@EdTaitWFC

33m
Notes from @Wpg_BlueBombers
GM Kyle Walters' presser:
-O'Shea extension not signed yet
-No NFL team has asked to work out Dalton Schoen or other players
-Club will look at all spots this winter, incl K
-Not worried about his contract. Will sit down w. Wade Miller 'at some point.'
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

ModAdmin

Paul Friesen
@friesensunmedia
5h
#Bombers GM Kyle Walters: no signed contract yet for coach Mike O?Shea, no requests for NFL workouts for anyone so far, no players indicating they?re heading for free agency yet.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: ModAdmin on December 01, 2022, 09:04:58 PM
Paul Friesen
@friesensunmedia
5h
#Bombers GM Kyle Walters: no signed contract yet for coach Mike O?Shea, no requests for NFL workouts for anyone so far, no players indicating they?re heading for free agency yet.

O'Shea is holding out for a pink '73 Eldorado convertible to pimp out, and a straw hat.  He's worth it.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: ModAdmin on December 01, 2022, 09:04:58 PM
Paul Friesen
@friesensunmedia
5h

Great news so far, might have to reserve a spot for Schoen after all.

Tiger

I am shocked no one wants speak with Schoen
Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger

ModAdmin

Quote from: Tiger on December 02, 2022, 04:50:42 AM
I am shocked no one wants speak with Schoen

It's amazing - leading receiver in the league, young, seemingly a good head on his shoulder, team guy, excellent receiver, CFL rookie of the year - he deserves some NFL consideration.

Jesse

It's only been a couple of weeks.

But I will stay two things on the "Schoen staying in the CFL" side: He'll be 27 going into next NFL season and his best plays were of the broken variety when he and Zach found the connection on the run; he may not have shown the ability to get open using his speed/route running.
My wife is amazing!

Sec223

Quote from: Jesse on December 02, 2022, 12:13:04 PM

But I will stay two things on the "Schoen staying in the CFL" side: He'll be 27 going into next NFL season and his best plays were of the broken variety when he and Zach found the connection on the run; he may not have shown the ability to get open using his speed/route running.
Good CFL receiver for sure. NFL ? Doubtful. Is he fast enough to play down there ? Great for the bombers if he stays obviously. Then they can use Ellingsons money elsewhere. Kicker ? Big dude in the middle of the D line ? Stove come home!

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Jesse on December 02, 2022, 12:13:04 PM

He no doubt benefits from the waggle, so that could be something to consider with regards to another NFL look.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

BlueGold8597

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on December 02, 2022, 02:08:05 PM
He no doubt benefits from the waggle, so that could be something to consider with regards to another NFL look.

This.
Schoen probably does not have the ability to get off the line without the running start and the 1 yard cushion off the ball. In the NFL if you can't explode of the line and beat the jam you are not going to be successful.
Schoen is the perfect cfl receiver. NFL not so much

Blue In BC

Quote from: BlueGold8597 on December 02, 2022, 02:58:16 PM
This.
Schoen probably does not have the ability to get off the line without the running start and the 1 yard cushion off the ball. In the NFL if you can't explode of the line and beat the jam you are not going to be successful.

Good point.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Tiger

Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger

theaardvark

There were reports that there were a dozen teams interested in Schoen, and that he had workouts scheduled with two....

Do NFL teams need to request from Walters the ability to talk to players under contract about interest during the "NFL window"?  

When is the official "NFL window"?  

Wondering why there are contradictory statements from Walters, re: deal being done with O'Shea and interest in Schoen.  I understand that his statements may be "factual", but are they misleading?

Reporter question followup, "You stated that no one has requested to try out Schoen, but does the information you have make you anticipate NFL teams will be approaching him during the NFL window, and if they wish to sign him, will you be granting his release per league practice?"
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

TBURGESS

Quote from: theaardvark on December 02, 2022, 03:29:40 PM
There were reports that there were a dozen teams interested in Schoen, and that he had workouts scheduled with two....

Do NFL teams need to request from Walters the ability to talk to players under contract about interest during the "NFL window"?  

Wondering why there are contradictory statements from Walters, re: deal being done with O'Shea and interest in Schoen.  I understand that his statements may be "factual", but are they misleading?

Reporter question followup, "You stated that no one has requested to try out Schoen, but does the information you have make you anticipate NFL teams will be approaching him during the NFL window, and if they wish to sign him, will you be granting his release per league practice?"
A dozen teams interested in Schoen? I think you're mixing Schoen & Rourke up.
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

Jesse

You are definitely thinking about Rourke.

NFL teams have to send in written permission to ask for Schoen to workout, then a further written request to sign him, at which point we release him (Walters said all this in his interview).

The window closes at the end of January, right before FA.
My wife is amazing!

theaardvark

Quote from: TBURGESS on December 02, 2022, 03:35:45 PM
A dozen teams interested in Schoen? I think you're mixing Schoen & Rourke up.

