Potential Bombers free agents 2023

Started by KINGCHARLES, November 21, 2022, 11:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue In BC

Nice start. 3 of the big guns signed since the Grey Cup.  About 1every 3 days. Keep up the good work Walters.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pete

I don't normally like Chris Jones, but have to say I admire that he makes the decision to release players early to give them a better chance to resign elsewhere or make other plans.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pete on December 01, 2022, 11:06:41 PM
I don't normally like Chris Jones, but have to say I admire that he makes the decision to release players early to give them a better chance to resign elsewhere or make other plans.

What about when he makes 6 or more roster changes every week during the season? He's a putz.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pete

Like I said I'm not a fan either, but he's honest with his players if they are not in his plans.

theaardvark

Did he?  This was for the players sake?  Sheldon and Lussier-South were not pending FA's..

The releases put Jones in the news, again, when nothing else is going on.  By making these releases, he is positioning himself in a different way than other GMs.  He has declared to other GM's his interests and telegraphed his moves, for what advantage? 

There are reasons GM's "play their cards close to their chest".  Sure, if you are avoiding a roster bonus situation on a player you do not intend to continue with, you release early.  Otherwise, unless that player has requested out, this move does not strengthen a GM's position.  You can leave these guys on the roster for the FA day scramble, or release them early so other teams can decide their action on them at their leisure.

Sorry, can't see this as a smart move, and as far as "doing it for the players", I'm sure every player is just waiting for the call that the worst team in the league is not interested in going forward with you, so they are letting you go to pursue other opportunities.  Great news...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

the paw

I don't think he is being generous or kind, I think he is following a strategy.

By releasing guys he has no plans for, he sends a signal to pending free agents that there are positions open.  Also, if other teams bite on any of the released players they diminish their budget for free agency and lessen his competition for other players he might be interested in. 

For example, if a team signs Decoud (probably the only player on that list with tread left on the tires) then that team will be one less bidder for any other long, lean cornerback that hits free agency. 

It does work to the player's advantage as well, so it is a win-win way to go. 
grab grass 'n growl

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Pete on December 02, 2022, 02:10:58 PM
Like I said I'm not a fan either, but he's honest with his players if they are not in his plans.

I may be the only person that likes Jones honesty and the colour he brings to the CFL, he took on a difficult situation and he gives players an opportunity to prove they can play when others won't.  In the long-term he's proved his methods work and his judgement is sound, we'll see if the Elks improve next season or continue to flounder.

Jesse

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on December 02, 2022, 06:34:13 PM
I may be the only person that likes Jones honesty and the colour he brings to the CFL, he took on a difficult situation and he gives players an opportunity to prove they can play when others won't.  In the long-term he's proved his methods work and his judgement is sound, we'll see if the Elks improve next season or continue to flounder.

Honestly didn't hear one word about him all season. I completely forget most of the time who the Elks coach is.

Seems to only make headlines when he's winning.
My wife is amazing!

Pigskin

We are getting a little off topic with all the talk about Jones. Let's try and keep this about the Bombers free agents or possible free agents.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Pete

Of our free agents who do you think may not get resigned -unless they accept a substantial pay cut. My thoughts are:
Nick Taylor ,,,going to be 35... we have a number of younger options,,parker,lawrence, holms, houston
Jeffcoat  ..we're paying a lot of money for someone who seems injured a lot  (sonce 2018 never played more than 12 games and often when he does play isnt 100%)
Hardrick..  injuries again starting to increase as he gets older as does his effectiveness
Ellingson  ..will be 34 , I thought he was great in the first half of the year until injuries hit

We do need to get younger

M.O.A.B.

I think we'll move on from Ellingson.

Hardrick will retire as a Bomber but not yet this year.

Jeffcoat, I'm not sure. He's not that young at 31 and did not complete a full-season.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on December 02, 2022, 08:57:08 PM
I think we'll move on from Ellingson.

Hardrick will retire as a Bomber but not yet this year.

Jeffcoat, I'm not sure. He's not that young at 31 and did not complete a full-season.

Jeffcoat can still play at a high level, re-watched the G.C. last night and he was harassing MBT repeatedly throughout the first half.

Pete

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on December 02, 2022, 09:01:36 PM
Jeffcoat can still play at a high level, re-watched the G.C. last night and he was harassing MBT repeatedly throughout the first half.
then in the second half he was injured and we had to play short handed..one of the key abilities is availability

Jesse

I certainly don't expect Nick Taylor back at this point in his life/career.

Hardrick is a virtual lock to return, imo. Walters has to have an eye on the future with our OL, of course.

I don't know what to do with Jeffcoat. For what it's worth, Jon Hodge has said multiple times to expect him to re-sign shortly.
My wife is amazing!

Sec223

Quote from: Jesse on December 03, 2022, 12:21:52 PM
I certainly don't expect Nick Taylor back at this point in his life/career.

Hardrick is a virtual lock to return, imo. Walters has to have an eye on the future with our OL, of course.

I don't know what to do with Jeffcoat. For what it's worth, Jon Hodge has said multiple times to expect him to re-sign shortly.

Bombers need a beast in the middle to free up  pass rushers. This is  probably be the last year having the "band" all together. Always need to be injecting youth and making the tough decisions.