DEMSKI

Nice to re-sign but better options might be available at FA:
PRUKOP, GRANT, SAYLES, BAILEY, ADAMS, BRIGGS, DARBY

Nice to re-sign but options already existing within:
COUTURE

I'll pass:
ELLINGSON, MARUO, MASTON, TAYLOR

Pigskin

Demski is a must. Prukop, Grant, Sayles, Bailey, and Darby, all would be nice. Couture at the right price.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Blue In BC

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on January 25, 2023, 07:14:58 PM
My take on remaining 13 FAs

Absolutely must sign:
DEMSKI

Nice to re-sign but better options might be available at FA:
PRUKOP, GRANT, SAYLES, BAILEY, ADAMS, BRIGGS, DARBY

Nice to re-sign but options already existing within:
COUTURE

I'll pass:
ELLINGSON, MARUO, MASTON, TAYLOR

There may be better options in free agency but will we be able to sign them if they reach free agency. Bird in hand is better than 2 in the bush.  I don't know if we'll be able to compete getting Richardson back and SMS is going to be high.

Grant has 6 return TD's in 33 regular season games. Who might be better in free agency? SMS might be an issue but I want him back.

Sayles played well and seemed to get better as the season progressed. I expect he will return but there might be some thoughts in free agency.

Maruo was our 2nd best Global player. We do get Hansen back but I don't see much value in any of the other global players at the moment.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pete on January 25, 2023, 02:04:01 PM
maybe he's pulling a Lawler and seeing if
tbere are teams out there that want to bid for his services

I saw some interviews and read some articles that would hint Demski may want to look at getting paid Lawler $$ in FA.  No one said anything, but that's the general read I got from his demeanour.  I do not feel like he's a slam dunk for WPG.  I hope I'm wrong.

Is Demski miffed he barely got any looks in the GC?  He's our superstar explosion play guy and we virtually ignored him.

I have nothing solid to go on for any of this, it's just my impression and speculation.  I hope we read tomorrow that he re-signed.
Never go full Rider!

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: TecnoGenius on January 25, 2023, 11:21:45 PM
I saw some interviews and read some articles that would hint Demski may want to look at getting paid Lawler $$ in FA.  No one said anything, but that's the general read I got from his demeanour.  I do not feel like he's a slam dunk for WPG.  I hope I'm wrong.

Is Demski miffed he barely got any looks in the GC?  He's our superstar explosion play guy and we virtually ignored him.

I have nothing solid to go on for any of this, it's just my impression and speculation.  I hope we read tomorrow that he re-signed.

Demski is obviously a fantastic Canadian receiver but everyone has a price and if he wants anything close to Lawler money then I would pass.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on January 26, 2023, 12:48:10 PM
Demski is obviously a fantastic Canadian receiver but everyone has a price and if he wants anything close to Lawler money then I would pass.

Even Lawler might not be getting 2022 Lawler money. That's still up in the air. However I agree we can't be paying that kind of money.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Blue In BC on January 26, 2023, 01:03:31 PM
Even Lawler might not be getting 2022 Lawler money. That's still up in the air. However I agree we can't be paying that kind of money.

Fair. I just mean he's obviously our most important player still not signed but even he shouldn't have a blank cheque. For example, hypothetically, I would rather have Lawler over Demski and make up the ratio somewhere else, if we get into that kind of cash.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on January 26, 2023, 01:13:07 PM
Fair. I just mean he's obviously our most important player still not signed but even he shouldn't have a blank cheque. For example, hypothetically, I would rather have Lawler over Demski and make up the ratio somewhere else, if we get into that kind of cash.

Tough call when it comes down to ratio considerations. Lawler is a different kind of receiver and I'd say more of a pure deep threat and high point catch guy. Demski is also used in our running game

We struggled with finding good ratio options as depth in 2022, particularly on defence. On offence O'Leary-Orange looked to have upside.