You may be right... I get confused easily, the problem with getting old...

https://www.tsn.ca/cfl/video/schoen-expected-to-pursue-nfl-opportunities-after-dominant-rookie-season~2567373

Probably mixed this and the Rourke reports up...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: theaardvark on December 02, 2022, 03:44:37 PM
You may be right... I get confused easily, the problem with getting old...

https://www.tsn.ca/cfl/video/schoen-expected-to-pursue-nfl-opportunities-after-dominant-rookie-season~2567373

Probably mixed this and the Rourke reports up...
one thing he did say was he would rather be playing in  "meaningful" games than being a spectator.    Obviously his stock value will have risen after the season he's had here yet he also knows the realities of making it as a starter in the NFL.
IF he stays here, he would command a significant pay raise for that to happen and I'm sure KW would make room for that to happen.   Perhaps not Kenny Lawler money however it would have to be competitive knowing what his stock value would be for any other CFL team
Bomber fan for life

theaardvark

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on December 02, 2022, 04:07:32 PM
one thing he did say was he would rather be playing in  "meaningful" games than being a spectator.    Obviously his stock value will have risen after the season he's had here yet he also knows the realities of making it as a starter in the NFL.
IF he stays here, he would command a significant pay raise for that to happen and I'm sure KW would make room for that to happen.   Perhaps not Kenny Lawler money however it would have to be competitive knowing what his stock value would be for any other CFL team

If he stays here he still has a year on his ELC, not sure what kind of pay bump is allowed.  I'd be all for giving him top receiver pay, but we also have Demski to consider in that budget...  and potentially a replacement for Ellingson or even Bailey...

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on December 02, 2022, 04:14:14 PM
If he stays here he still has a year on his ELC, not sure what kind of pay bump is allowed.  I'd be all for giving him top receiver pay, but we also have Demski to consider in that budget...  and potentially a replacement for Ellingson or even Bailey...

I don't think he'll get a raise without a significant time extension. Just adding one more year more than 2023 creates the same problem in 2024. So I think a new contract for 2023 to 2025 would work for both sides. Something with some added incentives as well as base pay.

The fly in the ointment is the cumulative impact of 27 free agents that we have. Many deserve more but you can only cut the pie in so many ways.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Walters answered all your questions in the interview below.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2022/12/01/kyle-walters-december-1-2022/

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: BlueGold8597 on December 02, 2022, 02:58:16 PM
This.

Could be true, I don't watch the NFL so I don't know the different requirements.  One thing I think Schoen does better than most receivers is run routes at top speed and never take any off.  Basically he works harder than other receivers in the league and applies his talent to the utmost. 

As for his speed, he's not quick but he is fast once he gets going which surprises DB's trying to keep up with him, he exploits the waggle to great effect.  He also memorized the playbook from day one which sets him apart and is a benefit of having an older receiver like Ellingson to guide him.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on December 02, 2022, 05:18:58 PM
Could be true, I don't watch the NFL so I don't know the different requirements.  One thing I think Schoen does better than most receivers is run routes at top speed and never take any off.  Basically he works harder than other receivers in the league and applies his talent to the utmost. 

As for his speed, he's not quick but he is fast once he gets going which surprises DB's trying to keep up with him, he exploits the waggle to great effect.  He also memorized the playbook from day one which sets him apart and is a benefit of having an older receiver like Ellingson to guide him.

It is true. Only in the CFL can a receiver move towards the LOS prior to the snap, giving a running start and allowing him to pick up speed quicker once he hits the LOS and runs his route. This motion is known as the waggle and a receiver like Schoen used that heavily to his advantage during his rookie season.

NFL rules don't allow for such motion, so it could be a matter of that changing the effectiveness of a receiver who uses the waggle to his advantage.

Schoen is a prototypical CFL receiver, IMO. He uses his skill set and the waggle to make him an extremely lethal receiver to cover.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on December 02, 2022, 06:21:26 PM
It is true. Only in the CFL can a receiver move towards the LOS prior to the snap, giving a running start and allowing him to pick up speed quicker once he hits the LOS and runs his route. This motion is known as the waggle and a receiver like Schoen used that heavily to his advantage during his rookie season.

NFL rules don't allow for such motion, so it could be a matter of that changing the effectiveness of a receiver who uses the waggle to his advantage.

Schoen is a prototypical CFL receiver, IMO. He uses his skill set and the waggle to make him an extremely lethal receiver to cover.

I know the difference in rules, what I meant is I don't know what skills make a receiver more suitable for the NFL game.  Surprised Dressler ever got a look as I would assume size is important.

the paw

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on December 02, 2022, 06:39:02 PM
I know the difference in rules, what I meant is I don't know what skills make a receiver more suitable for the NFL game.  Surprised Dressler ever got a look as I would assume size is important.

Being bigger is important to NFL chances.  Dressler was getting a look as a returner more than a receiver in the NFL.

Body control, and the ability to make contested grabs, is important.  Guys who rely on getting separation on the wider CFL field are in less demand than guys who can haul one in with someone on their back.

Also, with no waggle, guys who have great acceleration from a standing start.  The CFL has lots of receivers who run great routes and have good hands, but they need the running start.  Those guys have a tougher time down south.
grab grass 'n growl

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on December 02, 2022, 06:39:02 PM

Burst speed off the LOS is probably the most important.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

ModAdmin

Blue Bombers Transactions - December 2, 2022

WINNIPEG, MB., December 2, 2022 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the following roster transactions:

Released from roster:

Canadian defensive back Patrice Rene
Canadian defensive back Malcolm Thompson

Blue In BC

Quote from: ModAdmin on December 02, 2022, 08:24:24 PM
Blue Bombers Transactions - December 2, 2022

WINNIPEG, MB., December 2, 2022 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the following roster transactions:

Released from roster:

Canadian defensive back Patrice Rene
Canadian defensive back Malcolm Thompson

I had high hopes for both of those individuals. Neither were potential free agents so I guess that says a lot.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

M.O.A.B.

