw-away tactic, which may have saved Nichols from looking like Cody out there sometimes.  But at least Nichols could hit the deep ball and read a D...

But if you rely on quick release for your bad OL, then you need an OC who gets it.  Maas never did get it.  The ironic thing is McAdoo did...
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: pjrocksmb on February 14, 2023, 03:33:51 AM
https://www.tsn.ca/cfl/edmonton-elks-release-canadian-running-back-ante-litre-month-after-extension-1.1918856

Is this legal per CFL rules??  Do they still have to pay him something?  If Litre didn't want that, surely there must be some protection built in for players.  This would screw up their tamper-week offers (i.e. they wouldn't get any).  This would strike me as uncommon, and shady.  Leave it to C.Jones...
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on February 14, 2023, 06:55:49 AM
Is this legal per CFL rules??  Do they still have to pay him something?  If Litre didn't want that, surely there must be some protection built in for players.  This would screw up their tamper-week offers (i.e. they wouldn't get any).  This would strike me as uncommon, and shady.  Leave it to C.Jones...

Yes it's legal and not a surprising thing for Jones to do. A player that signs an extension early is still able to see if he gets offers in the tampering window. Elks have already released 3 or 4 players and we'll see more of the same as Jones tinkers in the months before TC.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

the paw

Quote from: Blue In BC on February 14, 2023, 01:03:33 PM
Yes it's legal and not a surprising thing for Jones to do. A player that signs an extension early is still able to see if he gets offers in the tampering window. Elks have already released 3 or 4 players and we'll see more of the same as Jones tinkers in the months before TC.

I don't think that's true.  A player who signs an extension removes themselves from the legal tampering process, which is only open to players with expiring deals.  A player can talk terms with his existing team and then still take offers, but once he signs, he's committed.

I agree that this is typical for Jones.  He paid a huge bonus to extend Arbuckle before the season, and then immediately set out trying to find anyone else to play QB.  I think he's very impulsive.
grab grass 'n growl

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: the paw on February 14, 2023, 06:09:06 PM
I don't think that's true.  A player who signs an extension removes themselves from the legal tampering process, which is only open to players with expiring deals.  A player can talk terms with his existing team and then still take offers, but once he signs, he's committed.

I agree that this is typical for Jones.  He paid a huge bonus to extend Arbuckle before the season, and then immediately set out trying to find anyone else to play QB.  I think he's very impulsive.

Jones has a lot of irons in the fire, always looking for new talent and when they agree to come, he has to make room for them QUICKLY.  Not a bad thing for the CFL, he brings in a lot of new players and keeps things lively.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: the paw on February 14, 2023, 06:09:06 PM

That's what I would have thought.  If so, maybe this needs to be in the CBA.  Maybe it's not because no one would have thought of being such a d head before C.Jones.

A player should have protection if he's just re-signed and he stops shopping around and then a couple weeks later the team drops him without cause?  How many offers did he miss because teams thought he was locked up?
Never go full Rider!