Whether we make up the ratio somewhere in free agency is possible but an unknown question / risk. Timing of what happens with options once free agency happens is not something I look forward to. That applies to any player we might lose against what player we might gain.

Hopefully he does re-sign shortly. At the moment he's our biggest potential free agent IMO.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Blue In BC on January 26, 2023, 01:34:43 PM
Tough call when it comes down to ratio considerations. Lawler is a different kind of receiver and I'd say more of a pure deep threat and high point catch guy. Demski is also used in our running game

We struggled with finding good ratio options as depth in 2022, particularly on defence. On offence O'Leary-Orange looked to have upside.

Whether we make up the ratio somewhere in free agency is possible but an unknown question / risk. Timing of what happens with options once free agency happens is not something I look forward to. That applies to any player we might lose against what player we might gain.

Hopefully he does re-sign shortly. At the moment he's our biggest potential free agent IMO.

Not having Demski leaves you two obvious solutions: Having Wolitarsky and O'Leary-Orange both start. Or probably a better option: starting a Canadian safety and going with four imports at receiver. In 2023 that could look something like: Schoen, Bailey, Agudosi, Wolitarsky and another big import option with Demski's cash, Lawler, Lewis or something like that.

As good as Alexander is, I'm not sure how sustainable starting 6 Canadians is on offense indefinitely. Collaros isn't going to be superman forever. He is going to have to transition into more of a stationary pocket passer as he ages and he'll need plenty of weapons to help that transition.

Pigskin

Quote from: Blue In BC on January 26, 2023, 01:03:31 PM

I have never read or saw an interview where ND10 says he is looking for that kind of money.. It's all speculation. However I do believe ND10 is the best Canadian receiver in the CFL and probably looking for a 3 year deal, and would like to stay right here in Winnipeg where he works and lives in the off season. 

VictorRomano

If we can't sign Demski, I'd make a run at Gittens Jr (although he'll probably command a Demski-sized paycheque).  Barring that, I'd be OK with Lewis or Lawler.  None will come cheap, but I think you need to replace quality with quality.

Horseman

I have no inside information, but I feel that Demski will re-sign here without a doubt.

Pigskin

About 18 days left before FA starts. Lot's of time left to sign 5 or 6 more players.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on January 26, 2023, 01:49:35 PM

Not having Demski leaves you two obvious solutions: Having Wolitarsky and O'Leary-Orange both start. Or probably a better option: starting a Canadian safety and going with four imports at receiver. In 2023 that could look something like: Schoen, Bailey, Agudosi, Wolitarsky and another big import option with Demski's cash, Lawler, Lewis or something like that.

As good as Alexander is, I'm not sure how sustainable starting 6 Canadians is on offense indefinitely. Collaros isn't going to be superman forever. He is going to have to transition into more of a stationary pocket passer as he ages and he'll need plenty of weapons to help that transition.

It's fun to speculate about quality players like Lewis or Lawler. They could end up anywhere but at the moment I doubt they leave their current teams. Ditto for Demski. However, in theory they all could end up elsewhere.

I agree with the ratio alternatives you suggest based on our current roster. Both would be down grades and depth behind each would be in question. We might make a splash in free agency that changes our ratio regardless of what happens with Demski.

Not starting Alexander in particular isn't something I want to see.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on January 26, 2023, 01:49:35 PM
Not having Demski leaves you two obvious solutions: Having Wolitarsky and O'Leary-Orange both start.

I say we have to have Demski.  I often watched other teams' "3 keys to the game" videos on the other team websites in-season before we played them.  Almost every time the big key was "stop Demski".  It was literally the #1 concern on opposing D's minds.  They didn't care about Schoen, or Ellingson.  It was Demski.

After losing Lawler, I don't see how you start a WPG 2023 O without Demski in the slot.

I see no reason not to pay Demski $200k if he'll commit to a 2 or 3 year.  I could see other teams easily going $225 to poach him.  Over $250 will be hard to justify.  I don't think any WR/SB will get $300 this year.
Never go full Rider!