Quote from: Blue In BC on December 02, 2022, 08:33:04 PM
I had high hopes for both of those individuals. Neither were potential free agents so I guess that says a lot.

One got to think this maybe related to their injuries?
Malcolm was injured earlier came back for a bit then got injured again.
Rene got limited time on the active roster then got injured, I believe with games remaining.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on December 02, 2022, 08:52:38 PM
Rene got limited time on the active roster then got injured, I believe with games remaining.

Could also be their decision, perhaps due to location or opportunities outside of football.

Blue In BC

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on December 02, 2022, 08:52:38 PM

Could be injury related or opportunities outside of football. That said, it doesn't require the team to release them if they had other opportunities. Rene was a 1st year player so that in particular surprised me. Thompson was the starter at safety before his injury while Alexander couldn't play.

The team might have been really impressed with how Ford progressed in practice during the season. He looked pretty good in the one game he did get to start. Lavigne was also on the PR and may get re-signed?

It certainly wasn't SMS related because neither would have been expensive players.

We'll see if they get picked up elsewhere or whether Bombers pick up a free agent in February. Just a guess but we probably now decide to draft one in the 2023 draft. Not necessarily with a high pick but there will be new competition one way or the other. DL / OL would be where I expect draft priorities but we'll see who the best available players turn out to be.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

ModAdmin

Throw Long Bannatyne

Seems a bit strange no retirements announced yet, usually a few players each season decide it's time to move on with their lives, perhaps those announcements will come out early in the spring.

Jesse

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on December 28, 2022, 05:32:06 PM
Seems a bit strange no retirements announced yet, usually a few players each season decide it's time to move on with their lives, perhaps those announcements will come out early in the spring.

I don't really expect any Bomber retirements...
My wife is amazing!

Blue In BC

Quote from: Jesse on December 29, 2022, 02:32:33 AM
I don't really expect any Bomber retirements...

I'm not that certain that Mike Miller or J. Briggs might not be considering retirement. Both could still play and SMS is not a huge issue for either. OTOH every player has to draw a line for moving on at some point.

Even Ellingson might think it over as well. In his case there could be more of an issue if he's given a lower salary offer and / or reduced role. He turns 34 tomorrow and had year long nagging injuries.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

ModAdmin

ModAdmin

CFL News
@CFL_News
8h
Denver Broncos promote Canadian pass rusher Jonathan Kongbo to active roster https://3downnation.com/2022/12/31/denver-broncos-promote-canadian-pass-rusher-jonathan-kongbo-to-active-roster/
via @3DownNation
#NFL #Broncos #CFL

Blue In BC

Ok, 2023 and new SMS money is ready to use. Let the re-signings begin. I expect a couple to be done very quickly this coming week.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Quote from: Blue In BC on January 01, 2023, 05:40:52 PM
Ok, 2023 and new SMS money is ready to use. Let the re-signings begin. I expect a couple to be done very quickly this coming week.

Wasn't 2023 money always available for signings?  The only thing Jan 1, 2023 brought was an end to excess 2022 cap...

Throw Long Bannatyne

Is leftover 2022 cap money wiped from the books on Jan. 1st?  Reason I'm asking is a few CFL teams did very little post season to re-sign their own players, you would think there would be some urgency if that spending allowance suddenly expired.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on January 04, 2023, 06:35:07 PM
Is leftover 2022 cap money wiped from the books on Jan. 1st?  Reason I'm asking is a few CFL teams did very little post season to re-sign their own players, you would think there would be some urgency if that spending allowance suddenly expired.

As far as I know that is correct and we're now going to be using 2023 SMS. I'm more surprised we haven't started with a few re-signings this week!!!

Demski. C'mon down. Jeffcoat. C'mon down.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on January 04, 2023, 07:08:07 PM
Demski. C'mon down. Jeffcoat. C'mon down.

Did we ever find out why Jeffcoat left the GC?  No one saw him get injured.  Guess he aggravated whatever kept him out half the season.  Did we ever find out what that was??  The only thing I know about his injuries all year is the one-word nonsense the team puts out that tells you nothing (e.g. "hip").

I think it's important to know the full extent of his 2022 injuries when we decide whether to re-sign him for big coin or not.  It could be he's hit the injury wall and will "Stove" the rest of his career.  (I'm hoping not!)
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on January 05, 2023, 04:45:22 AM
Did we ever find out why Jeffcoat left the GC?  No one saw him get injured.  Guess he aggravated whatever kept him out half the season.  Did we ever find out what that was??  The only thing I know about his injuries all year is the one-word nonsense the team puts out that tells you nothing (e.g. "hip").

I think it's important to know the full extent of his 2022 injuries when we decide whether to re-sign him for big coin or not.  It could be he's hit the injury wall and will "Stove" the rest of his career.  (I'm hoping not!)

Good question. IIRC it was some sort of hip injury. He didn't practice much for a lot of the season. Whether it carries forward to 2023 that's for the team to know / decide.

I thought I heard a comment that Jeffcoat had signed in early December but announcements are always paced in the media. Don't know if that actually happened or not.

Team must be due to make some announcements about players re-signing, being released, or retired etc.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

M.O.A.B.

IIRC, 3Down rumored that Jeffcoat and Hardrick already re-signed but not announced yet. Yes it was early in December.

Jesse

My wife is amazing!

blue_gold_84

#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Pigskin

Would be nice to get Stetson Bennett on our neg. list.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Jesse

Quote from: Pigskin on January 10, 2023, 10:40:23 PM

I very much doubt that would ever lead to anything.

