Off Season News - Blue Bombers

Started by ModAdmin, December 01, 2022, 05:11:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theaardvark

Quote from: TBURGESS on December 02, 2022, 03:35:45 PM
A dozen teams interested in Schoen? I think you're mixing Schoen & Rourke up.

You may be right... I get confused easily, the problem with getting old...

https://www.tsn.ca/cfl/video/schoen-expected-to-pursue-nfl-opportunities-after-dominant-rookie-season~2567373

Probably mixed this and the Rourke reports up...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: theaardvark on December 02, 2022, 03:44:37 PM
You may be right... I get confused easily, the problem with getting old...

https://www.tsn.ca/cfl/video/schoen-expected-to-pursue-nfl-opportunities-after-dominant-rookie-season~2567373

Probably mixed this and the Rourke reports up...
one thing he did say was he would rather be playing in  "meaningful" games than being a spectator.    Obviously his stock value will have risen after the season he's had here yet he also knows the realities of making it as a starter in the NFL.
IF he stays here, he would command a significant pay raise for that to happen and I'm sure KW would make room for that to happen.   Perhaps not Kenny Lawler money however it would have to be competitive knowing what his stock value would be for any other CFL team
Bomber fan for life

theaardvark

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on December 02, 2022, 04:07:32 PM
one thing he did say was he would rather be playing in  "meaningful" games than being a spectator.    Obviously his stock value will have risen after the season he's had here yet he also knows the realities of making it as a starter in the NFL.
IF he stays here, he would command a significant pay raise for that to happen and I'm sure KW would make room for that to happen.   Perhaps not Kenny Lawler money however it would have to be competitive knowing what his stock value would be for any other CFL team

If he stays here he still has a year on his ELC, not sure what kind of pay bump is allowed.  I'd be all for giving him top receiver pay, but we also have Demski to consider in that budget...  and potentially a replacement for Ellingson or even Bailey...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on December 02, 2022, 04:14:14 PM
If he stays here he still has a year on his ELC, not sure what kind of pay bump is allowed.  I'd be all for giving him top receiver pay, but we also have Demski to consider in that budget...  and potentially a replacement for Ellingson or even Bailey...

I don't think he'll get a raise without a significant time extension. Just adding one more year more than 2023 creates the same problem in 2024. So I think a new contract for 2023 to 2025 would work for both sides. Something with some added incentives as well as base pay.

The fly in the ointment is the cumulative impact of 27 free agents that we have. Many deserve more but you can only cut the pie in so many ways.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: theaardvark on December 02, 2022, 03:29:40 PM
There were reports that there were a dozen teams interested in Schoen, and that he had workouts scheduled with two....

Do NFL teams need to request from Walters the ability to talk to players under contract about interest during the "NFL window"?  

When is the official "NFL window"?  

Wondering why there are contradictory statements from Walters, re: deal being done with O'Shea and interest in Schoen.  I understand that his statements may be "factual", but are they misleading?

Reporter question followup, "You stated that no one has requested to try out Schoen, but does the information you have make you anticipate NFL teams will be approaching him during the NFL window, and if they wish to sign him, will you be granting his release per league practice?"

Walters answered all your questions in the interview below.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2022/12/01/kyle-walters-december-1-2022/

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: BlueGold8597 on December 02, 2022, 02:58:16 PM
This.
Schoen probably does not have the ability to get off the line without the running start and the 1 yard cushion off the ball. In the NFL if you can't explode of the line and beat the jam you are not going to be successful.
Schoen is the perfect cfl receiver. NFL not so much

Could be true, I don't watch the NFL so I don't know the different requirements.  One thing I think Schoen does better than most receivers is run routes at top speed and never take any off.  Basically he works harder than other receivers in the league and applies his talent to the utmost. 

As for his speed, he's not quick but he is fast once he gets going which surprises DB's trying to keep up with him, he exploits the waggle to great effect.  He also memorized the playbook from day one which sets him apart and is a benefit of having an older receiver like Ellingson to guide him.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on December 02, 2022, 05:18:58 PM
Could be true, I don't watch the NFL so I don't know the different requirements.  One thing I think Schoen does better than most receivers is run routes at top speed and never take any off.  Basically he works harder than other receivers in the league and applies his talent to the utmost. 