My wife is amazing!

Blue In BC

Quote from: Jesse on January 11, 2023, 12:33:51 AM
I very much doubt that would ever lead to anything.

Reportedly he won't even be a high NFL draft choice. The comment I heard was weak arm for the NFL.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Pigskin on January 10, 2023, 10:40:23 PM

No kidding, he looks like Doug Flutie, at 5'-11" 190 lbs. probably too small for the NFL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbzKLP_PpK8&ab_channel=JustBombsProductions

Jesse

Quote from: Blue In BC on January 11, 2023, 01:16:26 AM
Reportedly he won't even be a high NFL draft choice. The comment I heard was weak arm for the NFL.

I feel like, with QBs, if we know their names at this point of their career, it's a good bet they're not coming north.

With NIL's, he's probably already made more money than he would in a career up here, lol.
My wife is amazing!

Pigskin

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on January 11, 2023, 05:24:44 AM
No kidding, he looks like Doug Flutie, at 5'-11" 190 lbs. probably too small for the NFL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbzKLP_PpK8&ab_channel=JustBombsProductions

Agree, this guy is Flutie 2.0, but with a little more speed.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Jesse on January 11, 2023, 11:50:35 AM
I feel like, with QBs, if we know their names at this point of their career, it's a good bet they're not coming north.

With NIL's, he's probably already made more money than he would in a career up here, lol.

For anyone else wondering what the hell a "NIL" is it's the new acronym for "name, image, likeness"....and you're probably right, he's already become a Natl. celebrity for all the right reasons, unlike Johnny Manziel. 

The surprising thing about Bennett is he is 25 and still playing college football.

Blue In BC

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Jesse

Walters was talking on WST this afternoon and all but confirmed Demski and Jeffcoat will be back (referred to Hardrick as well but we know that one already).
My wife is amazing!

GOLDMEMBER

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

bludan

Listened to the interview with Kyle Walters today.  Always love listening to him speak about the team. He's so candid and straightforward.  Sounds like the offseason is going really well. Feeling optimistic we'll get a lot of our key guys back and have created a culture that allows us to pick up a few good vets such as Ellingson (who I'm really hoping we'll be able to retain) to team friendly contracts. 

I know 3DN was trying to create some drama with Kyle and his contract, but he really didn't sound like someone that plans to be going anywhere in the interview.  He sounded very happy with and optimistic about the future of the team and I'm really hoping we'll hear about an extension for him shortly.

TecnoGenius

If Jeffcoat is back I want to see him stay out of the tub.  If he's gonna 3 month the tub again, I want to see us sign a vet DE in the interim.  Either that or force Kongbo to come back  ;)

Having no Hansen and no Jeffcoat really stunk for that stretch of games.  Jeffcoat needs to make sure that nagging issue is healed in the off-season.  Let's hand it to Willie... that dude is amazing at staying uninjured in comparison to many DEs.
Never go full Rider!

Jesse

Quote from: TecnoGenius on January 12, 2023, 07:14:41 AM
If Jeffcoat is back I want to see him stay out of the tub.  If he's gonna 3 month the tub again, I want to see us sign a vet DE in the interim.  Either that or force Kongbo to come back  ;)

Having no Hansen and no Jeffcoat really stunk for that stretch of games.  Jeffcoat needs to make sure that nagging issue is healed in the off-season.  Let's hand it to Willie... that dude is amazing at staying uninjured in comparison to many DEs.

Players are going to get injured. I would like to see better roster management, tbh.

We need to have more than Willie and Jackson on the game day roster. They need to some snap relief and we need quality back-ups.
My wife is amazing!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Jesse on January 12, 2023, 11:45:42 AM
Players are going to get injured. I would like to see better roster management, tbh.

We need to have more than Willie and Jackson on the game day roster. They need to some snap relief and we need quality back-ups.

Agree 100%, if Jeffcoat could have been rotated more he may not have had to miss so much time, when healthy he may be the best pure pass rusher in the league.  Hansen should be back ready to rock but not convinced Keion Adams is a future starter, which is what they need to find considering the advancing age of the 2 Jeffs.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Jesse on January 12, 2023, 11:45:42 AM

Losing Kongbo didn't help. Is Adams still under contract?
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on January 12, 2023, 05:21:06 PM
Losing Kongbo didn't help. Is Adams still under contract?

Yes he is, hopefully we see a number of fresh faces in camp to challenge for his position.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on January 12, 2023, 06:14:42 PM
Yes he is, hopefully we see a number of fresh faces in camp to challenge for his position.

Adams is a pending free agent.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on January 12, 2023, 06:52:03 PM
Adams is a pending free agent.

You're right, I looked at the wrong list.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on January 12, 2023, 08:02:24 PM
You're right, I looked at the wrong list.

Chances are that he is re-signed. He appeared to be getting better each week. He's only played a total of 19 games so he's not going to earn much more than ELC. At worst he should get a new look in a full TC.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on January 12, 2023, 08:28:40 PM
Chances are that he is re-signed. He appeared to be getting better each week. He's only played a total of 19 games so he's not going to earn much more than ELC. At worst he should get a new look in a full TC.

Hard to say, Adams could have been a convenient hire after they traded Wilcots to the Ti-Cats or he could be the reason they traded him.  The only DE's that made an impact last season save Wilcots last game in Blue, were Jefferson and Jeffcoat.  If Kongbo ain't coming back they could really use a sparkplug like Kwaku Boateng who is a Natl. and a F.A. to sub with the 2 Jeffs, that could also work with the new Natl. American rule as either would qualify.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on January 12, 2023, 09:32:59 PM
Hard to say, Adams could have been a convenient hire after they traded Wilcots to the Ti-Cats or he could be the reason they traded him.  The only DE's that made an impact last season save Wilcots last game in Blue, were Jefferson and Jeffcoat.  If Kongbo ain't coming back they could really use a sparkplug like Kwaku Boateng who is a Natl. and a F.A. to sub with the 2 Jeffs, that could also work with the new Natl. American rule as either would qualify.

Part of my point is that he'd be an inexpensive re-signing with no bonus probable. I'm all for signing a guy like Boateng, Betts or Mauldin. It comes down to cost for all of those guys and wanting to start 80% of the time. So nothing suggests they will even be considered if we re-sign Jeffcoat which I expect.

As far as the comment about Nationalized Americans, having a Canadian DE to rotate makes that irrelevant in the same way when Kongbo was here. A DI is needed to take possibly 25% of all defensive snaps and / or be an emergency replacement for an in game injury.

In 2022 we failed to find that player.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on January 13, 2023, 12:19:20 AM
Part of my point is that he'd be an inexpensive re-signing with no bonus probable. I'm all for signing a guy like Boateng, Betts or Mauldin. It comes down to cost for all of those guys and wanting to start 80% of the time. So nothing suggests they will even be considered if we re-sign Jeffcoat which I expect.

As far as the comment about Nationalized Americans, having a Canadian DE to rotate makes that irrelevant in the same way when Kongbo was here. A DI is needed to take possibly 25% of all defensive snaps and / or be an emergency replacement for an in game injury.

In 2022 we failed to find that player.

One advantage with Boateng is he didn't play a single game for the RB's in 2022 due to injury, so his price should be less than the other 2 premium players you mentioned. He's also undersized for a DE, better as a rotational player than a full time starter.

Pigskin

I didn't don't think Betts in an FA?? this year.  Next off season could be interesting. Mason Bennett could return home to play in front of his family. Mason had a great year. 28T, 3ST, 5 sacks.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Pigskin

About 28 days left before FA starts. Right now we are looking very good. Keep the signing s coming.

Throw Long Bannatyne

ModAdmin

Multiple (unofficial) reports that Shayne Gauthier has re-signed with the Blue Bombers.  Stay tuned.

GOLDMEMBER

They sure are taking there sweet time with Demski!

Pete

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on January 25, 2023, 12:16:28 PM
They sure are taking there sweet time with Demski!
maybe he's pulling a Lawler and seeing if
tbere are teams out there that want to bid for his services

M.O.A.B.

My take on remaining 13 FAs

Absolutely must sign:
DEMSKI

Nice to re-sign but better options might be available at FA:
PRUKOP, GRANT, SAYLES, BAILEY, ADAMS, BRIGGS, DARBY

Nice to re-sign but options already existing within:
COUTURE

I'll pass:
ELLINGSON, MARUO, MASTON, TAYLOR

Pigskin

Demski is a must. Prukop, Grant, Sayles, Bailey, and Darby, all would be nice. Couture at the right price.

Blue In BC

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on January 25, 2023, 07:14:58 PM
My take on remaining 13 FAs

Absolutely must sign:
DEMSKI

Nice to re-sign but better options might be available at FA:
PRUKOP, GRANT, SAYLES, BAILEY, ADAMS, BRIGGS, DARBY

Nice to re-sign but options already existing within:
COUTURE

I'll pass:
ELLINGSON, MARUO, MASTON, TAYLOR

There may be better options in free agency but will we be able to sign them if they reach free agency. Bird in hand is better than 2 in the bush.  I don't know if we'll be able to compete getting Richardson back and SMS is going to be high.

Grant has 6 return TD's in 33 regular season games. Who might be better in free agency? SMS might be an issue but I want him back.

Sayles played well and seemed to get better as the season progressed. I expect he will return but there might be some thoughts in free agency.

Maruo was our 2nd best Global player. We do get Hansen back but I don't see much value in any of the other global players at the moment.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pete on January 25, 2023, 02:04:01 PM
maybe he's pulling a Lawler and seeing if
tbere are teams out there that want to bid for his services

I saw some interviews and read some articles that would hint Demski may want to look at getting paid Lawler $$ in FA.  No one said anything, but that's the general read I got from his demeanour.  I do not feel like he's a slam dunk for WPG.  I hope I'm wrong.

Is Demski miffed he barely got any looks in the GC?  He's our superstar explosion play guy and we virtually ignored him.

I have nothing solid to go on for any of this, it's just my impression and speculation.  I hope we read tomorrow that he re-signed.
Never go full Rider!

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: TecnoGenius on January 25, 2023, 11:21:45 PM
I saw some interviews and read some articles that would hint Demski may want to look at getting paid Lawler $$ in FA.  No one said anything, but that's the general read I got from his demeanour.  I do not feel like he's a slam dunk for WPG.  I hope I'm wrong.

Is Demski miffed he barely got any looks in the GC?  He's our superstar explosion play guy and we virtually ignored him.

I have nothing solid to go on for any of this, it's just my impression and speculation.  I hope we read tomorrow that he re-signed.

Demski is obviously a fantastic Canadian receiver but everyone has a price and if he wants anything close to Lawler money then I would pass.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on January 26, 2023, 12:48:10 PM
Demski is obviously a fantastic Canadian receiver but everyone has a price and if he wants anything close to Lawler money then I would pass.