As for his speed, he's not quick but he is fast once he gets going which surprises DB's trying to keep up with him, he exploits the waggle to great effect.  He also memorized the playbook from day one which sets him apart and is a benefit of having an older receiver like Ellingson to guide him.

It is true. Only in the CFL can a receiver move towards the LOS prior to the snap, giving a running start and allowing him to pick up speed quicker once he hits the LOS and runs his route. This motion is known as the waggle and a receiver like Schoen used that heavily to his advantage during his rookie season.

NFL rules don't allow for such motion, so it could be a matter of that changing the effectiveness of a receiver who uses the waggle to his advantage.

Schoen is a prototypical CFL receiver, IMO. He uses his skill set and the waggle to make him an extremely lethal receiver to cover.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on December 02, 2022, 06:21:26 PM
It is true. Only in the CFL can a receiver move towards the LOS prior to the snap, giving a running start and allowing him to pick up speed quicker once he hits the LOS and runs his route. This motion is known as the waggle and a receiver like Schoen used that heavily to his advantage during his rookie season.

NFL rules don't allow for such motion, so it could be a matter of that changing the effectiveness of a receiver who uses the waggle to his advantage.

Schoen is a prototypical CFL receiver, IMO. He uses his skill set and the waggle to make him an extremely lethal receiver to cover.

I know the difference in rules, what I meant is I don't know what skills make a receiver more suitable for the NFL game.  Surprised Dressler ever got a look as I would assume size is important.

the paw

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on December 02, 2022, 06:39:02 PM
I know the difference in rules, what I meant is I don't know what skills make a receiver more suitable for the NFL game.  Surprised Dressler ever got a look as I would assume size is important.

Being bigger is important to NFL chances.  Dressler was getting a look as a returner more than a receiver in the NFL.

Body control, and the ability to make contested grabs, is important.  Guys who rely on getting separation on the wider CFL field are in less demand than guys who can haul one in with someone on their back.

Also, with no waggle, guys who have great acceleration from a standing start.  The CFL has lots of receivers who run great routes and have good hands, but they need the running start.  Those guys have a tougher time down south.
grab grass 'n growl

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on December 02, 2022, 06:39:02 PM

Burst speed off the LOS is probably the most important.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

ModAdmin

Blue Bombers Transactions - December 2, 2022

WINNIPEG, MB., December 2, 2022 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the following roster transactions:

Released from roster:

Canadian defensive back Patrice Rene
Canadian defensive back Malcolm Thompson
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Blue In BC

Quote from: ModAdmin on December 02, 2022, 08:24:24 PM
Blue Bombers Transactions - December 2, 2022

WINNIPEG, MB., December 2, 2022 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the following roster transactions:

Released from roster:

Canadian defensive back Patrice Rene
Canadian defensive back Malcolm Thompson

I had high hopes for both of those individuals. Neither were potential free agents so I guess that says a lot.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

M.O.A.B.

Quote from: Blue In BC on December 02, 2022, 08:33:04 PM
I had high hopes for both of those individuals. Neither were potential free agents so I guess that says a lot.

One got to think this maybe related to their injuries?
Malcolm was injured earlier came back for a bit then got injured again.
Rene got limited time on the active roster then got injured, I believe with games remaining.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on December 02, 2022, 08:52:38 PM
Rene got limited time on the active roster then got injured, I believe with games remaining.

Could also be their decision, perhaps due to location or opportunities outside of football.

Blue In BC

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on December 02, 2022, 08:52:38 PM

Could be injury related or opportunities outside of football. That said, it doesn't require the team to release them if they had other opportunities. Rene was a 1st year player so that in particular surprised me. Thompson was the starter at safety before his injury while Alexander couldn't play.

The team might have been really impressed with how Ford progressed in practice during the season. He looked pretty good in the one game he did get to start. Lavigne was also on the PR and may get re-signed?

It certainly wasn't SMS related because neither would have been expensive players.

We'll see if they get picked up elsewhere or whether Bombers pick up a free agent in February. Just a guess but we probably now decide to draft one in the 2023 draft. Not necessarily with a high pick but there will be new competition one way or the other. DL / OL would be where I expect draft priorities but we'll see who the best available players turn out to be.

2019 Grey Cup Champions