Even Lawler might not be getting 2022 Lawler money. That's still up in the air. However I agree we can't be paying that kind of money.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Blue In BC on January 26, 2023, 01:03:31 PM
Even Lawler might not be getting 2022 Lawler money. That's still up in the air. However I agree we can't be paying that kind of money.

Fair. I just mean he's obviously our most important player still not signed but even he shouldn't have a blank cheque. For example, hypothetically, I would rather have Lawler over Demski and make up the ratio somewhere else, if we get into that kind of cash.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on January 26, 2023, 01:13:07 PM
Fair. I just mean he's obviously our most important player still not signed but even he shouldn't have a blank cheque. For example, hypothetically, I would rather have Lawler over Demski and make up the ratio somewhere else, if we get into that kind of cash.

Tough call when it comes down to ratio considerations. Lawler is a different kind of receiver and I'd say more of a pure deep threat and high point catch guy. Demski is also used in our running game

We struggled with finding good ratio options as depth in 2022, particularly on defence. On offence O'Leary-Orange looked to have upside.

Whether we make up the ratio somewhere in free agency is possible but an unknown question / risk. Timing of what happens with options once free agency happens is not something I look forward to. That applies to any player we might lose against what player we might gain.

Hopefully he does re-sign shortly. At the moment he's our biggest potential free agent IMO.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Blue In BC on January 26, 2023, 01:34:43 PM
Tough call when it comes down to ratio considerations. Lawler is a different kind of receiver and I'd say more of a pure deep threat and high point catch guy. Demski is also used in our running game

We struggled with finding good ratio options as depth in 2022, particularly on defence. On offence O'Leary-Orange looked to have upside.

Whether we make up the ratio somewhere in free agency is possible but an unknown question / risk. Timing of what happens with options once free agency happens is not something I look forward to. That applies to any player we might lose against what player we might gain.

Hopefully he does re-sign shortly. At the moment he's our biggest potential free agent IMO.

Not having Demski leaves you two obvious solutions: Having Wolitarsky and O'Leary-Orange both start. Or probably a better option: starting a Canadian safety and going with four imports at receiver. In 2023 that could look something like: Schoen, Bailey, Agudosi, Wolitarsky and another big import option with Demski's cash, Lawler, Lewis or something like that.

As good as Alexander is, I'm not sure how sustainable starting 6 Canadians is on offense indefinitely. Collaros isn't going to be superman forever. He is going to have to transition into more of a stationary pocket passer as he ages and he'll need plenty of weapons to help that transition.

Pigskin

Quote from: Blue In BC on January 26, 2023, 01:03:31 PM

I have never read or saw an interview where ND10 says he is looking for that kind of money.. It's all speculation. However I do believe ND10 is the best Canadian receiver in the CFL and probably looking for a 3 year deal, and would like to stay right here in Winnipeg where he works and lives in the off season. 

VictorRomano

If we can't sign Demski, I'd make a run at Gittens Jr (although he'll probably command a Demski-sized paycheque).  Barring that, I'd be OK with Lewis or Lawler.  None will come cheap, but I think you need to replace quality with quality.

Horseman

I have no inside information, but I feel that Demski will re-sign here without a doubt.

Pigskin

About 18 days left before FA starts. Lot's of time left to sign 5 or 6 more players.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on January 26, 2023, 01:49:35 PM

Not having Demski leaves you two obvious solutions: Having Wolitarsky and O'Leary-Orange both start. Or probably a better option: starting a Canadian safety and going with four imports at receiver. In 2023 that could look something like: Schoen, Bailey, Agudosi, Wolitarsky and another big import option with Demski's cash, Lawler, Lewis or something like that.

As good as Alexander is, I'm not sure how sustainable starting 6 Canadians is on offense indefinitely. Collaros isn't going to be superman forever. He is going to have to transition into more of a stationary pocket passer as he ages and he'll need plenty of weapons to help that transition.

It's fun to speculate about quality players like Lewis or Lawler. They could end up anywhere but at the moment I doubt they leave their current teams. Ditto for Demski. However, in theory they all could end up elsewhere.

I agree with the ratio alternatives you suggest based on our current roster. Both would be down grades and depth behind each would be in question. We might make a splash in free agency that changes our ratio regardless of what happens with Demski.

Not starting Alexander in particular isn't something I want to see.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on January 26, 2023, 01:49:35 PM
Not having Demski leaves you two obvious solutions: Having Wolitarsky and O'Leary-Orange both start.

I say we have to have Demski.  I often watched other teams' "3 keys to the game" videos on the other team websites in-season before we played them.  Almost every time the big key was "stop Demski".  It was literally the #1 concern on opposing D's minds.  They didn't care about Schoen, or Ellingson.  It was Demski.

After losing Lawler, I don't see how you start a WPG 2023 O without Demski in the slot.

I see no reason not to pay Demski $200k if he'll commit to a 2 or 3 year.  I could see other teams easily going $225 to poach him.  Over $250 will be hard to justify.  I don't think any WR/SB will get $300 this year.
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on January 27, 2023, 04:50:42 AM
I say we have to have Demski.  I often watched other teams' "3 keys to the game" videos on the other team websites in-season before we played them.  Almost every time the big key was "stop Demski".  It was literally the #1 concern on opposing D's minds.  They didn't care about Schoen, or Ellingson.  It was Demski.

After losing Lawler, I don't see how you start a WPG 2023 O without Demski in the slot.

I see no reason not to pay Demski $200k if he'll commit to a 2 or 3 year.  I could see other teams easily going $225 to poach him.  Over $250 will be hard to justify.  I don't think any WR/SB will get $300 this year.

I agree. $200K would be ok and $225K would be doable. Beyond that it may cost us somewhere else on the roster.  Demski might be worth more to any team but you have to draw a line somewhere across the roster and SMS.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pete

If your gonna pay 200k would you rather have Demski, Lewis,Lawler, or even Gittens. I don't see us going higher than 180k based on his yardage. Also this year Schoen had a bigger impact.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pete on January 28, 2023, 08:26:56 PM
If your gonna pay 200k would you rather have Demski, Lewis,Lawler, or even Gittens. I don't see us going higher than 180k based on his yardage. Also this year Schoen had a bigger impact.

As long as you're asking I'd rather have Demski. Several reasons. He's Canadian and that's worth more over Lewis or Lawler.  Gittens is very good and he's a little younger and taller. That said he doesn't have the chemistry or home town benefit that Demski currently has with Collaros. Demski is also used in the run game while Gittens is not. Gittens played 5 more games than Demski and only had 17 more receptions, so I don't think the yardage point is entirely valid, especially if take into account the running yardage.

Gittens had 5 TD's in 5 more  games than Demski while Demski had 10 TD's.

SMS value is a supply / demand issue. I think it would be hard to argue that Demski is not our most valuable Canadian. Bombers have imports pulling down $225K and some Canadian OL that could be near or over $200K.

Some teams may go hard to sign Demski if he reaches free agency. I choose to draw the line a little higher but that is based on that expectation.

Every player that gets more takes away what we have for other players as many have suggested each free agency.

I would have preferred that Collaros was closer to $500K than $600K as an example. I'd prefer that Demski was closer to your number so we could also bump up Schoen and retain Bailey.

If we lose Demski I'd certainly go after Gittens but more probably as a replacement for Ellingson.

It's true Schoen had a bigger impact but if he doesn't get an NFL offer he's still under contract in Winnipeg for 2023. So that's a bit moot at the moment.

I don't know what opportunities we will have to add players in free agency ( besides our own ). It's fluid as we spend, the surplus goes down. Makes free agency interesting each year.

Every action has an opposite reaction so to speak.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

There is no question that Demski is a must sign, at whatever price we need to spend.  There are places on the roster where you can economize, and we do have a lot of value players on the roster, and I have no doubt we will find more in training camp.

Demski knows, Walters knows, every GM in the league knows.  Its not going to be an easy signing, that's for sure. 

Signing before FA makes no sense, really.  He needs to get offers, and let Walters match.

This is where a continuity clause would make a big difference.  Being able to resign him before FA by offering some additional non SMS dollars, or some additional guaranteed $ could make a difference from waiting for FA and staying with his current team. 

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pete on January 28, 2023, 08:26:56 PM

Demski.  League-best NAT SB, and also swiss army knife to boot.  As our friend PJ would say: End Of

We are built around stacking the NATs on O.  We can't do 4 IMP WR.  And no one else will match Demski.

Gittens is still too green: give him another year or two.  He won't earn $200k this year.  Besides, he's a completely different style player: an inside bruiser (kinda like KSB), not an explosion TD-getter.  We have Bailey/Woli to be the bruisers, and even Schoen a bit.  We need the fast explosive guy in Demski.

Lawler/Lewis as #1/#2 receiver talent in the league (now that Burnham is gone) will command at least $250k.  But if we could have either for $200k, sure we take him as a replacement for Ellingson.  But that's after you've signed Demski.  :D  And at that point you've busted your budget.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on January 28, 2023, 10:15:13 PM
Signing before FA makes no sense, really.  He needs to get offers, and let Walters match.

But we all know KW "doesn't chase".  He'll put down the offer, almost certainly before FA, and it'll be "take it or leave it" for Demski.

The only way I can see it working out as you say is if KW withholds his offer, perhaps on the request of Demski, so Demski can field other offers, and then we can make ours competitive.

Keep in mind we used to pay buckets for AH33, and we're saving quite a bit "downgrading" to Brady.  That difference could easily go into Demski and be wholly justified.  At this stage Demski probably does deserve his payday.

I'll forever be curious as to why I get the feeling Demski has a bee in his bonnet.  He just didn't seem terribly happy the last 1.25 seasons.  Maybe losing the GC when he expected to win (and getting few touches) is causing consternation.  Who knows.  I hope I'm wrong and he'll be happy to sign for the decent offer I'm sure KW will make.
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on January 29, 2023, 04:45:33 AM
But we all know KW "doesn't chase".  He'll put down the offer, almost certainly before FA, and it'll be "take it or leave it" for Demski.

The only way I can see it working out as you say is if KW withholds his offer, perhaps on the request of Demski, so Demski can field other offers, and then we can make ours competitive.

Keep in mind we used to pay buckets for AH33, and we're saving quite a bit "downgrading" to Brady.  That difference could easily go into Demski and be wholly justified.  At this stage Demski probably does deserve his payday.

I'll forever be curious as to why I get the feeling Demski has a bee in his bonnet.  He just didn't seem terribly happy the last 1.25 seasons.  Maybe losing the GC when he expected to win (and getting few touches) is causing consternation.  Who knows.  I hope I'm wrong and he'll be happy to sign for the decent offer I'm sure KW will make.

We saved SMS room switching to Olveria / Augustine from AH's deal. However several players got raises in 2022 that used up SMS. Collaros among others got raises. In theory we used all our 2022 SMS well and didn't have a big pot of cash at the end of the rainbow.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

DM83

Demski is probably signed.
Ellingson, was a major disappointment, if he wants to play for a hundred. Grand , maybe Ok.
Bailey still came across as a third option, but what a great blocker.  He is maybe is a ?glue guy.?
The Bombers need a burner.

They need to protect Zac, and Hardrick didn?t look very good, nor did that turnstile at left guard.
Procup should. Sign elsewhere. He is pretty good, and excellent as a third down guy.

DBs, we seem to find many that are decent.  Alexander hopefully healed will help.  That guy at corner sucked last yr.  I think u know who I mean. Lol!

dd

Demski is absolute MUST sign. He's a very productive reciever, one that teams scheme around to stop, PLUS he's a NAT, and between him and BO/JA, we have highly productive NAT talent in impact positions. Absolute must sign. I'd also be moving on from Elingson....too old, too hurt last year, new FA season, let's try and get younger and healthier this time around.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: DM83 on January 29, 2023, 06:01:45 PM
They need to protect Zac, and Hardrick didn?t look very good, nor did that turnstile at left guard.
Procup should. Sign elsewhere. He is pretty good, and excellent as a third down guy.

Hardrick seems to drop off a tiny little bit each year, but he's still a top-5 OL.  If you watch most of his "whiffs" carefully you'll see he often picks an inside blitzer and leaves the outside guy for the RB, exactly as he should.  BO was good, but not as good as AH at guessing which unblocked guy to take.  My point is, many times the "Yoshi breakdowns" were actually a protection-unit breakdown.

LG is Gray.  He got better over the season.  He was horrifically bad at covering the A-gap for the first third of the season, but I think he and the C worked on that.  By the post-season I wasn't even noticing that A-gap problem anymore.  But Gray isn't Desjar (or even Speller), that's for sure.  My hope is he still has big upside (i.e. development), otherwise we can put Eli there.

I would look more at what guys and units cost us the GC.  That's where I want to focus, so when we're in the '23 GC we win it definitively.
Never go full Rider!

theaardvark

I really don't think we dropped a lot of SMS moving from AH33 to BO20/JA27... they are not getting ELC numbers...  there might have been a little savings, but not huge.

Demski is not just important for his numbers, but also his blocking, and his other contributions.  When he is on the roster, we are a better team, and he makes other players better with his presence.

M.O.A.B.

Im beginning to worry. Tampering window is not far away. Is KW having a hard time resigning our FAs? There's a lackof new coming out of the Bombers office.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on January 30, 2023, 05:11:07 PM
Im beginning to worry. Tampering window is not far away. Is KW having a hard time resigning our FAs? There's a lackof new coming out of the Bombers office.

Worry about whom? The core is back together. Demski maybe? The reality is if someone wants to overpay him he'll have to make a decision. Without any doubt we can assume that we've already fielded reasonable offers.

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on January 30, 2023, 04:51:10 PM
I really don't think we dropped a lot of SMS moving from AH33 to BO20/JA27... they are not getting ELC numbers...  there might have been a little savings, but not huge.

Demski is not just important for his numbers, but also his blocking, and his other contributions.  When he is on the roster, we are a better team, and he makes other players better with his presence.

Reportedly they both got about $92K - $94K. So that would have been about $30K each after their ELC deal. AH was getting about $180K ( maybe more ) in 2021 and all 3 were on the AR.

So yes, we saved a significant amount of SMS in that decision. Of course we added another Canadian somewhere else on the roster on an ELC. Most likely we could say that was to add Ford or Dobson onto the roster instead of having 3 Canadian RB's.

Even with that it still would have saved about $60K in that series of changes.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pigskin

I am hoping the Bomber announce 2 or 3 signings tomorrow.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Pigskin on January 30, 2023, 09:52:32 PM
I am hoping the Bomber announce 2 or 3 singings tomorrow.
Why do you say tomorrow in particular?

Jesse

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on January 30, 2023, 10:12:49 PM

This was my question, lol.

Something I don't know?
My wife is amazing!

Pigskin

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on January 30, 2023, 10:12:49 PM

Just love to see the Bombers sign a couple of players before the end of the month. Maybe Demski and Darby. Or Demski and Bailey.

M.O.A.B.

legal tampering window opens this Sun right?

Nic16

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on January 31, 2023, 02:38:34 PM
legal tampering window opens this Sun right?

Yup?noon eta on Sunday until the following Sunday. Then the 48 hr window kicks in before UFA day.

Blue In BC

I'd like to see a few of our top 5-6 potential free agents re-signed before they reach free agency. The closer it gets the more nervous I am. It's also a bit of a surprised that some of the tier 2 players on our list haven't been re-signed or announced. Players like Adams, Maruo and Prokop for example. These are not high SMS guys.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pete

Prukop may be waiting as he did last year to see what opportunities are available, I don't know if Adams  was a good solution as a rotational dl.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pete on January 31, 2023, 05:56:19 PM
Prukop may be waiting as he did last year to see what opportunities are available, I don't know if Adams  was a good solution as a rotational dl.

Adams wasn't the next Jefferson but IMO he was good enough to get an invite to TC. He's not going to get a bonus or much more than an ELC. I wouldn't say he's a lock to make the roster but I wouldn't be upset one way or the other.
2019 Grey Cup Champions